Products Support > GSX Support MSFS

Can't RELINK - GSX Pro and External USB drives

(1/5) > >>

virtuali:
Some users reported a failure of the FSDT Installer to Link the GSX packages correctly, even if the installation seems to have been completed, resulting in the install button always indicating "Relink", with no reaction when clicked.

In all reported cases, user had their Community folder on an external USB drive formatted as exFat. Most external drives ships pre-formatted this way, so they can be used immediately on Windows, Mac or Linux, but on Windows, some features might be missing. In our case, when need to create a "Symbolic Link", which is the most modern kind of link, supported by Windows 10 and above, but it's no available on the exFat filesystem, they require NTFS.

The only possible solution is:

- Reformat the drive in NTFS.

This is the best solution long term, because NTFS it's a more reliable filesystem, which handles better file corruption or bad sectors, and it supports 100% of the Windows filesystem functions, so it's compatible with more Windows applications. Since on external drives, the chance of losing data due to a power loss ( cable disconnected, for example ) are even higher than on an internal drive, not using NTFS it's even more dangerous.

The issue is, most external drives come pre-formatted on factory in ExFat, so you can use them right away on PC, Mac and Linux without reformatting, but it means they are using the lowest common denominator system, which doesn't offer any of the reliability features of each OS.

There are some ways to change to NTFS without losing data, some have been explained here:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-master/convert-exfat-to-ntfs.html

Westtomfc:
How do I do the first method with the free Add-on linker as I am confused how to do it?

Westtomfc:
Please could you give me step by step instructions for the free Adon linker method
Thanks tom

Magic Man:
Details and methods for symbolic links and junctions...
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

Westtomfc:
Is it a problem and what should I do if I don't have the "\Addon Manager\MSFS\fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways" folder

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version