Author Topic: MSFS Addons Linker  (Read 4141 times)

Gerardgeek

MSFS Addons Linker
« on: February 11, 2021, 05:20:13 pm »
I have been using MSFS Addons Linker in order to manager all my addons and be able to switch them on and off as required for loading of MSFS at the same time as keeping my Community Folder light or even empty if required. Is there a way of using MSFS Addons Linker with FSDreamteam airport software for MSFS which would allow me to the same as I can do with all the other addons both free and purchased? At updates for FSDreamteam products the update should also go to were the software has been installed where ever I chose to place it. Indeed I do this with all other software and the updates find the actual software and update it.

I know that you have a link (which automatically is set up by your installer) from the Community Folder in MSFS for your software which in my case was installed in the same place (on a different drive) as all the other FSDreamteam software I have which was installed for FSX. However I can't swirch this on and off as I can with all other software for which I use MSFS Addons Linker. In other words it would be helpful if I could just deal with FSDreamteam addons the same as I can for all other MSFS addons.

Many thanks

Ken

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: MSFS Addons Linker
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 06:10:36 pm »
However I can't swirch this on and off as I can with all other software for which I use MSFS Addons Linker. In other words it would be helpful if I could just deal with FSDreamteam addons the same as I can for all other MSFS addons.

The ability to turn on and off an add-on is something provided by the Addon Linker so, it should be that add-on that should recognize if a package in the Community folder is a real folder or a link, and handle the link in the proper way, meaning using the RMDIR command to remove it, but store somewhere in his data the location of the target folder, so it could be recreated on demand.

And no, the problem is not related just to our Add-ons, even OrbX installs link to the Community folder so, the MSFS Addon Linker will need to be upgrade to support those as well, not just FSDT.

Thomasba

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 10:49:41 am »
Hi Ken the option is already there in Addon Linker. If you go to tools/options on the general tab you can specify which folders you wnat Addon Linker to search for files, there can be multiple folders for this. you just need to add the FSTD folder "\Addon Manager\MSFS" into here and all the FSTD scenery will be included.
Regards
Brian

bcm652

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 07:50:45 pm »
MSFS Addon Linker sounds like a great idea. Will it also work with MFSX or is it a MSFS exclusive.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 01:16:19 pm »
MSFS Addon Linker sounds like a great idea. Will it also work with MFSX or is it a MSFS exclusive.

In P3D4+, there's no need for something like that, because you can just disable/enable add-ons from the Options->Add-one menu, at least the proper ones that use the add-on.xml method.

In FSX, a tool like that would be *way* more complex, because there was no suggested standard to clearly indicate all files in a product like the add-on.xml in P3D4/5 or the "package" method in MSFS, it's a big mess of a wild-west there, files can be spread everywhere, even inside the simulator own folder so, a tool to manage them all, regardless of the add-on and the developer would be extremely complex and unreliable, which explains why nobody ever tried to write it.

Gerardgeek

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 12:08:13 pm »
Hi Thomasba

Thanks for this.

I think I have done as you suggested however as you can see from the pics (Pic 3) when I tick the box for Vancouver in Addons Linker it does not create a link in the Community Folder - am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Ken

PS Just rebooted my PC and retried - it works now 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 02:52:51 pm by Gerardgeek »

Thomasba

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 11:31:16 am »
Hi Thomasba

Thanks for this.

I think I have done as you suggested however as you can see from the pics (Pic 3) when I tick the box for Vancouver in Addons Linker it does not create a link in the Community Folder - am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Ken

PS Just rebooted my PC and retried - it works now 

Great glad it helped Ken

Regards
Brian
Regards
Brian

fly60

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 03:10:48 am »
Hi Thomasba

Thank you for your advice, I had the same problem as I have two different scenery versions of CYVR and am glad to be able to switch between them as I please. (Lucky CYVR has a choice of scenery from different developers)
MSFS Addon Linker is a life saver.