Author Topic: Addon Manager **SOLVED**  (Read 38492 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
What is this file because I know that bglmanx.dll has to do with addon manager, and fsdt has to do with fscopilot.

All files with names starting with bglmanx are part of the Addon Manager, and it won't work without. It has always been like this before, nothing has changed.

As I've said, there aren't any reason why it wouldn't work with FS Copilot which, BTW, it's the ONLY 3rd party .DLL module we know of that doesn't work with the Addon Manager.

EDIT:

I see why you might be confused: the FS Copilot installs in a folder named FSFDT, which is of course different that bglmanx_FSDT, it's just similar, and might lead into thinking the two have something in common.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 09:49:53 pm by virtuali »

PilotJsmith

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 10:16:32 pm »
Yeah I read your edit and that is true.

But in other news I was able to start FSX with addon manager and fscopilot running together, but I cannot recreate this again, it was some sort of fluke.

All I did was I tried to delete the bglmanx.dll, and coatal lines out of the [trusted] part of the FSX.cfg to see what that would do, and FSX started fine without problem and I could run addon manager and fscopilot together fine.

But I then restarted fsx and my same issue occured, that it wouldn't start, so I tried to delete those lines out of the cfg again and nothing happened this time.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 10:33:24 pm »
But in other news I was able to start FSX with addon manager and fscopilot running together, but I cannot recreate this again, it was some sort of fluke.

That's exactly what I've found to be happening. Installed FS Copilot to have a look at it, it crashed the first time it was trusted. But this is sometimes to be expected, happens to the Addon Manager sometimes.

On the next FSX launch, both FS Copilot and the Addon Manager started fine.

Then, I tried launching FSX for the 3rd time, and now it freezes at the "Create Flight" screen each time. Can't start them together anymore. So, it seems that, if FS Copilot runs once, it does something (or create some file) that will prevent it to run together with the Addon Manager.

However, FS Copilot clearly has some other issues, entirely not dependent from the Addon Manager because, with the Addon Manager DISABLED, I keep getting crashes on exit from FSX, if FS Copilot is installed.

All I did was I tried to delete the bglmanx.dll, and coatal lines out of the [trusted] part of the FSX.cfg to see what that would do, and FSX started fine without problem and I could run addon manager and fscopilot together fine.

This would have the effect of repeating the "Trusting" question.

But I then restarted fsx and my same issue occured, that it wouldn't start, so I tried to delete those lines out of the cfg again and nothing happened this time.

Why you keep acting on the assumption that it's the Addon Manager that needs to be "fixed" in some way ?

For example, in this case, you should also have removed the Trusting lines in FSX.CFG for FS Copilot as well. I assure you that, if you keep insisting trying to "fix" things by mingling with Addon Manager files only, you will not get very far.

PilotJsmith

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 10:51:04 pm »
I just installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64) and the first time I loaded FSX it worked but it freezes everytime after that.

PilotJsmith

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 11:11:40 pm »
I just read this other post on these forums where you told someone not to use the 2008 redistributable, so I installed the 2005 sp1 (x64), on my first start of FSX it crashed but on the second time it was fine, but when I loaded in a flight and hit FSInn Control Pannel in addons, FSX froze.

Now it's back to freezing at the splash screen.

Hopefully this information is helping.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 12:19:46 am »
All these applications (FSX, the Addon Manager and FS Copilot) are 32 bit apps so, if anything, you need to install the 32 bit versions of the VC++ Redistributables. The x64 version is only used by 64 bit applications.

However, at least with regard to the VC++ 2005 SP1, since we use it, we install it...

And, there are some Windows updates that only appear *after* you installed those runtimes so, it might be worthwile to do a Windows update after installing all the runtimes.

However, my machine has all the runtimes installed and patched, and FS Copilot+Addon Manager now freezes each time, after having started successfully only once, the first time FS Copilot ran successfully after the first crash that happens when you trust it.

I had a look at the FS Copilot binary file and, there are a couple of peculiar things about it:

1) The file doesn't have a dependency manifest embedded, which should help Windows sort it out Side-by-Side loading when used together with other .DLL modules in the same process. FSX modules usually have it for this very reason ( FSUIPC.DLL has it, BGLMANX.DLL has it, VIMACOREX.DLL has it, PMDGOPTIONS.DLL has it...)

