Author Topic: No jetways - don't want GSX  (Read 4170 times)

vl1

No jetways - don't want GSX
« on: January 24, 2022, 10:50:22 am »
Is there a way to get jetways in DFW without installing GSX?
Maybe there is an ADE file with default jetways that would be working?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No jetways - don't want GSX
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 12:36:00 pm »
There's no way to have jetways without installing GSX, which is not used "just" for jetways, but also to create Docking System and Marshallers. GSX is obviously free to use there, so there's no reason not to install it.

I don't understand the reason of your unfunded "fear" of GSX.

Even if we supplied an alternative AFCAD with standard jetways, you won't achieve anything other than having a serious downgrade of the scenery, from proper SODE jetways to buggy and worse looking standard jetways, no docking systems, no marshallers and, you would STILL have to install ALL our support software (Addon Manager/Couatl) anyway, because it's used to enable the Trial AND verify your license so, considering the support software is mandatory, and the SAME software also runs GSX, it wouldn't make any sense to use it only for DRM, when it can be way more useful to you.

I'll try to explain it in a different way:

Since all our sceneries automatically install the support software anyway, but NOT the GSX objects/textures, we can keep their installation reasonably small. If we wanted to give you the illusion "GSX is not required", we could just add all the required objects from GSX ( jetways and their textures, docking systems, marshallers, etc. ) IN the installer, making it larger for no reason, because ALL our installer would become larger, just to include all the required objects which are now SHARED by GSX. I hope you would understand that, it's really absurd to have many installers 2-3 GB large, full of duplicate files, instead of 200-300MB as they are now JUST so you might think the scenery "doesn't require GSX". That would be highly inefficient, wasting bandwidth, download and install time when now, you only download and install GSX ONCE.

vl1

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 12:57:41 pm »

I don't understand the reason of your unfunded "fear" of GSX.

FPS!
I have 1100 sceneries, 1850 airlines bgl and I want to keep my FPS at 50 with 100% AI
My choice

P.S. Another user provided an ADE file with jetways, works perfectly fine. Is there one for LAX? The one that I got from 2016 and upgraded - is not showing jetways in P3D,  despite they are present in the ADE files
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 12:59:33 pm by vl1 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 01:13:31 pm »
I have 1100 sceneries, 1850 airlines bgl and I want to keep my FPS at 50 with 100% AI
My choice

And what makes you think GSX could possibly slow down you fps ? If you don't CALL any GSX service, it won't affect the fps at all, because GSX is not doing anything other than waiting to be called, which has zero fps impact. The only possible impact is when actual ground service vehicles will appear, and they won't unless you call them.

Jetways would of course affect fps exactly the same, regardless if they were created by GSX or not, since their eventual impact on fps is due to their detail and how well are optimized ( and ours are very well optimized, in multiple LOD levels ), not by the method in which their are created.

In fact, our jetways are likely better for fps than default ones, because with jetways in .BGL files, you have no control over their loading range ( and it's very well known the simulator doesn't always do a good job of reclaiming memory once you go away from an airport), while those created programmatically are completely under our control, so we kow for sure when they are loaded and it's guaranteed they WILL be unloaded and the memory WILL be reclaimed after you go away from the airport area.

So no, your choice is a wrong one, likely based on your lack of information about these issues  so, I'm sure that now that I've explained it, you'll change your mind.

P.S. Another user provided an ADE file with jetways, works perfectly fine. Is there one for LAX? The one that I got from 2016 and upgraded - is not showing jetways in P3D,  despite they are present in the ADE files

I never said it's impossible to do that. It's just we don't support anything that would degrade the quality of the scenery, like reverting back to pre-GSX L2 era jetways.

vl1

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 07:33:57 pm »
can I please ask you to provide an ADE file for LAX with basic jetways?
I will adapt it like the one of LAX I made
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:36:17 pm by vl1 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 09:59:05 pm »
can I please ask you to provide an ADE file for LAX with basic jetways?

I'm sorry, but we don't have any plans to do that. It's our scenery and how it's made it's our design choice, and we believe GSX/SODE jetways are an important part of how a modern scenery should be.

Fortunately, most users appreciated that, even more than 10 years after its original release, we still improved the scenery with a major improvement like GSX jetways and a proper GSX profile.