Author Topic: Problem w/ installer- W7  (Read 6174 times)

Contrail

Problem w/ installer- W7
« on: November 28, 2009, 03:13:34 am »
I have seen several of the posts with probs with installer - followed diretions and still get error when I start FSX-
"Problem with 3r party software. - bglmanx Dynamic Link Library - Version 2,4,0,1 - Do you want to run this software?  - Y or N -  Click yes and FSX shuts down.
Even with cloud 9 UNINSTALLED!

Please help -

Thank you
Contrail

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem w/ installer- W7
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:19:38 pm »
You are using an old version of the Addon Manager. As clearly explained on the Cloud9 page, whenever you install a Cloud9 product the installer hasn't been updated yet to FSDT, you HAVE to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager afterwards.

If you have the module crashing even after the update, follow this directions, exactly:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2358.msg19604#msg19604

Contrail

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:23:38 am »
You are using an old version of the Addon Manager. As clearly explained on the Cloud9 page, whenever you install a Cloud9 product the installer hasn't been updated yet to FSDT, you HAVE to install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager afterwards.

Contrail

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 03:25:24 am »
I was uising the NEW version of add on manager that is posted on your site. I did install scenery 1st, then add on mngr.
I also followed the directions on the other post as to the FSX.cfg file changes.
I did finally get it to work after the 4th attemp of ALL of the steps, however,
I do agree with the other posts that it should'nt be this hard to add scenery.

Thanks for your input.

Contrail

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:49:25 pm »
I did finally get it to work after the 4th attemp of ALL of the steps

It always works, after some tries. Now, FSX will never give that message again for that module.

Which should clearly prove it's not the module that has a problem, but it's FSX that has a problem, which is the Trusting system sometimes goes into an unstable mode, that either requires a reboot, or several tries trusting the same module.

Since the module obviously doesn't change between *tries*, since it's now working, it's clear it didn't had any "problem" to begin with, opposite to what FSX thought.

I do agree with the other posts that it should'nt be this hard to add scenery.

I understand you but, unfortunately, it's something entirely out of our control that has been added to FSX, which is the mandatory Trusting requirements. Which also put an additional financial burden on developers, since we also need to purchase and mantain an yearly subscription for a digital signature certificate.

You would undertand it better, if you would know *how* the FSX "3rd party module" error works:

- When FSX starts, EVERY new module that has been trusted, regardless if it has been tried or not, is first flagged as "bad" in the registry, by setting a key at:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 10.0\Launch

- FSX tries to load it. ONLY after the loading goes fine at least once, the "bad" entry in the registry for that module is cleared so, FSX will stop issuing the message. If FSX can't load the module, the registry entry will not be cleared so, FSX will continue giving the "3rd party module" error message.

The reason why the module doens't run at first, is not very clear but, since it happens ONLY after the module has been just trusted, we suspect that FSX leaves the Windows Trusting system in a somewhat unstable state so, a newly trusted module has less chances to run on its first time. That's why a Windows reboot usually helps.

We have a bglman.dll in FS9 as well but, since FS9 doens't use the Windows Trusting system, we NEVER had the "3rd party module" alert in FS9, although FS9 DOES have its own version of the "3rd party module" alerter but, the FS9 version of our module never triggered it.

It might be interesting to read such comments from a fellow Flight sim developer, Lefteris Kalamaras (former PMDG main developer), about the "beauties" of the FSX Trusting system, and all other things that can go wrong with it:

http://lkalamaras.blogspot.com/2007/06/was-this-for-our-own-good.html
http://lkalamaras.blogspot.com/2008/08/was-this-for-our-own-good-part-deux.html