2) The file is byte-for-byte IDENTICAL in FSX and FS9, which is unusual.

3) It's not digitally signed. This shouldn't be problem, but since the FSX Trusting mechanism is so unstable, you never know.

PilotJsmith

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 12:39:33 am »
I also have another computer in my home that has addon manager, fscopilot, and vista 64 bit that runs everything perfect. And prior to reformatting my computer I ran addon manager and fscopilot fine also.

Could I take some files from the FSCopilot files on the other computer in my house and transfer them to my computer. If so what files should I try.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 12:50:34 am »
You should always use the proper installers that comes with each product. Just copying files manually, if you don't know exactly what you are doing, is usually a recipe for disaster. Of course, since this is not FS Copilot forum, we can't obviously help you with anything related to it.

I've simply used its installer, I don't have the slightest idea how it works and what it does.

PilotJsmith

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 01:05:37 am »
Also when I reformatted this time I downloaded a more updatted driver than what I had on my system before the reformat, could this have messed something up, should I get the older driver I had.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 02:53:18 am »
I downloaded a more updatted driver

What driver ?

PilotJsmith

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 03:04:19 am »
Video Card driver

Im trying to think whats different about my system after the reformat, since I had it working before I reformatted.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 01:07:20 pm »
I don't see how a video card driver could affect FS Copilot or the Addon Manager, other than having the Video card driver installer changed something in the VC++ runtimes. But if this is the case, it should be fixable ( or not ) by updating all the runtimes.

Which, as I've said, it's already done by our installer, for the runtimes we need. Since FS Copilot doesn't come with a manifest, it's difficult to say which runtimes (if any) needs. And not just which, generic, runtimes. The manifest serve the purpose to indicate to Windows exactly which version the program needs becahse, the whole point of the Side-by-side mechanism, is to allow different versions of the SAME .DLL to run together at the same time.

If, by misfortune, FS Copilot required a *DIFFERENT* VC++ 2005 SP1 version than we need (yes, you can have multple versions of the VC++ 2005 SP1 installed at the same time) and, by pure chance, they called a library function that is not backward/forward compatible so, it would not run with our version, they'll crash together. If they included a manifest, Windows would have loaded their preferred version as well, thanks to side-by-side.

But, again, THIS IS NOT FS COPILOT FORUM so, anything I'm saying here, it's pure speculation: I don't know if they require runtimes at all, I'm just saying *what* could wrong, and this is explanation at least is compatible with the fact that it might work on a Windows installation, and might not on a different one, depending on what system libraries are installed.

PilotJsmith

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 05:50:30 pm »
Where is the fscopilot forum, I can't find the official site for fscopilot?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 06:28:17 pm »
I think it has been closed for maintenance:

http://www.mcdu.com/

ingoke

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 08:31:40 pm »
Dear Virtuali,

after installing your new PHNL scenery, all your other sceneries won´t show up anymore. I really don´t want to get on anyones nerves, but only your sceneries are difficult to handle. I love flying, but I hate having to maintain the sim more than absolutely necessary. I just can´t rely on your sceneries showing up after a long flight. Everything is much too complicated.

This evening I installed PHNL which lead to double entries in the FSX.cfg. I deleted the double entries (coutl.exe and bglmanx) in the trusted section and ran the stand alone addon manager installation again. Now none of your sceneries show up.

The visual quality of your sceneries is very good (that´s why I bought every single sceney until now), but the fact that with every new installation process new problems pop up is very annoying. I understand that your sick and tired of answering the same questions over and over again, but I don´t feel like having to go troubleshooting everytime I add a new scenery. Explanations like some other programm has corrupted this and that file really don´t help, because no other scenery is that "vulnerable" or easy to mess up.

I really don´t know what to try next and to be honest, I´m growing a bit tired of solving problems that could be prevented.

What can I do next without having to reinstall everything (something I really don´t have the time for)?

I use Vista 64-bit SP2.

Regards,

Ingo