Author Topic: [MSFS] Windsocks blowing against the wind!  (Read 5050 times)

dysona

[MSFS] Windsocks blowing against the wind!
« on: February 16, 2021, 08:38:48 am »
I've just realized why my crosswind landing corrections are all wrong.
The LFSB windsocks are blowing against the wind! See attached screenshot for an example.

I am using the version of the plugin currently published on MSFS Marketplace (16. Feb 2021)

Tony

« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:46:24 am by dysona »

dysona

Re: Windsocks blowing against the wind!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 08:39:30 am »
another windsock, same behaviour

Trespassers

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 02:57:10 pm »
another windsock, same behaviour
All the FSDreamteam windsocks at LFSB are affected, even the one on the REGA roof.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 10:34:24 pm »
All the FSDreamteam windsocks at LFSB are affected, even the one on the REGA roof.

You are replying on a post from February, we already fixed this on a recent update ( April .8th).

I am using the version of the plugin currently published on MSFS Marketplace (16. Feb 2021)

The fix is only available if you bought the scenery directly from us, or from Simmarket, since we cannot update sceneries on the MS Marketplace so fast.

The problem is, the "fix" we made is not really a fix, it's more a workaround because for some reason, the default windsock object is the one and only object in the whole MSFS library of stock objects that use different standard for its rotation.

Which means, we wanted to wait at least the next simulator update, which should be out soon, to be sure Asobo wouldn't change it back to how it should because, if they did that, we might end up sending an update with reversed windsock on the MS Marketplace, which might require another update to fix them again, and considering sometimes it takes weeks to get an update approved, it's probably best to wait at least the next simulator update before sending our fixed version to MS for approval.

Trespassers

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 09:26:07 am »
(...) Which means, we wanted to wait at least the next simulator update, which should be out soon, to be sure Asobo wouldn't change it back to how it should because, if they did that, we might end up sending an update with reversed windsock on the MS Marketplace, which might require another update to fix them again, and considering sometimes it takes weeks to get an update approved, it's probably best to wait at least the next simulator update before sending our fixed version to MS for approval.

Thank you Umberto for your clear statement. I'm not sure Asobo will change this anytime soon since there are hundreds of airports using the stock windsock and it is actually correctly oriented, there's no bug in their windsock.

The root cause for the misorientation is, by default when you place it from the integrated editor, it automatically gets a -179.9° orientation that must be manually set back to 0 for the windsock to blow correctly.
In other words, if there's a bug, it is rather in the integrated editor when placing a stock windsock, and a future fix is hence not expected to affect released products.

Anyway, I bitterly regret having purchased addons from the Marketplace, I intially thought it would be a convenient way of installing and keeping products uptodate (as per Steam) - the opposite is actually the case, and this distribution channel is apparently also unpleasant to editors.

Too late for me for LFSB, my fault, but I know for future products to come...

Cheers
Antoine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 11:44:49 am »
The root cause for the misorientation is, by default when you place it from the integrated editor, it automatically gets a -179.9° orientation that must be manually set back to 0 for the windsock to blow correctly. In other words, if there's a bug, it is rather in the integrated editor when placing a stock windsock, and a future fix is hence not expected to affect released products.

And, you think we don't know that ? As I've said, we already fixed all Windsock in our sceneries, just not on the MS Marketplace yet.

And no, it's not a bug in the editor, because each and every object in the editor is placed at -180 degrees by default, and this is correct because, moving from FSX/P3D to MSFS, the graphic engine has changed the orientation of the Y (north-south) axis which means:

- an object modeled in 3DS max like FSX, with its "north" side up when seen from the Top view, will show as such in FSX, but will point south in MSFS UNLESS is inserted rotated by 180 degrees.

- conversely, if you want to have an object that points north when inserted as 0 in MSFS, you must model it in 3DS Max to point south.

In order not to confuse modelers and ease the conversion of existing 3d content in MSFS, the integrated editor defaults to insert everything rotated 180 degrees, so objects exported from 3DS Max pointing "north", will still point "north" in the editor.

This is valid for ALL thousand+ default library objects and for all custom 3d object imported from any modeling program, except the Windsock, that for some reason has been modeled already rotated.

Maybe it was made to ease coding, since it's a dynamic object that depends on the wind direction, so perhaps it was more straightforward to make it that way. In fact, we are using the same method for the new vehicles we are modeling for GSX, because it we model them rotated "south" ( opposite of FSX/P3D ), we won't have to change any custom code that moves/rotates them, since that way 0 degrees still means "north".

Anyway, I bitterly regret having purchased addons from the Marketplace, I initially thought it would be a convenient way of installing and keeping products uptodate (as per Steam) - the opposite is actually the case, and this distribution channel is apparently also unpleasant to editors.

Yes, the Marketplace has several limitations, like missing support for stand-alone executables, no way to decide to leave some files unencrypted for better interoperability between different add-ons, and the approval sometimes is slow. We expect this to be improved a lot in the future, but I wouldn't expect it would ever reach the same flexibility/speed as buying direct from the developer.

Trespassers

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 01:39:29 pm »
(...) As I've said, we already fixed all Windsock in our sceneries, just not on the MS Marketplace yet.(...)
thus it is not corrected for your Marketplace customers.

And if I read you correctly you're not going to fix your Marketplace scenery since it might happen that Asobo in the future changes the handling of the stock windsock and the Marketplace would be slow to update.

In the meantime, we're in May and the January updates are still not available to your Marketplace customers.
If you don't want to provide support via the Marketplace, can you please propose a different way? It could be a replacement set of files.

You detailed very well the windsock topic for MSFS. For whatever reason it has been modelled like this and the only fix I would expect from Asobo regarding it would be the scenery editor to automatically set rotation 0° when one places their stock windsock. It is located in a separate, dedicated section, such a fix would not be a big issue.

I don't think we can expect Asobo to re-model their stock windsock with a north up orientation, which would immediately affect all existing sceneries using it, be it stock or third party.

Thanks
Antoine

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 01:11:12 pm »
thus it is not corrected for your Marketplace customers.

And if I read you correctly you're not going to fix your Marketplace scenery since it might happen that Asobo in the future changes the handling of the stock windsock and the Marketplace would be slow to update.

That's not what I said. I said we wanted to wait at least the next sim update, in case something changed again. But that's history now. We ALREADY sent the current version for approval. of course, we don't have any idea when it would be released so, it might well be after the next Sim update anyway.

Trespassers

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 08:20:53 am »
(...)We ALREADY sent the current version for approval. of course, we don't have any idea when it would be released so, it might well be after the next Sim update anyway.

Great news, thank you. Yes it can take weeks before they eventually make it available on the Marketplace, but it's moving on. Let's be patient...

Cheers
Antoine