Author Topic: Couatl not loading randomly  (Read 1895 times)

panzer2181

Couatl not loading randomly
« on: September 25, 2021, 12:14:01 am »
Hi Umberto,

I have been reading extensively in the forum regarding past posts for Couatl not loading, or crashing, etc., but I am not 100% sure if the issue I have seen the last few days is related...

Ever since the update to re-introduce the logos in GSX, Couatl will not load with P3D on a completely random basis.  I have tried to reproduce the error, but its not 100% guaranteed, and I do not get the "Couatl will not load error" message that some users appear to gety.  One thing I notice though, a simple reboot of the PC seems to fix the problem - albeit temporarily...

Also, when Couatl is not loading, none of my FSDT products appear as registered in the Addon Manager, so I assume there is a link with Couatl and the registration of the products (other as well as being essential for GSX to function...).  I did find one old GSX ini file that had the infamous Jetway logo = none.  I rectified that entry, but the remaining INI files seemed fine.  I also read regarding admin rights on P3D launch.  Unfortunately I do need to have P3D to be launched as admin due to some of my 3rd party add-ons.  Maybe if I make sure couatl launches as admin it could fix that?

Any idea what could be causing this (probably, but I am most likely missing a lot of critical details at the moment)? My entire P3D addon folder I use to add 3rd party products is excluded from Kaspersky, so I doubt that has a role to play (though who knows really...).  Could it be a memory error as a reboot seems to fix the problem?

If the problem resurfaces (and I suspect it will), what details would you require for me to provide in order to investigate this?

Thanks again

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl not loading randomly
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 08:20:40 am »
All problems you might have read about custom profiles made for P3D V4 requiring editing are now obsolete, if you have the latest update, which ignores any custom logo made for V4 in V5, fixing all errors. And, in any case, none of them would prevent the program from starting, so you are reporting a completely different issue.

The antivirus is the most likely cause so, you must to be sure the whole Addon Manager folder is added to the antivirus Exclusions.

Also, be sure you don't start a new simulator session too quickly after the last one, not allowing enough time for all processes to close. This could take longer than "just" waiting for the P3D icon to disappear. If Couatl.exe was still closing from the previous session and you start another one, it's 100% sure it won't start.

So, check with the Task Manager to be sure couatl.exe has closed, and then you can start the sim again.

panzer2181

Re: Couatl not loading randomly
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 09:03:36 pm »
Excellent, thanks for the tips.  I think your point regarding closing / opening P3D too quickly might be the culprit for a lot of the times I saw errors with Couatl.  The antivirus is also a suspect,  but I did explicitly made sure that any of my 3rd party add-ons for P3D are excluded from scans, etc.  Then again, anti-virus does what anti-virus wants...