Author Topic: COUATL scripting engine not starting in MSFS  (Read 70098 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: COUATL scripting engine not starting in MSFS
« Reply #210 on: August 21, 2022, 02:42:58 am »
I only have MSFS installed and do not have any components installed for anything related to P3D and it still does not work for me. If it loads without the scripting engine error, the window simply does not open. I can click all day and nothing happens. Other times I switch airports and it will say scripting engine is not running and it is plainly seen in the taskbar.

Which only means my previous answer might not apply TO YOU.

I feel like the time for blaming out of date servers is past and it's time to start thinking of a new solution. Even the lowest of budget hosting providers should be able to replicate content by now.

It's also wrong of you to imply that you are "sure" servers are unrelated to YOUR (likely different, but we'll see about that), without having any evidence of that. But that's besides the point. The point is I was replying to a VERY SPECIFIC question about installation order, which was a follow up to explain why installing only for MSFS DID FIX a problem some users with P3D were having.

And this is CLEARLY a server replication problem, because what we have online IS surely compatible with both. Which also means, regardless of what you might think of my explanation to be an "excuse", it clearly isn't, otherwise we wouldn't have users that fixed their problem by removing the P3D version ? Even assuming YOUR case is not related to server, which is something we haven't proved yet, the very existence of those other cases is a clear proof that *some* servers are still not fully updated.

It would have been useful if you posted your Couatl.LOG after a startup, instead.

AaronMyers

« Reply #211 on: August 21, 2022, 04:31:29 am »
It's also wrong of you to imply that you are "sure" servers are unrelated to YOUR (likely different, but we'll see about that), without having any evidence of that.

I wasn't trying to imply anything other than the response about the servers not having current copies yet is one that needs to be put to bed. If after two full days your servers don't have the most recent files then it is quite possibly the worst hosting service I've heard of. Even if that turns out to be true, perhaps it is time for you to find an alternate solution at this point is it not? Doesn't seem reasonable to ask customers to simply wait for an unknown time and run the updater an undetermined number of times hoping that someday it will work.

I'm a long time customer which is why I didn't think twice before clicking the buy button on this one, but this launch followed by the subsequent argumentative behavior when your customers are reaching out for help has really soured my view of FSDT as a whole.

By the way, I did look for that log file which does not appear anywhere on my drive, though I do see Couatl.err, not sure if that is the same thing. The manual says to enable I have to edit the %APPDATA%\virtuali\COUATL _ MSFS.INI file which does not exist. I have %APPDATA%\virtuali\Couatladdons.INI, is that what needs to be edited?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2022, 04:53:50 am »
I wasn't trying to imply anything other than the response about the servers not having current copies yet is one that needs to be put to bed. If after two full days your servers don't have the most recent files then it is quite possibly the worst hosting service I've heard of.

And that's where you completely missed the whole explanation. OUR servers ARE perfectly updated, to the second. The issue is, you are NEVER connected directly to them!

If you could really connect directly, the server would have crashes in a couple of minutes, if not less, after release. In that case, the result would have been that *nobody* would be able to download *anything* and, the moment we restarted the server, it would crash again. And you wouldn't even be able to come here to get help, because also the forum would have been down with the server.

To make something like this working, we MUST use a CDN (Content Distribution Network), we use Cloudflare, which is by far the most popular. They have about 260 nodes worldwide, so users will connect to the one closer to their location. It's likely each node would have hundreds if not thousands of servers, so it's a fairly complex system. It also became very obliquus, to the point that when they have issues, millions of sites would be affected at the same time, like the sky is falling, the end of the world, last one happened very recently, in June:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/6/21/23176519/cloudflare-outage-june-2022-discord-shopify-fitbit-peleton

Cloudflare's job is to REPLICATE files from individual hosts on their own servers, but it's not as if they just "copy" the whole server at once, that would be highly inefficient. They download a file from our server as soon as the first user will ask a download for it. Cloudflare check if it has the file, and if it hasn't or it has an older version, it will download the current version from our site will serve *that* to users, and will store that file until it gets changed again. The next user asking for that file, Cloudflare will see the file hasn't changed, so it will just serve the file without downloading it again from us.

