Author Topic: Carrier Wake Breakup fix  (Read 20034 times)

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Carrier Wake Breakup fix
« on: December 17, 2009, 11:24:34 pm »
If, like me, you've been fed up with the default Carrier wake that keeps breaking up into segments. You might like to try the fix I've attached here.

I have not exhaustively tested this fix but, for me at least, the wake now no longer breaks up into segments. It should work with both the original default carrier and the modified default one (the one that's got the added steam effects).
UPDATE - Javier's carriers fixed too...see next post.

The wake breakup problem also exists with other warships in the AccPack. So...if this fix works for enough people then I will try and do fixes for these other vessels as well.

If you do decide to try it out, I would be very grateful if you could let me know if it does or does not work for you. Full installation instructions are included in the zip.

Cheers all,
Voodoo
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 12:37:08 am by Voodoo »
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
Re: Carrier Wake Breakup fix
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 12:32:06 am »
Please find attached, the wake fixes for the Nimitz and the Patuxent.

PLEASE NOTE, if you apply the fix in the first post, you'll have to apply these ones too - or you will lose your Nimitz and Patuxent wakes!

The installation follows on from the instructions in the above post; simply go to the SimObjects/Boats/USNS_PATUXENT folder and replace the sim.cfg file with the corresponding new file provided. Then do the same in the USS_NIMITZ folder with the appropriate sim.cfg file for there.

Again, any problems, please let me know.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:19:10 pm by Voodoo »

Intrepid

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 01:59:38 am »
Thanks VooDoo
Like I have said before ,,You keep earning your  ;) spot at the top of my Sim Hero's list ;D
I will give it a try and report back to you on the outcome
Merry Christmas my friend,,,, and to all the rest out there Happy holidays as well
Randy 

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 02:20:48 am »
Thanks, Randy. There's such a lot of good work being done on the board these days, especially with the carriers and carrier ops...it's been said before but I think it needs said again that a big pat on the back is well deserved to everyone out there who's been putting so much back into the AccPack!
Virtual beers and a happy festive season all round!

JamesChams

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 02:30:57 am »
Great Job, Mr. "Voodoo"! 8)

Could you, please, do this for Mr. Sylvain Parouty's PA Clemenceau (R 98) v2 French Aircraft Carrier and Flying Stations'
HMS Victorious R38 - Early WWII & HMS Ark Royal IV Carriers?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you! ;)

EDIT: I left the original boat "sim.cfg" files alone and didn't substitute your's for them.  I did, however, backup the original "fx_wake_carrier.fx" and renamed your "voo_wake_carrier.fx" to the same name; I assume that it would have the same effect, correct?  I'm now off to test it. :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 02:51:42 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 02:49:47 am »
Thanks James.
I don't have those other boats, but presume I can download them from the usual places. If they are suffering from the same problem, I'm happy to see if the fix will work on them and get back to you with it.
All the best,
Voodoo

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 07:38:59 pm »
I left the original boat "sim.cfg" files alone and didn't substitute your's for them.  I did, however, backup the original "fx_wake_carrier.fx" and renamed your "voo_wake_carrier.fx" to the same name; I assume that it would have the same effect, correct?

Hi James,

No, I am afraid that won't work. You will still get wake break up.

The way the solution works is, the carrier MDL file has the effect called "fx_wake_carrier.fx" hard coded into it (that's the cause of the problem). You have to get that effect nullified by renaming the "fx_wake_carrier.fx" file in your Effects folder to something else.

The "voo_wake_carrier.fx" file (which is no more than a renamed copy of the fx_wake_carrier.fx file) is then called from within the sim.cfg file to replace the (now) missing original effect.

There are other ways of achieving the desired result (for example, rename the original effects file and then call the renamed file from within the sim.cfg file) but I just went for the first solution that I could think of, and which would let us easily substitute with other wake files in the future. Either of those two described methods will work though.

Hope this helps.

Best regards mate,
Voodoo
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:44:09 am by Voodoo »

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:11:36 am »
Could you, please, do this for Mr. Sylvain Parouty's PA Clemenceau (R 98) v2 French Aircraft Carrier and Flying Stations'
HMS Victorious R38 - Early WWII & HMS Ark Royal IV Carriers

Hi Again, James.

I've looked at those carriers (they're both very good, by the way, but blimey their decks are small when you're trying to put something as big as a Tomcat on them...LOL).

The Clemenceau is ok. She has no hard-coded attachpoints for her wake; it's controlled entirely from the sim.cfg, which is already the way I've been getting round the problem with the default boats. And, therefore, she doesn't require any fixing.

The HMS Victorious is much more complex. She has a sim.cfg entry for a turbulence wake (which seems to work well) but she's got a second wake (the standard "fx_wake_carrier.fx") on an attachpoint in the MDL. That one causes a bit of the old segmentation problem. On top of that she's got a bow spray effect hard coded too.

