Author Topic: norton antivirus problem  (Read 3568 times)

thenikos

norton antivirus problem
« on: June 20, 2021, 05:18:40 pm »
hi, i just bought the switzerland msfs mesh. because i am brave and ... i want it all i tried to install the 10m mesh. but something ... amazing happens: during install i get constantly the message that the norton antivirus blocks a temp file trying to modify the ... p3d5 addon xml :)
funny thing, i have closed the live scan and the firewall of norton. i just use it to scan every now and then the computer for anything suspicious.
but something triggers it inside the switzerland mesh for msfs and wakes it up. what is the relation between the mesh for msfs and p3d5 addon xml?
thank you

edit: it also ask to modify the p3d4 add on xml. the question is about the relation with these 2 products, not how to install. i just turned off the data protector and i fixed it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 05:36:09 pm by thenikos »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: norton antivirus problem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 01:07:42 pm »
We never ceased to be amazed how bugged and invasive Norton can be.

First, our installers for MSFS won't change the add-on.xml for P3D. If anything, it would be the FSDT Live Updater, which updates every FSDT product you have installed, regardless if it's for MSFS or P3D.

However, it's not as if the updater is doing something "dangerous", since there's no such thing as the "p3d5 addon xml", the updater is trying to update OUR OWN add-on.xml ( the one we create when you install any product for P3D ). None of our installers or updaters ever change any stock P3D file, ever.

In P3D, each add-on has its own private add-on.xml, which is installed in the Documents\Prepar3d V5 add-on so, it doesn't make any sense an antivirus would complain about modifying a file WE created, in a folder you, as a regular user, should always have full permission to write, because it's not like a special or sensitive windows folder, it's supposed to be something you always can write to.

If I found an antivirus trying to do that on *my* system, I would Uninstall it in seconds, and I would ask for a refund.

I suggest file a false positive reports to Symantec.

thenikos

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 05:37:14 pm »
hi umberto and thanks for your answer.
yes you are right, it was the updater. but it did that only after i installed the mesh. if i run the updater standalone, by the fsdt live update, i never get this proble with norton. i also own almost all your products (big fan-i think i miss only the Hawaiian airports) and i never got a norton problem before. but as i told you, i disable even the data protector so i am fine now :)
thank you !!!

ps. gsx for msfs please !!! i really suffer without it :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:52:56 pm »
yes you are right, it was the updater. but it did that only after i installed the mesh. if i run the updater standalone, by the fsdt live update, i never get this proble with norton.

The updater is exactly the same, I can only guess Norton was confused by the fact it was started by the scenery installer, instead being started by you.