Author Topic: Resize GSX Window in P3D **SOLVED**  (Read 6492 times)

c141fe

Resize GSX Window in P3D **SOLVED**
« on: July 24, 2017, 01:19:10 am »
If the GSX window is too large for you when you open it, there are 2 ways to solve it:

1. The first is temporary. Open the GSX window and resize using the arrows on the edge. Now, each time you open it, the window will open to that size and position until you restart P3D at which time it will revert to its original large size.

OR for a more permanent solution

2. The size of the GSX window is controlled by a "SIMCONNECT_WINDOW" entry in the missionpanels.cfg file located in the "\gauges" folder.

a.  Open missionpanels.cfg with notepad and look for the following entry:

[Window12]
size_mm                           = 375,250
position                            = 4                     ; Middle Of Screen
visible                              = 0
ident                                = SIMCONNECT_WINDOW
scaleform_file                   = MenuWindow            ; Use the generic menu window scaleform content
scaleform_instance_name  = SimConnectWindow      ; Provide a unique instance name

b.  after the size_mm line, add the following line where X.XX (horizontal) and Y.YY (vertical) are a percentage of the main P3D window from 0.00 (0%) to 0.99 (99%)

window_size = X.XX, Y.YY   

I have a 32" widescreen and "window_size = 0.40, 0.50" works nicely for me.  You may need to experiment to get the ideal setting for your monitor.

CAUTION: DO NOT SET X AND Y SO LOW THAT SOME ITEMS FAIL TO APPEAR.

c.  With this line inserted, the "size_mm" line is ignored, and since it is a percentage of the main P3D window size, the GSX window will resize as you increase or decrease the size of the main window.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 05:34:43 pm by virtuali »
David Blitch, USAF (Retired); i9-10900KF @ 3.7, 32g RAM, RTX 2080 Super Hybrid, SSD 1TB (2), SSD 480 GB, HDD 2TB, LG 34" Monitor, P3Dv5.3, UTL, ASP3D, ORBX, FSDT, Track IR 5, EFB2, PFPX, PMDG-ALL, MaddogX, QW78x, MJC Q400, MSFS 2020

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Resize GSX Window in P3D
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:12 am »
Thank you for the information but, please, if would be best if you didn't call it the "GSX Window", because it might seem this is some kind of GSX "problem" that we couldn't fix ourselves so you had to find some kind of workaround.

The proper name for that Window is the Simconnect Window (as the name of they keyword that controls it suggests), and it's a window shared by ALL 3rd party applications that use a menu using the standard way to create menus, through Simconnect calls.

An application doesn't have ANY control of its size or its position, and it's controlled entirely by the sim, using the file you just found.

And, it seems that for some reason, after loading some 3rd party airplanes, the window size changes.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 02:41:04 pm »
David,

Thank you very much for this tip. The default size of the SimConnect window was driving me nuts. With Concorde it was always too small and dragging a corner each session was becoming irritating.

I've used your suggested values and the window size is great!  ;D
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 11:08:44 am »
Just a reminder that if the SIMCONNECT window showing the GSX menu is too small the advice given in the post further up solves this. Far better than dragging the window with the mouse which only lasts one session.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.