Author Topic: Registration Error and Setup Errors  (Read 2801 times)

kmanning

Registration Error and Setup Errors
« on: May 04, 2021, 07:53:39 am »
I've just upgrade to Windows 10 Pro and in the process of re-installed all my programs. I'm trying to install the GSX Ground Services but I cannot get it installed and I don't understand why. The install goes okay but before completing it, I get 2 error messages that's never came up in the past. A Registration error message comes up and this is what it says:

[-XML entries -
exe.xml Success
dll.xml Success

SimObject Path entries -

fsx.cfg (Main): CFG File not found
fsx.cfg (Common): CFG file not found]

Why is it that I'm getting this error when FSX is fully installed and with the Acceleration and service packs. All of the files and folders are installed. I've never had this problem in the past in Windows 7, and everything is supposed to work in Windows 10 by now.

Another error message is the Setup Error, and here's what it says:

[Setup Error

C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\dll.xml Error on line 1, position 46:

Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported.

This error means the file has been saved with an encoding that doesn't match the XML header and it's usually caused by 3rd party installers with bugs.

It should be fixed by opening it with an editor like the free Notepad ++, and save it back into ANSI format.]

What is causing this?

Ken.

kmanning

Re: Registration Error and Setup Errors
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 08:08:15 pm »
Hi

Well, I've just figured out that this could be the reason for my problem. I happen to run the SODE Plantform Manager and I've noticed that the path was pointed towards FSX-SE rather than FSX, and this path it wrong. I've had the Steam edition on my computer at one time but I have removed or uninstalled it. Apparently, this FSX-SE entry is still in the registry and I'm thinking that this is why I having the problem. I've ran the SODE Repair to correct the path but every time I re-open the Registration box, it points to FSX-SE every time, even after I have the path. At the top the tabs that are shown are FSX-SE and P3Dv4. There should be no tab for FSX-SE. The tabs that should appear are FSX and P3Dv4, with their correct paths, not FSX-SE and P3Dv4. Is this the cause? If so, will someone tell me how to remove that entry in the registry. I have some idea but I want to be sure I do it correctly. I hope to hear from someone as soon as possible.

Ken.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 09:35:04 pm »
Please clarify if:

- you had FSX:Steam and FSX, then you removed FSX:Steam and kept FSX

OR

- you had FSX:Steam and and FSX, then you removed FSX and then you removed FSX:Steam too

OR

- you only had FSX:Steam, and you removed it

So, basically, is there any FSX still installed ?

kmanning

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:30:54 pm »
Hi,

Yes, I have FSX installed now. I had FSX:Steam edition installed but I removed it. Then I installed FSX. I think I did it correctly, but I opened the Regedit and sure enough, the FSX-SE entry was still there and I deleted it. I no longer get the Setup error regarding the coding of the xml. But I'm still getting that Registry error message saying:

SimObject Path entries -

Ken.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:39:53 pm »
I opened the Regedit and sure enough, the FSX-SE entry was still there and I deleted it. I no longer get the Setup error regarding the coding of the xml. But I'm still getting that Registry error message:

Ok, you removed the FSX:SE key but, is the FSX key present and pointing to the correct folder ?

Also, there are several places for the FSX:SE key, if you removed only one, it might not be enough, they are:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

kmanning

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 10:52:31 pm »

Yes, the FSX-SE is completely removed from those 2 HKEYS you listed, and yes, the FSX KEY is prsent. But I don't know how to determine if it's pointing to the correct folder. How do I check that?

Ken.

kmanning

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 10:58:22 pm »
Hi

I've found it, and it is pointing to the correct folder.

Ken.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 10:58:45 pm »
But I don't know how to determine if it's pointing to the correct folder. How do I check that?

By checking if the paths listed there are the one your FSX is REALLY installed into.

kmanning

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 11:07:23 pm »
Okay, I found it and it is pointing to the correct folder. Is there something else causing it and should I be getting that message during the install, and would re-instalingl the SODE make any difference?

Ken.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 11:09:59 pm by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 11:39:20 pm »
should I be getting that message during the install, and would re-instalingl the SODE make any difference?

It's not clear what install you are referring to. GSX or SODE ? As you might have noticed, GSX starts the SODE installer so, is that message coming from it ?

kmanning

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 11:47:49 pm »

Well, here's how it occurs:

I double click the setup.exe to start the installation. Everything is going okay until it gets to the point where is says "Installing SODE." A few seconds after that, that's when the message comes up and says

SimObject Path entries -

Ken.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2021, 12:18:57 am »
Everything is going okay until it gets to the point where is says "Installing SODE." A few seconds after that, that's when the message comes up and says

SimObject Path entries -

Ok, that looks like a SODE error message. I suggest posting on the SODE support forum then:

https://sode.12bpilot.ch/?forum=support

kmanning

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2021, 01:58:34 am »

Ok, that looks like a SODE error message. I suggest posting on the SODE support forum then:

https://sode.12bpilot.ch/?forum=support

Okay. Yes, it does look like a SODE issue. Thanks.

Ken.