Author Topic: Purchasing through the MSFS marketplace  (Read 3506 times)

ZiadS

Purchasing through the MSFS marketplace
« on: August 01, 2021, 01:53:07 am »
I'd love to purchase either Zurich or Chicago (still deciding) by FSDT through the marketplace as I already own CYVR however, I have heard that the files bought through the marketplace are encrypted by MSFS. This is making me wonder when FSDT releases GSX, will GSX be able to work with airports I own through the marketplace?

This also brings up the question, will GSX be available to purchase through MSFS Marketplace? And if so, will it work with other airports that are bought out of the marketplace as well as from the marketplace.

Thanks

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: Purchasing through the MSFS marketplace
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2021, 04:42:41 am »
I don't know if this post will help.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,25398.msg167047.html#msg167047

Also, here's another thread about an issue regarding encrypted files.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,24043.0.html

I'm guessing GSX might work, but if you needed to make changes to the AFCAD, for instance, to add vehicle parking and paths, you couldn't really do that.
Captain Kevin

ZiadS

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 12:23:03 pm »
I see what you mean. That's why I'm hesitant on buying another product through the MSFS marketplace as I'd really want external mods that need to read the airport files to work...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 03:27:34 pm »
GSX surely won't be able to read .BGL files from the Marketplace, because they are encrypted. However, there might be two possible solutions, and we are preparing to support both:

1) Microsoft/Asobo might add a documented API to access the airport data without requiring to open a .BGL. This would be the better long-term solution, because it will make all these products like GSX or Flight Planners working so much smoother, since they won't have to maintain their own copy of the airport cache and they won't have to scanning the whole Scenery Library at each change. This topic has been suggested on MS/Asobo developers forum, and it's currently one of the most voted suggestions so, we hope it will be added in the future. If this API will ever come, we'll be the first in line to add it to GSX.

2) Assuming MS/Asobo won't add the aforementioned API to access airport data, we already implemented a different way of reading the airport data, which is:

If an airport .BGL is found in the same location of a GSX custom profile ( %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX or %APPDATA%\Virtuali\GSX\MSFS for the MSFS version ), GSX will read the .BGL from *there* instead from the Official or Community folder.

We'll use this method to allow OUR OWN airports sold on the Marketplace to work with GSX so, 3rd party developers can just do the same, and if they let you download an unencrypted version of their airport .BGL, ( same as they already let you download a custom GSX .INI profile ), you can place it there, and it won't affect the operation of the scenery in MSFS in any way, it will only used by GSX.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 03:50:00 pm by virtuali »