Author Topic: XPOI and FS2020  (Read 19203 times)

mrizfsx

XPOI and FS2020
« on: August 04, 2020, 12:22:59 pm »
Hi.
I have bought XPOI (that I believe to be an outstanding feature in my VFR flights) for FSX and P3d v. 4.5.
I would like to know something about the porting of this software to FS2020.
As I am very likely keen on adopting this new MS platform as my favourite one to play it would be great to have my XPOI also available for it.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Max

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: XPOI and FS2020
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 10:32:16 am »
As I am very likely keen on adopting this new MS platform as my favourite one to play it would be great to have my XPOI also available for it.

We are surely planning to port XPOI and other software/sceneries to MSFS2020, but we don't have a timeline for it, especially in case of XPOI ( and GSX ), since the SDK is still not complete enough to allow this kind of products. Sceneries will likely come first.

mrizfsx

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 01:03:41 pm »
Thank you very much for your answer.
I will eagerly wait for it to be released hoping that it will be the occasion to add some new exciting feature.

See you soon  ;)

Max

mrizfsx

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 05:09:25 pm »
Hi.
I have seen that several companies making products for the new MS Flight Simulator have already brought new toys to the market.
This makes me believe that the SDK is now totally available for the developers.
Am I wrong? ???

If I am right ;), what about your XPOI?
Could you tell us a prevision about when XPOI will be ready to hit the market?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answer.

Max

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 08:07:51 pm »
I have seen that several companies making products for the new MS Flight Simulator have already brought new toys to the market. This makes me believe that the SDK is now totally available for the developers.

Of course, we have been using it for MONTHS and, how else you imagine we could do what will likely the best airport for MSFS ( Chicago O'Hare ) ? That is due in a few days, once the MS Marketplace will start work in again, to be shortly followed by Basel and PHNL later on.

For doing airports and I guess simple airplanes, the SDK is "almost" ( not quite ) ready, but ready enough to do an airport that can be usable or, in case of utilities, very simple stuff, like tracking the airplane position.

As I've said in my last post, the SDK right now is not NEARLY as ready to do what we need to do more complex add-ons that requires more interaction from the user. There's no "Addons" menu, is not even possible to create an option menu yet and the simple call to create objects is not working.

Does any other developer released anything with a menu ? I don't think so. Do you think XPOI ( and GSX ) could work, with no user interface at all ?

mrizfsx

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 09:24:19 pm »
Hi.
Yes, you're absolutely right.
Of course I cannot even imagine an addon like XPOI without menu to open to change preferences and settings and so on.
Actually, today I was flying in MS FS2020 (as anybody calls it now) and I was wondering about the missing menus!!!
What about the good old days? How new addons could be managed without them?
Flight Simulator 2020 certainly represents a very important step in the world of simulators but it certainly cannot be defined as a mature product and that's for sure!!! I strongly hope that the highly appreciated features in P3D (or even the old but glorious FSX) will be implemented in the very near future.
Do you know anything about further developments?
Meanwhile, thanks for the reply.
See you soon.

Max

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 10:16:41 pm »
Do you know anything about further developments?

There are dozen (if not hundreds ) of developers waiting for the SDK and Simconnect to improve, so I'm sure the missing features will arrive.

mrizfsx

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 06:26:07 am »
Great!
Thanks a lot for your answers!
I will wait along with the devs!!! :D :D :D

Max

mrizfsx

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 03:07:19 pm »
Following up on the post I wrote three years ago, given the latest developments about the SDK, are there any news for the making of XPOI for MSFS2020?
Thanks.

Max

mrizfsx

XPOI and FS2020
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 09:42:26 am »
Hi, Umby.
Any news about releasing this product for MSFS2020?

Thanks.

Max

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2023, 10:18:36 pm »
There's a big issue with a possible XPOI version for MSFS, which would be fairly easy to do, if only for this problem. It has been (fairly recently) discovered, that MSFS has an hard limit of 1000 Simobjects in a scene, after that Simconnect will break apart, objects start to disappear and sometimes even whole airports disappear, after collapsing the frame rate.

XPOI can generate thousands of objects on its own (each letter of every POI title is a separate Simobject) but, while in FSX/P3D this has never been a problem, since the objects are very lightweight and they are optimized by distance, in MSFS it's just their *number* that is a problem, no matter how lightweight they are. So we can't do something like that, until this problem is fixed, which of course will benefit lots of other applications, complex airports, GSX, AI traffic, etc.