Author Topic: KIAH Ground Textures  (Read 12767 times)

stro19

KIAH Ground Textures
« on: January 19, 2020, 04:38:58 pm »
I saw the post with the canyons and ORBX AEC is disable from KIAH. I scanned KIAH and the only scenery that appears is FSDT. The mesh is set to 5 but I'm getting raised taxi ways.
SaintJoe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KIAH Ground Textures
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:39:19 pm »
Your problem are caused by having set your Mesh resolution slider too high. The KIAH manual, at Page 10, indicates the suggested settings, which are 100% Mesh Complexity and 5mt/pixel Mesh Resolution.

Kevin_28

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 07:03:49 am »
Your problem are caused by having set your Mesh resolution slider too high. The KIAH manual, at Page 10, indicates the suggested settings, which are 100% Mesh Complexity and 5mt/pixel Mesh Resolution.

Hi Virtuali!

I picked up KIAH this past weekend and I'm having the same issue as the user above. See attached photo. I've tried 5m, even 1m, for mesh resolution and it still showed those issues at various bridges. I don't see mesh complexity but I pretty much max'd out the terrain section and I'm still seeing it. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated

As a side note, it's not really a big deal. I can still drive over it without issues. Other than those visual issues at those bridges, it's a fantastic scenery. Many thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 12:53:20 am »
I picked up KIAH this past weekend and I'm having the same issue as the user above.

Your problem doesn't have anything to do with the one posted by the first user and doesn't have anything to do with mesh settings.

The problem in the first post was those two terrain "spikes" which looked like boulders on the taxiways. This and only this is related to Mesh settings, which must be 5 meters and NOT higher. Your problem, instead, is totally different, and it's a visual artifact caused by the fact FSX/P3D is not really a complete 3D graphic engine that allows thing like tunnels so, on some viewing angles, you'll get these problems.

But at least, the taxiway works and works with AI too, because trying to fix the visual issue, would then cause other problems with AI.

cowings1588

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 10:44:24 am »
One of the reasons, I'm so looking forward to a new Houston KIAH redo completely P3D only getting away from that old FSX built. Although it was good in its time and served its purpose. Time to move on from FSX days and leave them in the dust along with leaving in the dust that whole era of 32 bit code where we all feared that OOM error of death as far as that 32 bit code.. Leave all that in the past. Move forward.. New Houston for New P3D platform. Leaving FSX in the dust. Like I said its served it dilligence back then, enjoyed but its time to move on.. So Whenever FSDT is ready so am I and others to move to a new P3D4.5- now P3D5 KIAH and other current newer scenery by you guys in just the P3D platform only !! Hopefully that way riding of those old haunts from FSX days. 
COA
Bill

finchkh

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 02:40:01 pm »

UPDATE: This is an old, unmonitored thread so there was no response from FSDT. However, I can tell you the issue of the "rocks" on the taxiway disappeared after I reset the mesh resolution from 1m to 5m. No other settings changes were made.

In P3D v4.5, I see the setting for mesh resolution - I'm backing mine down from 1m to 5m, hoping this doesn't negatively affect someone else's scenery... - but I don't see Mesh Complexity. Do you mean Scenery Complexity under World/Graphics/Scenery Objects? If so, should the setting be Very Sparse, Sparse, Normal, Dense, Very Dense, or Extremely Dense? (Currently, normal; no % indicators on this slider).

Any ETA for a native P3D KIAH (like KORD)?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:51:51 pm by finchkh »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 01:23:09 pm »
This is an old, unmonitored thread so there was no response from FSDT. However, I can tell you the issue of the "rocks" on the taxiway disappeared after I reset the mesh resolution from 1m to 5m. No other settings changes were made.

That's precisely what I suggested to do in my last post:

is related to Mesh settings, which must be 5 meters and NOT higher

In P3D v4.5, I see the setting for mesh resolution - I'm backing mine down from 1m to 5m, hoping this doesn't negatively affect someone else's scenery... - but I don't see Mesh Complexity.

I said "Your problem are caused by having set your Mesh resolution slider too high", and Mesh resolution is what you were supposed to change, and of course the problem was fixed. I quoted the page of the manual, which ALSO discuss Mesh Complexity, because the manual was written for FSX, in P3D it's called Mesh Tessellation, you can set it any value you like, it's not important as the Resolution, when this problem is concerned.

It shouldn't affect other sceneries. In fact, it might fix spikes elsewhere too, because with so high settings, oversampling rounding errors starts to appear, which are the spikes.