Author Topic: Addon Manager **SOLVED**  (Read 38482 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager **SOLVED**
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2010, 06:21:55 pm »

normandean

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 11:40:14 am »
Hi Virtuali,

The antivirus was completely disabled, I was only saying that I already have MSFS totally exempted. I don't know if it is relevant, but in past attempts to correct this problem, I have always seen that the aerosoft dat file did not uninstal, but thought nothing of it.

Anyway, many thaniks for those links, I will give them a try.

Norman

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 12:10:36 pm »
I don't know if it is relevant, but in past attempts to correct this problem, I have always seen that the aerosoft dat file did not uninstal, but thought nothing of it.

It's normal behavior for any installer that, during the default Uninstall process, only files that were installed by THAT installer, will be removed.

So, for example, if you installed Aerosoft FlorenceX (which installs the Addon Manager and the bglmanx_aerosoft.dat ) before an FSDT scenery, if you Uninstall the FSDT scenery, the bglmanx_aerosoft.dat file will not be removed, because it wasn't put there by the FSDT installer.

HOWEVER

This is the default Uninstall behavior if you don't do anything BUT, if you reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?", ALL files relevant to it will be removed, regardless of what put them there, which is useful to clean up, and it's the reason why there's that question.

normandean

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2010, 04:09:51 pm »
Sorry, Vituali, its still no go. I have downloaded the direct links and I still get the same result. I don't know for sure where the Aerosoft file came from, but I guess that it was their version of London City, which I uninstalled ages ago. Anyway, it isn't removed when you answer yes to the remove question in the uninstaller. The German Wings file is removed.

I think that I have had the same experience that most of the others have had. My first airport was Geneva and I had the problem with that product. Then I followed the advice given on this forum and all was fine for a while. I added further airports and everything was still fine. Then suddenly I began to get the dll warning message again and FSX shut down, but again after uninstalling and then re-installing Geneva the problem went away. Now it is some weeks ago that it has returned again, and I tried to repair by uninstalling JFK and then re-installing it, but to no avail. Since then I have simply answered no to the dll question and the sim runs well.

I accept that the cause is probably some other addon on my system, although the only dll files I have, apart from the default and FSDF files are for PMDG, LDS and FSUIPC. I do have aicarriers in the exe.dll file, but that also has been there for some time. I don't think that it is related to Win7 I beta tested the original betas and also the pre-release and I didn't have a problem then. It could be an update since, I don't know.

I do not want to waste any more of your time, and I thank you for the help you have given. I know from experience with UK2000 how difficult it can be to track down a problem on a users system via the forum.  I will continue to monitor this thread in the hope that something else may show up.

Norman

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2010, 04:14:07 pm »
I don't think that it is related to Win7

I don't think too, I always test each and every version of the Addon Manager before releasing, on two different machines, one with Vista x64, the other with Windows 7 x64, and there are no problems whatsoever with either, all using absolutely standard configs. Meaning, both DEP and UAC are turned on, as in default.

You can easily check if the problem is caused by an interaction with another module, by editing your

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\DLL.XML

file with Notepad, and put a

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

line ( it's normally set to false ), in each module's section, except of course the Addon Manager. This will allow you to momentarily load FSX with nothing except the Addon Manager, as a test.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 04:16:34 pm by virtuali »

normandean

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2010, 05:44:34 pm »
Hi Virtuali,

Well, I think I have finally found a solution, though not the reason for the problem. I have changed the compatibility setting for FSX to Vista sp2 and I have not had the dll failure for 24 hours now. It soesn't work with any other compatibility setting.

It may, therefore, be a Win 7 problem after all, perhaps due to a upgrade, as was mentioned previously.

Norman

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2010, 08:20:14 pm »
Strange because, if I set any of the Windows compatibility settings, I always get a crash on start. But, if it works for you, just leave it there.

normandean

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2010, 11:52:27 pm »
I'll certainly leave it as it is, and thank you very much for your patience and help.

Norman