This happens automatically, we don't have much control over which node gets what, the only thing we can do is asking for a forced "purge" of a particular file, so Cloudflare will just remove it, resulting in the next user asking for it surely getting it from our server, because Cloudflare simply doesn't have it anymore.

Obviously, we have a fully automated and tested system that, as soon we change a file, will send a request to purge it from Cloudflare's cache so, the challenges are:

- The purge command *itself* must be replicated. If I sent a purge command to Cloudflare to remove a specific file from the cache, the command must be replicated on ALL Cloudflare servers, removing it from all of them, so regardless where the next users asking for that file is coming from, every node would behave the same way, and will download the file from our server, to be ready to be serve directly to the next user, and so on.

- When many users are downloading, the servers will likely perform the purge commands with some delay.

- GSX is very large, over 25000 files, and all of them, eventually, must arrive on all 260 nodes.

So yes, the server issues are real. Or should have said, the challenges of releasing a popular product with a big amount of files, over a CDN with 260 nodes, which is the only way to distribute such stuff, in a way that won't block a single access server, no matter how powerful it is.

may7day

« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2022, 06:33:53 am »
I have a question. When updating now window it shows updating 2 out of 37 ands the bars are going up but after that the updater disappears. Is that normal? what happened to the rest of the update?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2022, 06:44:28 am »
I have a question. When updating now window it shows updating 2 out of 37 ands the bars are going up but after that the updater disappears. Is that normal? what happened to the rest of the update?

The thing is you are probably assuming here the updater is only used for GSX. It used for all FSDT products and, put them together, they now require 37 steps to update them all. Unless you have everything from FSDT, you'll never see all steps performed.

And, since the Live Update, when started with the "Live Update" icon is supposed to be a "quick, update everything", which can possibly even be called in a batch file, since at the end of the process all products are updated and that interface can't do anything else, the only option you have at the end is to quit so...it just quits, saving you from an unnecessary extra click at the end, which will annoy those wanting to automate the whole process.

If you want to be "in control", reading messages, decide what to update, check thinks, don't use the Live Update icon, but the Installer icon, which does exactly the same thing, as updates are concerned, only it let's you be in control of the process.

Andreasmb

« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2022, 08:46:27 am »
Umberto, hello.

as outlined being also in the corner of running p3d and msfs and wanting of course to work both together yr sentence in one of your recent below text is the most interesting for me, guidance right now I have completely deinstalled and deactivated GSX pro after lots of too ans fro, and have P3D GSX and GSX2 working fine as they did for so long time, and wait for your GSX Pro installer solution leaving P3D untouched.

Yes, Umberto, I have surely read all, repeat all messages in this forum and know that the service provider servers should provide me with everything to have things working in parallel, but until now to no avail my end and many other ends….

now the the sentence of yours important for me was:
This while you wait an update for the P3D full installer, which will contain all the latest files, so it won't install old stuff in any case.
unquote

So
1. do I understand correctly that you will publish a new installer.exe file on your shop downloadpage soon which will achieve things working paralell? That would be great
2. will you let all purchasers of GSX pro know that its ready by direct email providing the link to such workable installer?

tks for answer
Andreas

Andreasmb

« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2022, 08:50:39 am »
Umberto,
and 3.
can you provide with such new installer the exact order of steps to take for those who have both P3D and MsFs on the machine, so that we can before using such installer take the right steps.

tks
Andreas

AaronMyers

« Reply #217 on: August 21, 2022, 08:53:01 am »
And that's where you completely missed the whole explanation. OUR servers ARE perfectly updated, to the second. The issue is, you are NEVER connected directly to them!

As someone who has worked in the IT industry for nearly 30 years I can tell you that I as the customer do not want or need to make any distinction between "your" servers, and the distribution network you use to deliver your product. That is minutia that you as the vendor make choices to try and deliver the best experience possible and you take ownership of those choices regardless if you physically own those services or not. Do you think my users give two shakes that it is really M365 that is down when their email doesn't work? Not one little bit. We still get the tickets and we still have to own that outage without explaining to the user ad nauseum that it really isn't "our" servers that are down.

