Author Topic: Addon Manager **SOLVED**  (Read 38383 times)

Kevin

• CRJ2
Addon Manager **SOLVED**
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:39:32 am »
I have had so many problems with your sceneries I don't even use them anymore. I did all the "fixes" which did help but then stopped working and I had the same problem. I can not have those 2 lines for the dll's in my trusted programs for my flight sim to load or I have to reinstall addon manager every time I boot FSX. I just gave up after a long time working on it. What gets me is mine used to work fine. After a recent reformat I have problems with the bglmanx and addon manager. Why can't you just use a normal installer like ever other fs company.

KB
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 03:04:36 pm by virtuali »

PilotJsmith

Re: Addon Manager
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 02:45:22 am »
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM!!

I just reformatted the other day to Vista x64, I own the KORD, KFLL, and cloud9 KMCO sceneries.  They all workeded perfectly before I reformatted, I've looked into all the problems with the dll.xml, fsx.cfg, and all the problems between fscopilot and add on manager. I am quite disapointed now after all my hard work that I can't even be able to use the $90 worth of scenery I have purchased.  I just sometimes wonder why fsdream team and cloud 9 don't just use a regular installer that everyone can use without problem, it can't be for security because people can find a way around anything, so just make it easyer for people that actualy bought your product.

JFKpilot

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 03:00:54 am »
Why can't you just use a normal installer like ever other fs company.

KB

Virtuali will not let statements like this go unanswered, but in the mean time, may I suggest you read the FAQ?
Flight is the only truly new sensation than men have achieved in modern history.  -James Dickey

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:18:03 pm »
Please, for the last time, STOP keep saying "use a normal installer like ever other fs company", as if we haven't explained, many times already, everywhere in the site, and of course the FAQ, that the Addon Manager IS NOT used just for protection!!

Asking something like this, is like problems with FSUIPC and asking an airplane developer stop using it. We just can't, because the scenery needs it for too many other things beside protection. If it's not clear enough: we would use the Addon Manager even if we released a scenery without activation. Or even a freeware scenery.

The first usual suggestion, whenever this problem happens, is to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager first:

http://www.virtualisoftware.com/binaries/setup_addonmanagerX.exe

This will surely update all your files because, if you reinstalled using old and new installers together, perhaps something old got mixed with something new, and this might also create problems.

PilotJsmith

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 02:48:51 pm »
Ok, I intalled the add-on manager as you said, my fsx still freezes at the splash screen like always, I do have fs copilot installed as I know that there is some conflict between the two, when I disable fscopilot in the dll.xml, my fsx will work, but I wont be able to connect to Vatsim, which is where I fly 99.99% of the time.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:02:13 pm by virtuali »

PilotJsmith

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »
I noticed just now that the addon manger was at the bottom of the dll.xml, so I put it at the top of the list so it would be above fscopilot, but it still freezes

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 05:24:51 pm »
Ok, I intalled the add-on manager as you said, my fsx still freezes at the splash screen like always, I do have fs copilot installed as I know that there is some conflict between the two, when I disable fscopilot in the dll.xml, my fsx will work, but I wont be able to connect to Vatsim, which is where I fly 99.99% of the time.

The suggestion about exchanging the order of loading came from something that we noticed a while ago: if FS Copilot loaded before the Addon Manager, it prevented the creation of the Addon Manager menu, and any further communication between Addon Manager and Simconnect, as if FS Copilot blocked Simconnect communication of addons loaded after it.

I also had some email exchanges between the FS Copilot author about this, but he didn't had any clue. However, exchanging the order of the modules and having the Addon Manager loaded first, used to fix the problem.

There was a post about it on the old Cloud9 forum:

http://forum.fscloud9.it/viewtopic.php?t=4269&sid=3fe8c431967d53cd85c68ef4db4fa059

However, this was about 3 years ago, before FSX SP2 was published so, it might not be useful anymore. There might be some additional issues with Vista or Windows 7 as well.

The issue is, last time I've checked it, FS Copilot used to be compiled requiring the FSX SP1 Simconnect, meaning it should work with FSX SP1 or FSX SP2 because, on a correctly installed FSX, both versions will be available.

Instead, the Addon Manager is compiled to require the FSX SP2 Simconnect, and it can't be made in any other way, since it actually *uses* some SP2-only features.

Now, in THEORY, thanks to the Windows Side by Side loading mechanism, it should be possible for two modules to use both versions together at the same time meaning, if 2 modules are loaded in FSX, one ( FS Copilot ) requiring the SP1 Simconnect and another ( the Addon Manager ) requiring the SP2 Simconnect, BOTH .DLL will be loaded in memory at the same time which, as I've said, should work in theory, but it's a very complex mechanism, that might not be very reliable, or might have changed in Windows 7.

This might be a reason why the 2 programs can't work together and, if this is the case, I'm afraid it's FS Copilot that needs to be updated to support the current Simconnect version.