I think the only way to fix the Victorious is to create a new effect by merging her two existing wakes into one effect file, and then have it called from the sim.cfg file. If I can find the time to do it I could give that a try. However, we might be better looking for other "off-the-shelf" wakes that would do a better job and take less time to set up. Randy has been looking at pre-made wakes in the past and is going to have another look when he has some time available to him.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:12:24 pm by Voodoo »

Intrepid

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 02:43:00 am »
Thanks Voodoo
I will give it a try and report back to you on the outcome
Randy 
Voodoo I tried Your fix ,I am operating windows 7 on an I-7 computer
the complete wake is not breaking up any more
It seems to me (correct me if I am wrong) that the new effect is made up of 2 parts, one underlying the other, When I turn away, taking the Carrier out of direct view the one part of the effect disappears leaving only the other.If I call the one part that disappears, the top of the rolling waves, and the other part the stirring up of the ocean,,it stays
I tried to re-install Flight Deck 4 and 5 to get a look at those 2 types of Wakes so I could compare but got no where (neither would install, must be a W-7 issue ???) not that either was worth installing originally by the way  :P
I was mistaken about the down loadable wakes , the ones that I had found a while back but not installed were for the smaller craft, that site was Avsim ,before the melt down
Either way I am not  getting the segmented problem that I was
Thanks,  I consider your fix a success  ;D
Randy

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 01:03:37 pm »
Hi Randy,

Take a look at attached pictures 1 and 2. Does that describe what you are seeing?

If so, it can be caused simply if you have not annulled the original wake by renaming the effects file (fx_wake_carrier.fx) to something else. Therefore both effects are active. (By the way, I would think then you would still get the segmentation problem at times...unless Windows 7 and or your graphics card have helped to eliminate it. Could that be?)

Backround Info: The original wake is attached to a point near the stern of the ship, but the sim.cfg wake is attached at the 0,0,0 coordinates of the ship (somewhere in the middle of the model). So each wake seems to dissappear at different times as the model goes out of view. All (I believe) FSX effects dissappear when the Emitter goes off screen out of view. The Emitter is usually at the location of the attachpoint for the effect, unless it has been "Offset" in the .fx file.

Does this help, chief?

P.S. Picture number 3 is an example of the wake segmentation problem we're trying to solve with this wake fix. I just stuck that in because it was a rather good example of it.
And, picture number 4 (which also shows the segmentation problem) demonstrates the use of two wake effects in some of the models (a Kelvin wake from the bow, and a turbulence wake from the stern). Not all models have two wakes but the FSX warships do.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:18:48 pm by Voodoo »

Intrepid

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 08:02:45 pm »
Hey   VooDoo
You were right about the / my forgetfull removal of the original (fx_wake_carrier.fx)file,,you know me too well ::) ::)
The remaining wake does not break up for me any more , even when the emitter leaves the screen  ??? not that I am complaining.. lol ,, could very well have something to do with the new graphics card and operating system  May be the extended screen with the Matrox  helps,,Dont know But I am Happy  ;D
Thanks for the help though My Friend, you have done well
Randy

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 08:07:48 pm »
Excellent!

cart401

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 03:23:37 am »
Thank you for your fine work.  The Fix works great with no break-up.  Thanks again and keep up the good work and have a Great Holiday.  Capt. Cart

If, like me, you've been fed up with the default Carrier wake that keeps breaking up into segments. You might like to try the fix I've attached here.

I have not exhaustively tested this fix but, for me at least, the wake now no longer breaks up into segments. It should work with both the original default carrier and the modified default one (the one that's got the added steam effects).
UPDATE - Javier's carriers fixed too...see next post.

The wake breakup problem also exists with other warships in the AccPack. So...if this fix works for enough people then I will try and do fixes for these other vessels as well.

If you do decide to try it out, I would be very grateful if you could let me know if it does or does not work for you. Full installation instructions are included in the zip.

Cheers all,
Voodoo

JamesChams

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 04:28:00 pm »
HMS Victorious R38 - Early WWII & HMS Ark Royal IV Carriers
The Clemenceau is ok. She has no hard-coded attachpoints for her wake; it's controlled entirely from the sim.cfg, which is already the way I've been getting round the problem with the default boats. And, therefore, she doesn't require any fixing.

The HMS Victorious is much more complex. She has a sim.cfg entry for a turbulence wake (which seems to work well) but she's got a second wake (the standard "fx_wake_carrier.fx") on an attachpoint in the MDL. That one causes a bit of the old segmentation problem. On top of that she's got a bow spray effect hard coded too.

I think the only way to fix the Victorious is to create a new effect by merging her two existing wakes into one effect file, and then have it called from the sim.cfg file. If I can find the time to do it I could give that a try. However, we might be better looking for other "off-the-shelf" wakes that would do a better job and take less time to set up. Randy has been looking at pre-made wakes in the past and is going to have another look when he has some time available to him.
Mr. "Voodoo,"

Thank you for looking into these and seeing what can be done... much appreciated! :)

Also, I've run several test on this wake effect and am significantly impressed with the results.  I did experience a slight break in the effect and have managed to improve the overall look of it; by backing-up original "fx_wake_carrier.fx" file, making a copy of your wake file, and renaming it to the same name as the original. Plus, I added your "sim.cfg" turblance wake entries to each of the carrier's "sim.cfg" files and the results were simple amazing! 8)  I'll post some screenshots after the holidays when I have some more time to test it all again, along with your Exhaust shimmer effect.  Thanks a million, these improvements were much needed IMHO. 8)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 04:32:15 pm by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 05:31:52 pm »
Thanks James. You be sure and have a very good Christmas yourself.
Best regards,
Voodoo

*But please note, everyone....the wake segmentation fix cannot work as long as you have a file called "fx_wake_carrier.fx" in your Effects folder. The simple existence of a file with that name (irrespective of whether it's another fx file that's been renamed to that) will continue to cause the wake segmentation problem on the default carrier.

For an explanation of this, see post #7 in this thread.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:44:58 pm by Voodoo »