Author Topic: You might Appreciate this...  (Read 19782 times)

JamesChams

Re: You might Appreciate this...
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 10:49:40 pm »
...It's just easier to create such effects, if you don't have to take into account the fact the scenery has to be back ported to FS9. If we ported KMCO in FS9, it would look very bad, because *most* of its looks doesn't come from textures, but from material properties.

So, with later sceneries, we had to restrain ourselves a little bit using these FSX-only features, because otherwise we had to redesign a lot of the scenery for FS9, or having to offer a really bad-looking FS9 version, which is not something we want to do.
Virtuali,
These are just the type of discussions "we" all should be having here... I'm glad we are doing so.

OK; so because of compatibility (which you have mentioned before) you have "limited" the use of tool in FSX so that users of FS9 can have a product, too. :-[ Understood! :-X 
Of course, within a year or so most, if not all, will eventually switch over to FSX.  Especially since companies like FTX/Orbx are developing solely for FSX and the hardware is getting cheaper/better performance-wise.  And, they (FTX) are pushing the FSX technology there too.  They are also looking at going into the German/Italian markets as well as the U.S.A. so, it is believed to be stiff competition expected ahead for developers, even Aerosoft has expressed that they feel that "bite."  What are your plans for that eventuality?  Will you switch over to making Aircraft then or will it be solely sceneries for FSX, and/or is the "playing field" large enough to accommondate everyone with in it, allowing for enough elbow-room for all?

I ask this because I wonder if you will also revisit older projects like Cloud9's KMCO or even yours (ONLY FSDT's) and give them an all NEW FULL FSX tool upgrade, etc.  I especially would like to see that on your (Tomcat) aircraft.  I want it to be, as Mr. Newmanix says, real "Bad-A$$ed" with all the FSX stuff possible. ;D

Anyway, Thanks for taking the time to discuss things with "us," customers, for a change. And, again, I welcome it again sometime soon! ;D

Ciao! :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 10:52:55 pm by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 10:58:13 pm »
Even the framerates in the video, were not as smooth as the results I get in FS9.

The video on Youtube is encoded at 25 fps, regardless on what framerate the FSX PC was running at. Which means, on top of not being the real frame rate, it will look jumpy without perfect synchronization between the gaming frame rate and the video encoding framerate, which is the case here. And, there's probably the overhead due to fraps, or whatever they use to capture the video.

So, it's always wrong to judge smoothness from a video, both when it's good and when is not so good.

That's why, instead of spending time creating videos, we prefer to give freely downloadable Trial versions of the scenery.

Virtuali,

You're right, and I see your point. Even my FS videos on YouTube, there is a huge difference. Even when FRAPS is running/recording in FS, my FPS drops slightly down as the CPU has to process the extra workload. And you are also right, Youtube limits the frames for better download/buffering speeds. Thus, the frames must be much better then what we saw in the first video indeed.

James,

I'd really love to see those specs... Of cource, I assume, that is only the airport scenery he displayed. If I add my FSGlobal, ActiveSky, UT, FS Elemental, Instant Enhancer, GE, and Pro mesh/terrain scneneries then that may put a huge dent in the FSX works as well. All these programs plus highend sceneries like FSDT KJFK, FDC, FS Passengers, and highend aircraft like my CS or PMDG aircraft still gets me the average of 35-50FPS in FS9. But would these results still yeld with that guys specs in FSX?

So James, in that second video, who knows what other FS addon programs were running? But for what it's worth, I was very impressed with what I saw minus the stuttering or maybe that was the iPhone... I look foward to your new rig specs, video and screenshots.

I have the $2000 on hold till January. which I have been sitting on for a year now. If I don't see any hardware impressive enough by Jan, that $2000 is going toward my new rims on my Passat and FSX will have to wait till 2011. Of cource, assuming there will be affordable rigs bad@$$ed enough by then... ;)

newmanix
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:02:05 pm by newmanix »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2009, 11:00:46 pm »
Will you switch over to making Aircraft then or will it be solely sceneries for FSX, and/or is the "playing field" large enough to accommondate everyone with in it, allowing for enough elbow-room for all?

We don't have any crystall ball. One thing for sure, we'll not switch because of someone else is switching too, but only IF and WHEN, FS9 sales will drastically drop.

