Author Topic: Abacus Flight Deck 6 released - be wary  (Read 21598 times)

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Abacus Flight Deck 6 released - be wary
« on: December 17, 2009, 02:30:27 am »
I have not been a fan of the Abacus Flight Deck Series. I would personally seek other opinions about this effort because earlier editions were unusable or did not even run. The smart people on this forum have improved FSX Hornet and Carrier landings with the NEW HUD out of sight IMHO.  ;D

"Flight Deck 6 For FSX & FS2004 Released

http://www.avsim.com/cgi-bin/news/viewnews.cgi?newsall
&
http://abacuspub.com/fd6

(laughable)  :-*

Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 - 3:36
Abacus is ending 2009 with the release of Flight Deck 6. For more than 12 years, their Flight Deck  series has brought the challenge of aircraft carrier based aviation to flight simulation fans.

Their newest add-on takes the would-be aviator through the paces by first training in the turboprop  T-34 Mentor, next in the jet-powered T-45 Goshawk at land-base Naval Air Stations before graduating  to the muscular F/A-18C Hornet and F/A-18E Super Hornet off the deck of the USS Harry S Truman.

An exclusive new feature are missions for FS2004 complete with audio feedback. Missions for FS2004  and FSX are at Naval Air Stations and from the aircraft carrier deck using the catapult for takeoffs  and cable traps for landing. Flight Deck 6 has these exciting aircraft and features: T-34 Turbo  Mentor, T-45 Goshawk(TM), F/A-18C Hornet(TM), F/A-18E Super Hornet(TM), EA-6B Prowler, C-2A  Greyhound, E-2C Hawkeye, SH-60B Seahawk , the USS Harry S Truman and NAS Custom Scenery.

Would you like to see Flight Deck 6 in action? To watch their Airbus A380 operate from the deck of  the Harry S Truman. Complete details are available at the Abacus website."
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

ESzczesniak

Re: Abacus Flight Deck 6 released - be wary
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 02:54:59 am »
I agree whole heartedly.  Steer clear.  The carriers in FS9 were always so-so.  Nothing great graphically, but on par with many of the freeware offerings, maybe slightly better.  FS9 never had built in carrier ops and every different group of carriers had their own way of making things work.  Ultimately, they did theirs with uber powerful spoilers that was less than ideal.  But hey, everyone was doing something to tweak it.

Come FSX, there was finally a native catapult and arrested landing model and my understanding is they have not adapted this at all.  Instead, they continue with their "tweaked" models.  And of course, visually they are so far below Javier's models, why bother?

The aircraft are utterly useless.  First, my understanding is that their models originally were pirated from others freeware work without giving due credit.  Even beyond that "rumor" though, the visual models don't even match freeware models now.  The flight dynamics seem whimsical, with some aircraft landing 30-40 kts faster or slower than it's real life counterpart.  They have almost unuseable low resolution VC's and the 2D cockpit is basic at best using mostly default Lear 45 guagues put in to a shell that locks pseudo-fighter style.

Now as you can guess I have not bought the Flight Deck 6 variant.  I can't truly judge this, but every other title in the series has made so little advancement as to seemingly be able to predict what Flight Deck 6 had to offer.

EDIT: That youtube video is hilarious.  Why you'd even want to land an A380 on a carrier, I don't know.  If you look close (ok, not really even that close) he actually had a ramp strike that he "bounced" out of.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 01:31:35 pm by ESzczesniak »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 03:43:56 am »
ES...., You have said it all.  ;D  I tried to forget - and it seems I have....  :o  FSX modded is the way to go.
https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Razgriz

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 03:56:51 am »
My thoughts exactly.  This whole thing is less than freeware quality, its just sad.  The only advancement they do is the LSO, which in itself sucks.

SUBS17

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:41:27 am »
For me the biggest disappointment so far with any sort of addon is the lack of complexity and same could be said for one of the earlier versions of FD that I bought. As it is FSX accelerations Hornet is a vast improvement over those old FS addons it certainly has completely changed the way carrierops is done for FS hopefully FD6 uses the acceleration carrierops stuff as I think its quite good. I think in terms of complexity VRS Superhornet is the king at the moment I'm looking forward to the FSX Pro version when its released all we really need is good FPS, good immersion and MP with solid combat for those birds.

rhino

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 05:22:42 pm »
sad that for those of us that like to fly the E-2C or C-2 have to go to flight deck just to find those aircraft. i cant tell you how many hours ive worked the E-2C and C-2 just to get them to fly half way right and look more like real navy aircraft. it is good to see that they used a real navy paint for the C-2 this time though. hummm .... i wonder if thats the improvement they have made for Flight Deck 6. wouldnt surprise me.

