Author Topic: Can only Select GSX Menu items with mouse. (Solved)  (Read 1605 times)

EdB

Can only Select GSX Menu items with mouse. (Solved)
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:15:51 pm »
Hi,

I have just recently reinstalled GSX and GSXL2 to P3Dv4.5Hotfix3. P3Dv4 was recently installed as well, as was Windows Pro.  Previously this set up worked fine. Seems now I am missing a setting somewhere.

I have a button board mapped in FSUIPC5.157 for GSX. I have a Button mapped to Control F12 and this brings up the main GSX Menu. This works fine. I have Keyboard numbers 0 to 9 mapped to 10 more buttons. These buttons all show up in the FSUIPC Console yet they will not activate the GSX Manu items. I can however click on the Menu items with the mouse and they will work. Using the mouse in my cockpit is a bit bothersome and would much prefer to use my mapped button board. I rebuilt the cache but that didn't help.

What happens: If I press the button mapped to button 1, I see the menu item Number one turn a light shade of grey, but nothing happens. The selection menu stays for some seconds then disappears. If I click on the same selection with the mouse, then the screen immediately disappears and the action happens.

I think the solution is probably a simple one ..something I have missed..but I can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 12:50:26 pm by EdB »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Can only Select GSX Menu items with mouse.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 03:48:00 pm »
As explained so many times in the forum, what you see as "the GSX Menu", is NOT a GSX menu. It's the standard Simconnect menu, which is shared by all applications that use a similar menu. This means:

- GSX doesn't try to do ANY handling of the keyboard while you are in the menu.

- No other application that uses the standard Simconnect menu will do any keyboard handling either.

GSX ( or any other application that use the Simconnect menu ), doesn't know, doesn't try and doesn't care if you use the keyboard or the mouse to select an entry. While the menu is displayed, the handling is done *entirely* by the simulator, which will return to GSX ( or any other application that use the Simconnect menu ) which choice you made, WITHOUT telling the app ( GSX or any other similar app ) if the choice was made with the keyboard or the mouse. If LM would add a new input method in the future, like VR controllers, or voice input or anything else that could be used to select an entry in the menu, GSX ( and any other app ), will NOT KNOW if you used alternative methods, and won't have any control over it.

From your report the mouse selection works while the keyboard doesn't, looks like the problem is the simulator window not being on focus, so it won't process the keyboard, but this won't happen with the mouse, because the moment you click on the menu, you ALSO put the simulator window in focus.

EdB

Re: Can only Select GSX Menu items with mouse.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 01:03:00 am »
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I understand now what's happening. I can't make a selection in the Simconnect menu as the P3D Window is not in Focus. I will try to find out now why the window is losing Focus to the keyboard.

Thanks for your support,

Ed

EdB

Re: Can only Select GSX Menu items with mouse. (Solved)
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2021, 12:49:50 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I understand now what's happening. I can't make a selection in the Simconnect menu as the P3D Window is not in Focus. I will try to find out now why the window is losing Focus to the keyboard.

Thanks for your support,

Ed

Hello,

Just an FYI to close this post. Hot Fix 1 for P3Dv5.2 has fixed the problem with the simconnect windows not seeing keyboard inputs.