Author Topic: Regen airport cache  (Read 1897 times)

40westway

Regen airport cache
« on: September 24, 2021, 09:08:18 pm »
I have a new issue. Every time I open a airport in FSX I get the message top of screen, Regenerating airport cache, and it goes through the process of doing just that. This is a new issue as it would only happened if you are opening a new airport on FSX for the first time. Now it happens all the time. How can I fix it???
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 09:09:55 pm by 40westway »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Regen airport cache
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 11:22:02 pm »
They had to do this because for some unknown reason, there was a recent issue where not regenerating the airport cache caused problems. Until they figure out why it's an issue, this is the only workaround.
Captain Kevin

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Regen airport cache
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 08:29:44 am »
As already discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25568.msg168109.html#msg168109

it's not an issue, it's made intentionally and it's even indicated on the release notes.

We SUSPECT the issue happened on some users because we added support for extra-long path names ( more than 260 characters ), which is required to support MSFS but, in order to enable support for this feature, a special registry settings must be enabled in Windows 10 which is automatically set by the MSFS installer but, a user that never installed MSFS and never bothered to remove this Dos-era limitation from Windows 10, would miss the setting, and our previous update didn't work, because it was generating an airport cache compliant with the extra-long path names naming conventions.

Regenerating the cache at each startup seems to have fixed this and, it also has the advantage that, if you have a 3rd party scenery with multiple AFCADs that can switch using external utilities ( like different runway wind configs, or SODE/non-SODE configs, static/non-static AI, etc. ), those changes will always automatically picked up by GSX, while before you had to remember to manually regenerate the cache to prevent "AFCAD not found" errors.

If you properly configure your antivirus to add folders that contains sceneries in the sim to the antivirus Exclusions, the cache regeneration shouldn't take more than a few seconds and, it's done in multi-threading so, it won't slow down the simulator startup in any case.