Author Topic: MSAA textures even if SSAA is enable within my P3DV5 settings  (Read 4609 times)

Lucky67

Why does Live Update always install MSAA-optimized ground textures even if SSAA is actually enabled in my P3Dv5 options?
This used to occur even in previous P3Dv4.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: MSAA textures even if SSAA is enable within my P3DV5 settings
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 06:58:43 pm »
Why does Live Update always install MSAA-optimized ground textures even if SSAA is actually enabled in my P3Dv5 options? This used to occur even in previous P3Dv4.

Most likely because your Prepar3D.cfg contains an error ( illegal comments, for example ), so it cannot be parsed with standard parsing routine so, if the file cannot be parsed, the Live Update stays on the safe side, and assume you MSAA.

Lucky67

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 01:08:31 pm »
Why does Live Update always install MSAA-optimized ground textures even if SSAA is actually enabled in my P3Dv5 options? This used to occur even in previous P3Dv4.

Most likely because your Prepar3D.cfg contains an error ( illegal comments, for example ), so it cannot be parsed with standard parsing routine so, if the file cannot be parsed, the Live Update stays on the safe side, and assume you MSAA.

I don't think so as this is a brand new P3Dv5 installation and I never manipulated the cfg file (no comments at all there).
The parsing routine seems to fail to read correct entries within the cfg file.
All what found within this cfg file is what set by the P3D UI.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 11:02:39 pm »
The parsing routine seems to fail to read correct entries within the cfg file. All what found within this cfg file is what set by the P3D UI.

The parsing routine works correctly. I think I understood what happens in your case. Do you also have P3D V4 installed, and that is set to MSAA perhaps ?

The issue is, this detection is made to decide which set of textures to make active, and since the FSDT installation is shared, it's not possible to have a different set of textures installed for P3D4 and P3D5.

What the updater does, is first check P3D V4 ( if it's installed ) and, if it finds you have MSAA active there, it's stop looking for P3D V5 as well, since even if you had P3D V5 set for SSAA, it wouldn't be possible to have both sets active so, again, under the same reasoning of err on the safe side, it chose to go with MSAA textures.

So, if you want to install SSAA textures automatically, you must set SSAA in P3D V4 as well.

Lucky67

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 12:10:06 am »

No, what you mention cannot be the root cause since this is a brand new win10 installation created from scratch and there is no clue at all of any previous p3d release.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 12:51:40 am »
No, what you mention cannot be the root cause since this is a brand new win10 installation created from scratch and there is no clue at all of any previous p3d release.

Then you should really post your prepar3d.cfg file, because I can only confirm it works normally here, even with only P3D V5 installed and no V4. Do not post the file, but do as follows:

- ZIP the prepar3d.cfg file

- Attach it to a post.

Lucky67

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 10:34:37 am »

Then you should really post your prepar3d.cfg file, because I can only confirm it works normally here, even with only P3D V5 installed and no V4. Do not post the file, but do as follows:

- ZIP the prepar3d.cfg file

- Attach it to a post.

Here it is.
Really can't understand for it does not work as expected.
Thanks in advance for the prompt support.

ptysimmer

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 05:49:49 pm »
Im having the same issue... Attached my p3d.cfg

ALSO... Clean installation of Windows 10 64bit with P3DV5, no trace of anything related to P3DV4 anywhere.

Already tried the trick of deleting p3d.cfg and let P3D create a new one with same results.

Please Help !

Attached ZIP file of CFG.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 01:34:13 pm »

I tried your prepa3d.cfg on my system, and SSAA is correctly detected. If you try again now, I've added an additional diagnostic line so, if there's an error reading the file, it will say so.

Lucky67

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 06:08:30 pm »

I tried your prepa3d.cfg on my system, and SSAA is correctly detected. If you try again now, I've added an additional diagnostic line so, if there's an error reading the file, it will say so.

Ok, now the latest LiveUpdate works fine and SSAA is detected.
Thank you for the prompt support and the enhanced update.