Razgriz

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 06:44:32 pm »
sad that for those of us that like to fly the E-2C or C-2 have to go to flight deck just to find those aircraft. i cant tell you how many hours ive worked the E-2C and C-2 just to get them to fly half way right and look more like real navy aircraft. it is good to see that they used a real navy paint for the C-2 this time though. hummm .... i wonder if thats the improvement they have made for Flight Deck 6. wouldnt surprise me.

You may enjoy this video in 1080p:

donsor

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:01 pm »
I think that Abacus should take their product (Flight Deck 6) off the retail shelves until they can straighten out the problems with the game. I also think MS (FSX) should remove Abacus products as add-on since it affects the performance of the game (FSX). My issue with Abacus stemmed way back with it Extreme Landscape, Flight Deck 5 and now Flight Deck 6. I don't know if I'm the only one having problems but with the exception of the F18C, I can't get any of the other aircraft to get enough speed to get airborne during launch whether from static or moving carrier. I've tried to get help from the Abacus tech support via e-mail as well as phone calls but not only were they unresponsive but from the single conversation I've had previously with their staff, no one seemed to know anything about how the game works. I tried addressing the problem with other fltsim forums but they seemed to be as frustrated as I am. I like playing with FD6 especially doing the carrier landings and take offs, only if Abacus can get the game to work right.                                                                                 

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:07:15 am »
Donsor,

My recommendation would be to just leave Abacus alone.  There are plenty of much better products out there (for free) that far surpasses Flight Deck.  If carrier operations is your cup of tea, I would start by downloading and installing AI Carriers 2 along with Javier's Nimitz.  They are fully functional aircraft carriers with the option of placing them when and wherever you decide.  You can even select the aircraft configuration of the carriers such as a crowded or empty deck to practice your carrier operations.  Hope this helps.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Tregarth

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 09:48:01 pm »
For what it is worth, I bought, (I think in England it was called) Abacus Carrier Ops 2, I think for FS2004.  This turned out to be a UK modified version of Flight Deck 2.  Because I wanted to fly Navy I bought it and tried to use it.  After flogging around for a couple of hours I decided it was so awful I sent a very heated critique to the UK distributor who forwarded it to Cedar Rapids.  I was then invited to be a Beta Tester for Abacus.

One of my annoyances was that one of the carriers was the HMNZS Waikanto (or similar).  The problem was when you started the flight with a plane on the "roof" it promptly fell through the deck and finished up in the bilges.  I beefed about this sufficiently so investigations from the US were started.  It turned out the UK distributor had added the Waikanto and not told Abacus.

I continued being a tester and bitched about the lack of a fresnel lens so eventually they bought an add-on lens for, I think, FD4.  Basically the way Abacus operates is they buy in aircraft etc from different developers and package them onto a CD.  The problem was one developer had Shift +2 for, say, radios, but another person had that combination for GPS.  I used to send little Excel style tables to Cedar Rapids pointing this out to have the panels harmonised.  I seem to remember the Greyhound had a panel with a 90 deg bend in the lower part of the panel so it was really quite unusable.

Hardening the deck was a major problem; they bought in the Arrester Cables program (ArrCab) from someone but fell out with him so he refused to make some modifications.

Eventually, with the arrival of FSX I stopped. 

I am more that happy to fly the FSX Hornet and can't believe how lucky I am to have Sludge working his miracles.  If I meet anyone who is into FSX I tell them to look at Sludge's work; I have demonstrated it at the South West England Flight Sim Group, (70 members - the World's biggest) and am trying to start a copy organisation at Gatwick.

If anyone in SE England wants to join please contact me at c.drake7@yahoo.co.uk

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:54:56 pm »
fd6 was released like 2 years ago, its old, and bad, like all abacus products. why are we bumping this thread? :)

Johan

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »
fd6 was released like 2 years ago, its old, and bad, like all abacus products. why are we bumping this thread? :)

I totally agree. I purchased the product, installed it and removed it 2 days after installation.

Johan