Alright, we don't have precise exact figures, but we have a rough idea from the downloads (there's no reasons to suspect FS9 users downloads the Trial more than FSX and don't buy it afterwards) so, as we said, many times already, when FS9 downloads will slow down considerably, we'll decide what to do. It's not that FS9 will die instantly so, there will be quite some time to react.

In the meantime, who knows, we might have other suprises. Perhaps Windows 7 will be a catastrofic failure, so Microsoft will concentrate on the Xbox360, and the PC gaming will just die...

Or, Windows 7 will be an incredible success, and PC gaming will rise again, together with a new Flight sim announcement. Who knows ?

We'll surely not look at what other developers do, when taking decisions, because most of the issues involved are far bigger than the small Flight sim addon business "backyard"...

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 11:09:14 pm »
Will you switch over to making Aircraft then or will it be solely sceneries for FSX, and/or is the "playing field" large enough to accommondate everyone with in it, allowing for enough elbow-room for all?

We don't have any crystall ball. One thing for sure, we'll not switch because of someone else is switching too, but only IF and WHEN, FS9 sales will drastically drop.

Alright, we don't have precise exact figures, but we have a rough idea from the downloads (there's no reasons to suspect FS9 users downloads the Trial more than FSX and don't buy it afterwards) so, as we said, many times already, when FS9 downloads will slow down considerably, we'll decide what to do. It's not that FS9 will die instantly so, there will be quite some time to react.

In the meantime, who knows, we might have other suprises. Perhaps Windows 7 will be a catastrofic failure, so Microsoft will concentrate on the Xbox360, and the PC gaming will just die...

Or, Windows 7 will be an incredible success, and PC gaming will rise again, together with a new Flight sim announcement. Who knows ?

We'll surely not look at what other developers do, when taking decisions, because most of the issues involved are far bigger than the small Flight sim addon business "backyard"...

Well one thing is for sure, I will ONLY fly on a PC based simulatior. If Microsoft wants to push FS on a XBOX or somthing like that, then between FS9 and FSX that should hold me for at least 5 to 7 years. We will wait to see if Aerosoft's sim gains much notoriety... For the meantime, I am counting on FSX being the "alive" simulatior for the next 5 years...

For now, I am just really counting on FS9 to stay alive. And as long as great sceneries are still being produced for FS9, 3rd party developers will have my cash. FSDT Hawaii, is burning a hole in my mind!! I am really looking forward to flying the islands. I think that was a very good idea! And again Virtuali, I know FSDT has it's reasons for making FS9 sceneries still. I am just VERY glad you still do.

newmanix
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:11:03 pm by newmanix »

JamesChams

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 11:38:53 pm »
Virtuali,

We don't have any crystall ball.
I'm glad; I'm actually praying for you to get "saved" (Christian) and that "witchcraft stuff" just gets in the way. :D Just Kidding! ;D

One thing for sure, we'll not switch because of someone else is switching too, but only IF and WHEN, FS9 sales will drastically drop.
Darn, so I've been helping FS'9er by downloading the FS9 Version, too. Yikes! :o :( >:(

I don't know but, with the whole global economic downturn, the mafia might start up all over again, and I might still have a "stone in my shoe" with all the FS'whining, which I'm going to ask a favor or two from those "wise-guys."  So, maybe FS9 sales will go down instantly. LOL :D Just Kidding!  ;D

BACK TO BEING SERIOUS ABOUT THIS...

...We'll surely not look at what other developers do, when taking decisions, because most of the issues involved are far bigger than the small Flight sim addon business "backyard"...
Understood!  But, it doesn't hurt to see that they are growing by "leaps as bounds" with FSX Only products; the last thing you want to happen is to be behind in production (they are putting out another 11 "High-End" Sceneries in the next couple of months), but in your case that may not be an issue to be concerned about, is it? ???

