Author Topic: JUST FYI: dll.xml **SOLVED**  (Read 27555 times)

JamesChams

JUST FYI: dll.xml **SOLVED**
« on: January 22, 2010, 03:53:36 am »
Virtuali,

As always, I backup 3 files before I install any addon sceneries to insure that nothing gets "missing"...
Although PHNL v1.0 installed correct, I noticed this one minor "issue" in the "dll.xml" file:

The "Issue":
    I already had the Addon Manager statements there before from other scenery installs. However, the installer removed them from their original location closer to the top of the file's statements and replace them at the bottom of the file as one continues statement (string); ie. missing all the indents and carriage returns etc.  So, I manually added them.  Not a problem for me, but thought I should mention it in case its not suppose to be doing that.

Now off to try out my FIRST "NEW" FSX ADDON Sudo-MILITARY Airport. ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:11:32 pm by virtuali »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

signmanbob

Re: JUST FYI: dll.xml
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:33:54 am »
Thanks for the "heads-up" James.  I am getting ready to purchase it, but I will make a copy of my .xml file first before installing. ;)

Bob

JamesChams

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 05:27:56 am »
Your very welcome, Mr. Bob "signmanbob!" ;)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

skimmer

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 05:29:38 am »
So is it suppose to be that way or what? I've dwnlded but have'nt installed yet bscause of this question.

JamesChams

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 05:35:05 am »
So is it suppose to be that way or what? I've dwnlded but have'nt installed yet bscause of this question.
Mr. "skimmer,"

To be safe, just backup your "FSX.CFG," "EXE.XML," & "DLL.XML" files found in the " %AppData%\Microsoft\FSX " folder. Then, if anything isn't working or missing you've got your originals. :)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:27:45 pm »
As always, I backup 3 files before I install any addon sceneries to insure that nothing gets "missing"...
Although PHNL v1.0 installed correct, I noticed this one minor "issue" in the "dll.xml" file:

There's no "issue", at all.

I really don't know why you continue to fear our installer might do something "wrong" to your XML files. The current version of the installer use the STANDARD, OFFICIAL Microsoft XML parser to check the syntax, and to remove and add sections.

It doesn't use any code of its own so, you can be 100% sure that, if your file wasn't corrupted before, it will NOT be corrupted after. If it was corrupted before, you'll get an error message about it. Again, the error will be generated by the official MS XML parser. In this case, the file will NOT be touched.

The result of this, is that the Addon Manager section will always end up last AND, there will be not "pretty formatting" like we use to do before because, they don't have any meaning, as per official XML specification. A file doesn't need indents or lined up space to be valid. This is how the official MS handler works.

This way, we shouldn't end up in issues like having problem when trying to modify an XML that OTHER addons have formatted strangely, or by users that hand edited it in strange (although legal) ways.

Does FSX recognize the file ? Of course it does, otherwise it wouldn't load ANY addon module.

as one continues statement (string); ie. missing all the indents and carriage returns etc.  So, I manually added them.  Not a problem for me, but thought I should mention it in case its not suppose to be doing that.

Doesn't happen here, of course. I see correct indentation and spacing just fine, before and after installation.

But it wouldn't make any difference in any case because, as I've said, these do not matter at all in an XML file. Formatting with or without spaces/carriage returns, doesn't make the slightest difference to an XML file, the only issue it might happen, is that OTHER addons installers might get confused by this (which, as I've said, doesn't happen here).

Our installer can't be confused anymore because, by using the official MS XML parser, it should be able to add the Addon Manager section to any XML file, regardless of how funky formatted it is, as long as it's a legal one.

Note that, this is NOT a modification we introduced with PHNL installer: it's has been online in ALL installers since start of this year, and nobody had any problems with it so far. In fact, it's exactly the opposite: I find far less XML problem reports, since we changed all the installers which, as I've said, was done before PHNL release.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:19:27 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 12:28:53 pm »
Thanks for the "heads-up" James.  I am getting ready to purchase it, but I will make a copy of my .xml file first before installing.

Not needed, because our installer ALREADY does a backup copy of both XML files at start, and it always did, since years...

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 01:12:26 pm »
@chams please stop with this attitude as you were important or helpful for other people....that's what you belive. >:( Also in other forum I could observe it. People are happy even without your help or just exactly then  ;D. And I'm sure that most developer would be quiet happy whitout your comment like "it would be nice to implement this features, or to change this, it would make you product more sell-able". Do a step back and don't feel you have to leave always a comment.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:21:10 pm by Avatar »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 03:50:44 pm »
Please, let's not start another one, or the whole topic will go away.

skimmer

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 06:05:13 pm »
Thanks for the info Virtuali. I have never had to backup any files because of Fsdt and dont have any problem now . Im going ahead with install as always.

JamesChams

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 07:39:13 pm »
Virtuali,

I'm glad to hear that the installer is "doing more" for us and that my concern was not an issue after all...

Where might I find these backedup files?  I ask because I created a batch file to do backups of them for me and I'd rather not have multiple duplicate backed-up files scattered on my HDD's (HD space in at a premium on my systems now).  If I can use your installers backedup ones that should be good enough.

Grazie!
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »
Where might I find these backedup files? 

In the same folder as the DLL.XML, named "DLL.XML_Before_Addon_Manager", and the same for the EXE

Manny

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 09:29:27 pm »
I wanted this so badly. I installed it and now my FSX won't start. The COUTL program or something gives me grief all the time.

I went to exe.xml and disabled to TRUE and my FSX starts up.

Any ideas what I need to do?

I am running FSX Accel on Win XP 32bit

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 09:32:06 pm »
Check you don't have FSX running in XP Compatibility mode, which is not correct, and it's not how FSX is installed normally.

Manny

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 09:34:24 pm »
I am running good ole Win XP no compatibility mode

I saw you other thread..so I am going to try uninstalling PHNL and the Add on manager and then reinstall PHNL.