Author Topic: Dynamic Lighting Color Tone  (Read 2325 times)

jatoops

Dynamic Lighting Color Tone
« on: January 19, 2021, 07:33:23 pm »
I’d like to begin by saying that I’ve been flying out of ORD for over 20 years, and the product in P3D is stunning. I’ve had great performance considering the size of the airfield. Well done, especially with pushing the RWY 09C/27C update so quickly.

These threads critiquing development are often tacky and in bad taste, but there is one thing I’ve noticed that seems like a small detail and may or may not be simple to update at some point. The terminal lights at ORD are modeled as the old lighting (yellow) versus the new LED’s that were updated several years ago, and these terminal lights are so bright that they can be seen for miles approaching the airport from the air or on the ground. Is there a way to change this to reflect the accurate terminal dynamic lighting colors? I’ve attached a recent photo of the brightness/cool white tone of the terminal lights.

I’m sorry, these things are usually more helpful during development than they are after the fact, but it would help to up the ante on the immersion factor of an already great product.

https://flic.kr/p/2ktFxQ5
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 01:14:32 am by jatoops »
Jared Toops

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Dynamic Lighting Color Tone
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 11:27:56 am »
The DL colors are completely different in the MSFS version, and they are how they are supposed to be.

The P3D version has a much lower number of DL, because must it take into account the fact that, while MSFS graphic engine use deferred rendering, so the performance impact is only related to the number of lights, the P3D engine use forward rendering, so the impact on performance is increased by the polygonal complexity of the objects in the scenery ( scenery, airplane, everything.. ), so we cannot use as many lights as we could (considering the airport size), which means we have fewer generic lights and carefully optimized local lights, and this has an effect on their variety, so we had to use some kind of generic middle ground color that would somewhat match the surrounding scenery as well, while in the MSFS version we could increase the number of light sources so much without affecting fps, that we could differentiate better their colors, and especially the nice contrast when lights of different temperature meet.