Author Topic: GSX in MSFS Animation test  (Read 14649 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
GSX in MSFS Animation test
« on: February 06, 2021, 11:40:27 am »
Yesterday we made good progress with GSX working in MSFS 2020. We tested our brand new custom animation module made in C++/WASM, which allows to control and animate all kind of objects, so the existing GSX code will work almost unmodified with all its features. Here's a sneak peak of the pushback animation:

After this successful test, we can now work full steam ahead on GSX! Most of the hard work was already made when we converted many objects to PBR, but we'll likely increase the quality again for many of them.

SwissAviator91

Re: GSX in MSFS Animation test
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 03:30:50 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm new here in the forum and I wanted to ask whether it is also possible to install the Follow Me Car on the GSX for the Msfs 2020? ;)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 03:33:07 pm »
Hello everyone, I'm new here in the forum and I wanted to ask whether it is also possible to install the Follow Me Car on the GSX for the Msfs 2020? ;)

The MSFS version of GSX will have its full range of services, including new and much better looking Follow Me cars.

SwissAviator91

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 03:48:51 pm »
Woow cool you do a great job, I couldn't work without your GSX in FSX.  It's just a must have  :D :D :D

EasternT32

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 04:08:46 pm »
After this successful test, we can now work full steam ahead on GSX! Most of the hard work was already made when we converted many objects to PBR, but we'll likely increase the quality again for many of them.

Looking good! Day one purchase, is there still the SDK issue where you can't create a menu inside of MSFS? If so have you had an indication by asobo how long that may take to be able to do?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 08:01:13 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2021, 08:01:21 pm »
Looking good! Day one purchase, is there still the SDK issue where you can't create a menu inside of MSFS? If so have you had an indication by asobo how long that may take to be able to do?

Yes, but this is not really stopping us, because right now we are using a custom menu made with the normal GSX UI.

It's not a long-term solution, because it's not a "native" menu, it's just an external window that appears on top when in use, so it doesn't work in VR, but at least allows to use the program, until the proper SDK function will work as it should.

EasternT32

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 08:59:22 pm »
Thanks Umberto, sounds good

BritishAvgeekYT

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 09:38:50 pm »
Absolutely cannot wait for this, it's going to be AWESOME in MSFS! Loved the teaser today!

Kai-Uwe

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 11:58:06 am »
"It's not a long-term solution, because it's not a "native" menu, it's just an external window that appears on top when in use, so it doesn't work in VR, but at least allows to use the program, until the proper SDK function will work as it should."

Maybe this should work meantime? I use a mod, called "Metar" in MSFS which has its own menu-button.

Kai

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2021, 12:25:53 pm »
Maybe this should work meantime? I use a mod, called "Metar" in MSFS which has its own menu-button.

I was referring to the Simconnect menu, the one that appears after you select some operation, the icons on the top menu would be a replacement for the top "Addons" menu anyway, which calls features less used in flight, like the airplane and the scenery configuration editor, which will then have their own UI, so those won't work in VR anyway, but I doubt you would want to do editing of a parking spot with all those text entry fields with your glasses on and no easy access to the keyboard.

About the top menu, the problem with that approach right now is that it works because an add-on redefines a default file from the html-ui to add its button, but the problem is that no more than a single add-on can do that because, the moment another add-on will do the same, only one of them would show, since they both redefined the same default ui file.

Also, the most important menu in GSX is the Simconnect menu, and that requires to be dynamic, with entries that change depending on what is being used or the airport ( the ever changing parking list, for example, which also list if a parking is taken by an AI or not. ). Our current solution works, just not in VR, but we are fairly sure the "proper" solution should eventually come, since Asobo confirmed it with us, they simply haven't got us any release date.

It's also possible they might expose the whole Developer mode UI, which is based on a fairly standard open source UI called imGUI, so all 3rd party add-on might eventually be able to offer an unified UI in-game that would integrate better with the sim, but that might be something more down the road, we expect to first get replacements for the existing Simconnect text functions, which were used to create menus and the top text bar info first, and eventually a complete UI later on.

But in the meantime, we can work and test GSX with our temporary UI and, in case we'll complete GSX before Asobo adds menu support via Simconnect, we can always release it with it, and update it later on to add VR compatibility.

Switching from our custom menu system back to the default Simconnect used in FSX/P3D it's just a few lines of code change for us, since the whole GSX code is entirely abstracted and wrapped to Python language so, the scripts that make all the bulk of what GSX does don't even know how the menu is being used.

Kai-Uwe

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2021, 01:19:38 pm »
Thanks a lot for your explanations!

f_tony

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2021, 09:57:44 am »
Thanks for this preview! I really hope you will able to release your wonderful product within the next few weeks...MSFS really misses somthing great like that!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2021, 02:07:51 pm »
Thanks for this preview! I really hope you will able to release your wonderful product within the next few weeks...MSFS really misses somthing great like that!

In "few weeks" ? That's impossible, sorry.

f_tony

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2021, 03:34:22 pm »

In "few weeks" ? That's impossible, sorry.

Oh, I see...I'm sure it will be a great product and will wait impatiently for its release  ;)