This stuff happens and as the provider you should be owning that and looking for alternatives when plan A fails, not shrugging your shoulders and pointing the finger to your partners.

Airbuspeter

« Reply #218 on: August 21, 2022, 10:16:40 am »
here is a protkol from the /appdata/Virtuali Couatl.err

i have CDTs and couatl not strting

couatl v4.8 (build 4801)
panic log started on Sun Aug 21 09:54:23 2022

problem raised by engine or unspecified addon
{}
Simulator version (from MAIN.DLL) is 11.0.282174.999
isPBRAvailable returned  False
isRTTAvailable returned  False
GetSimObjectsFolder() returned  C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager/MSFS/fsdreamteam-gsx-pro/SimObjects
GetAdditionalSimObjectsFolder() returned  C:\Program Files (x86)\Addon Manager/MSFS/fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways/SimObjects
GetAdditionalSimObjectsFolderV5() returned 
GSX SimStart
Error: exception UNRECOGNIZED_ID in call SetDataOnSimObject param #2 '1419435600'
{}
Error: exception UNRECOGNIZED_ID in call SetDataOnSimObject param #2 '1419434480'
{}
GSX SimStop
Loading  aircraft.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\fnx-aircraft-320\SimObjects\Airplanes\fnx320
Loading  engines.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\fnx-aircraft-320\SimObjects\Airplanes\fnx320
Loading  flight_model.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\fnx-aircraft-320\SimObjects\Airplanes\fnx320
Loading  gameplay.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\fnx-aircraft-320\SimObjects\Airplanes\fnx320
Loading  systems.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\fnx-aircraft-320\SimObjects\Airplanes\fnx320
this airplane has 10 exits
WASM timeout timeElapsed 0
Main Menu loaded
GSX flightLoaded flights\other\MainMenu.FLT
aircraftDb.py provides aircraft data with priority 2  baseName =  FNX320
Using aircraft data from aircraftDb.py
Specific .cfg file for D-AIQS not found in E:\MSFS\Community\fnx-aircraft-320\SimObjects\Airplanes\fnx320, using standard GSX.CFG file
Specific .cfg file for D-AIQS not found in C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\fnx320, using standard GSX.CFG file
User collision geometries reloaded
GSX SimStart
Slew mode False
GSX SimStop
GSX SimStart
Loading  aircraft.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  engines.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  flight_model.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  gameplay.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  systems.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
this airplane has 15 exits
Airplane major/minor version: 737 700
aircraftDb.py provides aircraft data with priority 2  baseName =  PMDG 737-700
Specific .cfg file for EL-SEV not found in E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700, using standard GSX.CFG file
Specific .cfg file for EL-SEV not found in C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\PMDG 737-700, using standard GSX.CFG file
GSX SimStop
GSX flightLoaded C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\MISSIONS\Custom\CustomFlight\CustomFlight.FLT
Loading  aircraft.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  engines.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  flight_model.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  gameplay.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Loading  systems.cfg  from  E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700
Specific .cfg file for EL-SEV not found in E:\MSFS\Community\pmdg-aircraft-737\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG 737-700, using standard GSX.CFG file
Specific .cfg file for EL-SEV not found in C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Roaming\Virtuali/Airplanes\PMDG 737-700, using standard GSX.CFG file
GSX SimStart
Loading airport EDDS from \\?\E:\MSFS\Community\justsim-airport-edds-stuttgart\scenery\world\scenery\edds.bgl
Creating model cache...
Model cache created
Searching for jetways...
SharedMemInterface created
29 StaticObject found
onEnteredAirport EDDS
GSX SimStop
GSX SimStart
GSX SimStop
Main Menu loaded
GSX SimStart
onExitedAirport EDDS
GSX SimStop
GSX SimStart
GSX SimStop
GSX flightLoaded C:\Users\Peter\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\MISSIONS\Custom\CustomFlight\CustomFlight.FLT
GSX SimStart
Searching for jetways...
29 StaticObject found
onEnteredAirport EDDS
GSX SimStop
GSX SimStart
GSX SimStop
Main Menu loaded
GSX SimStart
onExitedAirport EDDS
GSX SimStop
Connection with Microsoft Flight Simulator lost (has it crashed?)
disconnected from SimConnect.