==============================================================================

Mr. Newmanix,

No prob, I will give them to you.  And, I'm glad you've saved your dollars; so don't worry, I'll help you find a "Bad-@$$ed" rig to go with all you FSX addon's.  BTW: My current setup uses, all those with FTX's stuff, at an average of around 30-40FPS with everything MAX.'ed.  But it is no where near as cheap ($$$-wise) as you are hoping for; the newer stuff, however, is.  8)

Ciao!  ;)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 12:33:31 am »
Darn, so I've been helping FS'9er by downloading the FS9 Version, too. Yikes! :o :( >:(

Busted, James! I knew you were still an FS9'er at heart.   ;)
I'm guilty as well, I fly with both versions.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 12:58:00 am »

Busted, James! I knew you were still an FS9'er at heart.   ;)
I'm guilty as well, I fly with both versions.

Ooh!!! Good point! James! What the hell are you doing downloading FS9???????

JamesChams

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 02:16:22 am »
Gents,

Well, I must admit, I converted from the "Dark-side" (FS9) of the "Force" (FlightSim) to the "Good-side" (FSX) shortly after FSX came out and I bought a FSX capable system. :D ;D  So, I was an FS9'er at one point in the past ::); but an FS'Whiner :P - Never! >:(

Funny the things you guys find to pick on... ;D :D LOL :D ;D

Honestly, I actually download every version (FS9/FSX) of FSDT's products and burn them to DVD; but, I haven't installed or run FS9 in a couple of years, :-\ may be more.   Also, since you always ask, that's why I have Aerosoft, Orbx, and a few others do DVD's for me...it a lot of work! :P

:o Busted indeed! :-X :'(
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 02:21:47 am by JamesChams »
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

yankeesji

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 06:42:10 am »
No disrespect Mr. James Chams, but ever single forum I look at, you are always arguing with people about the same thing...Why? Sorry, but I finally had to ask...

knack

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 10:04:58 am »
No disrespect Mr. James Chams, but ever single forum I look at, you are always arguing with people about the same thing...Why? Sorry, but I finally had to ask...
:D ;D ::) :D
Kidding aside...even though I am a huge admirer of the amazing work that OrbX/FTX produce, beyond the 'wow' factor why would anyone want / need such detail from an airport?  I can understand very detailed scenery since FSX really does allow and encourage low and slow flights but we're talking about FLIGHT simulator, not ROAD simulator.  No disrespect to John V (and had I a rig that could run FSX decently I'd be buying all the OrbX stuff in a flash).
It seems to me that this is an exercise in showcasing the potential and capabilities of FSX rather than adding to our flight simming experience in any significant way.  I'm more than happy with the detail I get off the FS9 versions of the FSDT products although I do appreciate the jaw-dropping clarity and detail FSX is capable of showing.

Cheers,
Tony
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 10:20:20 am by knack »

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 10:25:30 am »
...you are always arguing with people about the same thing...Why?

Who is he arguing with?  All I see is a difference of opinion.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 11:46:31 am »
...you are always arguing with people about the same thing...Why?

Who is he arguing with?  All I see is a difference of opinion.

I think what he was meant was that on every forum he sees James on he reads pretty much the same style posts about how much better FSX is, why isn't everyone on FSX?, and the stiring of the pot on the subject, arguing, etc.

Know one needs to convince me of FSX. I haven't flow FS9 in over a year and a half.

I respect James' view on FSX, but after reading it over and over on many different forums, and the disagreements, and the "FS Whiners" stuff, I to get tired of it, and just try to ignore it.

He's probably the most vocal of anyone person I have ever seen in the FSX community forums. The only forum I have never seen James on is Avsim, so if you don't want to hear from him go there.

A politician should hire him as a campaign manager, if he hasn't already been one.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 12:12:22 pm by cmpbllsjc »

yankeesji

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 03:24:02 pm »
 :D :D

Thank you gentlemen.  LOL

JamesChams

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 06:10:08 pm »
So, as an FSX-ONLY customer, I'm buying "sub-standard FSX Quality" so that you'll get a product; I should be made into a "Saint."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:16:53 pm by virtuali »
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 06:20:54 pm »
So, as an FSX-ONLY customer, I'm buying "sub-standard FSX Quality" so that you'll get a product;

It goes in both directions: we are not fully exploiting FS9 either, because the main version if the FSX one.

P.S.
I've edited your post, because it was basically unreadable, with all those giant colored font, even when quoting my message, which is not how it was posted. There's no need to write in big and/or colored letters. If you have a point, you'll have it regardless of the font size. If you don't, you can write it as big as you whish, it doesn't make any difference.