Author Topic: Render to Texture in 5.2  (Read 2848 times)

airbumps

Render to Texture in 5.2
« on: June 15, 2021, 11:34:47 am »
Hi Umberto

I expect the answer is 'no', but did 5.2 change anything for you guys in terms of your ability to allow render to texture features (i.e. textures on jetways) that wasn't possible in 5.1?

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Render to Texture in 5.2
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 08:44:17 am »
Yes, support for non-square textures has been added, but it will be a while before we could convert our DirectX-based method to HTML, assuming everything works according to specs, which we'll have to test it first.

HTML rendering still has some issues, like freezes and performances problems in the ATC and Simconnect menus, which are still being worked on so, it's might be possible we might encounter problems when trying to do that same things we did in DX11 with HTML. Assuming everything will work as expected and there are no performance problems ( which is not a given ), we might *start* working on it, but this won't happen before the release of GSX for MSFS.

However, in a very short while, we'll release an update to support multiple liveries with P3D 5. It won't have the flexibility of Render to Texture so, no dynamic text like jetway numbers or other counters, and it won't support picking a custom texture, but at least it will restore all stock GSX liveries for handling and catering operators, and jetways.

airbumps

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 10:30:11 am »

However, in a very short while, we'll release an update to support multiple liveries with P3D 5. It won't have the flexibility of Render to Texture so, no dynamic text like jetway numbers or other counters, and it won't support picking a custom texture, but at least it will restore all stock GSX liveries for handling and catering operators, and jetways.

Thanks. I presume that this means those default GSX liveries (i.e. the catering trucks) will display the appropriate image/texture - I.e. DNATA or GateGourmet etc?

Cheers,

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 01:12:23 pm »
Thanks. I presume that this means those default GSX liveries (i.e. the catering trucks) will display the appropriate image/texture - I.e. DNATA or GateGourmet etc?

Yes, the stock GSX liveries will all work ( more than 200 ground handlers, 35 catering operators and 47 jetway logos ), the only thing that won't work would be easy customization by picking a texture and create a new operator on the fly, which requires RTT.

airbumps

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 11:07:56 am »
Thats good enough for me! I look forward to that update. Its bland not having any signage on the ground vehicles.

micstatic

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 12:04:12 pm »
Will this update require 5.2 or will this work on 5.1 HF?

micstatic

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 01:14:55 pm »
I would think so to.  But I would prefer Umberto be the one to answer

micstatic

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 01:49:07 pm »
no reason to get offended.  Was not my intent.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 08:41:30 pm »
Will this update require 5.2 or will this work on 5.1 HF?

It will work with every version of P3D V5, because it will use the standard multi-livery method, not the HTML RTT.

If we'll ever release a future update using HTML rendering ( work on it will start only after we release the MSFS version ), that will surely require 5.2 at minimum but, I guess by that time, we'll have several other sim release in the meantime.