HB-JHK

« Reply #219 on: August 21, 2022, 12:00:54 pm »
Hi

Tried to fix it according the steps, but still have the same issue as others.

pls see my coutal.log

brgds
Massimo

kitty.hawk

« Reply #220 on: August 21, 2022, 12:13:51 pm »
I have the same problem. I deleted all FSDT files on my computer and installed it new. butno change. I am very disappointed to have iinvested 37€ for nothing. Even the advises of the admin are not very helpful

daschla

« Reply #221 on: August 21, 2022, 12:18:00 pm »
So
1. do I understand correctly that you will publish a new installer.exe file on your shop downloadpage soon which will achieve things working paralell? That would be great
2. will you let all purchasers of GSX pro know that its ready by direct email providing the link to such workable installer?

Yes, at least it would be good if you could post a message and stick it on the top when the new installer is ready. As I understood, installer for MSFS is fine, there will be just a new installer for GSX and GSX L2 Expansion so that no newer files from GSX Pro are overwritten when installing GSX for P3D. I assume, we can then install P3D on the top of MSFS.

Kind regards,
Daniel

agutz

« Reply #222 on: August 21, 2022, 12:25:54 pm »
I got the same "couatl scripting engine not starting" message.
There iis an interesting contribution on AVSIM
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/623125-exexml-not-starting-programs/?tab=comments#comment-4827713
that helped me: change the encoding of exe.xml to ntf-8.
Regards Andreas
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 12:27:27 pm by agutz »

Andreasmb

« Reply #223 on: August 21, 2022, 12:27:38 pm »
So

Yes, at least it would be good if you could post a message and stick it on the top when the new installer is ready. As I understood, installer for MSFS is fine, there will be just a new installer for GSX and GSX L2 Expansion so that no newer files from GSX Pro are overwritten when installing GSX for P3D. I assume, we can then install P3D on the top of MSFS.

Kind regards,
Daniel

Umberto,

supposing that my understanding as per my items 1. and 2. are correctly understood and there will be a new installer, then I would strongly suggest that such new installer is for MSFS GSX pro, making shure that such new install of GSX pro will not jeopardize existing P3d installs which are already working well on our machines, rather than as expressed above a new installer for P3d. Why a new installer for GSX pro rather than for P3D to coexist with GSX pro?

because such new Msfs installer wil also serve well for all future buyers of MsFS GSX pro who have already P3d Gsx running on their machines and avoid them to uninstall that, then install msfs Gsx pro and then P3D gsx again.

anyhow, looking forward to your way forward to solve this, thanks,
Andreas

hwmertens

« Reply #224 on: August 21, 2022, 03:45:31 pm »
I have this issue since I bought GSX Pro on Sat 20th August about 12:00am (Noon) and aft I installed GSX Pro the 1st time.
Latest try of install was at about 5pm. Before that I uninstalled GSX Pro and the universal installer several times, restarted the PC and downloaded the lastest universal installer, installed that and began to install GSX pro thru that.

Lockheed Martin's Prepar3D v4.5 HF3 is installed on the same system for years now. And so is GSX & GSX Level2 Expansion. All was running fine. Until I 1st installed GSX Pro.

Yes, I said in many threads we know it's possible that having the P3D version previously installed might cause issue.

More precisely, is not SUPPOSED to cause issues because, the moment you install GSX Pro, the updater will download all the latest files, which are designed to be cross-compatible with both. The issue is, if your local cloudflare node is stuck with the old P3D-only version of a particular piece of code, the updater won't get the new one, and this surely cause issues.
Sorry, if you update your products via the Live Update you surely know which revision of a file should be downloaded. If the CDN does deliver an older one, why don't you reject that file and reload that from your server(s) where the actual files are?
I always made Live Updates of the installed FSDT products when I got informed. Till today I thought my FSDT products are up-to-date. That doesn't seem so!

Regards
Hans