If they wanted to target more users and having the program work on FSX SP1 as well might be desiderable but, the correct way of doing this is NOT just compiling for the old version and hoping that Windows Side-by-Side would work. Instead, they should check the Flight Sim version and DYNAMICALLY load the most updated Simconnect that is being found, which is how FSUIPC does, for example. FSUIPC works with FSX SP1 and SP2, but doesn't create problems to the Addon Manager because, under FSX SP2 ( which is the only version that we run under so, it's the only case when the 2 are used together ), it's able to dynamically load the Simconnect SP2 version so, there's no chance for a conflict or a crash, becasue we use that one as well.

It has been quite some time since the last time I've checked FS Copilot so, I have no idea if they updated to use SP2 Simconnect but, this is really the only possible explanation I have for the two not working together.

At this time, the only solution to use our products and online networks, is to use Squawbox instead.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 05:27:50 pm by virtuali »

PilotJsmith

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 08:39:06 pm »
Well how come everything worked when I had vista, and now I reformatted to the same vista I had, but it doesn't work, what changed?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:50:53 am »
Well how come everything worked when I had vista, and now I reformatted to the same vista I had, but it doesn't work, what changed?

You mean that, on your old installation, the Addon Manager and FS Copilot worked together, now they don't ?

If this is the case, that might just be a confirmation of what I was saying: it's probably something related to Windows .DLL, a Side-by-side, most likely.

Maybe it's something else that you previously installed in Windows, that allowed to the Windows Side-by-Side mechanism to work, and it's now missing.

Now, a very simple question: how come that FS Copilot is the ONLY 3rd-party module we know of, that doesn't work with the Addon Manager ? Which includes also a very similar program, namely Squawbox.

We know for sure that none of the most commonly used ones, like FSUIPC, Pmdgoptions.dll, Aerosoft Vimacore.dll, several Wilco .dll, but many others as well. None of these addons are creating similar issues. Which obviously mean, all these modules, INCLUDING the Addon Manager, are working as expected which, if correctly made, is what it's supposed to happen. It's not that we explicitely did something to allow compatibility with those modules: they just work, and we only verify from time to time they do. The one and only program we ever got problem reports, starting from 3 years ago, it's FS Copilot.

So, I'm sorry, but there's nothing else to say, other than switching to Squawbox, until FS Copilot gets fixed.

Kevin

• CRJ2
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 10:59:03 pm »
I have the same problem as the other guy and I am using Windows 7 64bit. I installed all of my sceneries before I installed fscopilot and it worked fine to me. It just seems wierd to me that were both having the same problem right now after a reformat. When did addon manager last update. Thanks

KB

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 01:46:45 am »
It just seems wierd to me that were both having the same problem right now after a reformat

As I've said already, maybe it's something else that you previously installed in Windows, that allowed to the Windows Side-by-Side mechanism to work, and it's now missing.

When did addon manager last update.

It's always being updated, at least every 15-20 days, that's why its installer always gets it online, to be sure everyone gets the latest version. But, I can't think of anything that would create a new conflict with only one module, that was known to have issues with it for about 3 years, as was said in that post on the old Cloud9 forum I've linked.

Yes, there's IS a small difference in the installer, about the handling of the DLL.XML file: right now, is not sorting the module's list anymore in order to always have the Addon Manager on top of the list, so it wouldn't be blocked by being loaded after FS Copilot, which was the original issue we found. That's why I've suggested trying reordering the modules to have FS Copilot loaded last which, according to one poster, didn't change anything so, I suspect this might be something else, perhaps related to Windows 7.

Kevin

• CRJ2
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 05:19:14 pm »
Ok thanks, I would change to squawkbox so that I could use these sceneries but there's just so many things I don't like about it so I'd rather keep with my fscopilot. I did get some sort of beta one this time and I think it may be a little different from the other one I had. I'll look into it, I just wish there was an easy fix.

Kevin

PilotJsmith

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:58:49 pm »
Is there a way I could get a older version of add on manager, maybe the one that came out after KFLL because I remember that I had both KFLL and FsCopilot working when KFLL came out.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 12:32:14 am »
Is there a way I could get a older version of add on manager, maybe the one that came out after KFLL because I remember that I had both KFLL and FsCopilot working when KFLL came out.

There's no reason why an older version, which is still very recent would work with FS Copilot and the present one not. And, that version wouldn't work anyway with anything we'll release in the future.

I'm sorry, but I can only repeat and confirm: there's no other solution right now, than to use Squawbox.

PilotJsmith

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 09:39:22 pm »
In my root Microsoft Flight Simulator Folder I noticed that there is a file named: bglmanx_fsdt.dat

What is this file because I know that bglmanx.dll has to do with addon manager, and fsdt has to do with fscopilot.

When I open this file I get random symols with notepad.