Author Topic: Fatal error when installing GSX  (Read 4054 times)

WebMaximus

Fatal error when installing GSX
« on: October 22, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »
When installing GSX I get a fatal error thrown at me during installation and it seems to be because the required SimConnect version was already installed. Anyway the installation continued when I cleared the error message and as far as I can tell GSX seems to be working despite this error message.

If the culprit causing this fatal error indeed is the same version of SimConnect that the GSX installer is about to install maybe there's no need throwing a fatal error simply because of that? Instead the installer could just inform you there's no need to install SimConnect since it's already installed...?
Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Fatal error when installing GSX
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:14:18 pm »
If the culprit causing this fatal error indeed is the same version of SimConnect that the GSX installer is about to install maybe there's no need throwing a fatal error simply because of that? Instead the installer could just inform you there's no need to install SimConnect since it's already installed...?

If you are seeing the message "there's has been an error running the Simconnt client installer, the result code is:" followed by a number, it doesn't mean you already have Simconnect installed, but it means the Simconnect client installer is either:

1) Missing in your system, because you removed it from the SDK folder inside the sim ( note that this applies ONLY if you are installing under FSX:SE or P3D. We don't launch the Simconnect installer if you install into FSX, because there's no need for it)

OR

2) It's present, but has returned an error code, the "number" indicated in the error message.

In BOTH cases, it's quite correct for the installer to report you about a potential abnormal situation, even if it might not affect GSX (it might or not, but the installer cannot know in advance).

In a NORMAL situation, launching the Simconnect installer when the same version is already installed, should result in the installation skipping away *very* fast, but with no errors.

WebMaximus

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 04:07:31 pm »
I'm using P3Dv2.5 and I have the below SimConnect versions installed and they are all working just fine as far as I know. That is to say I haven't had any issues related to SimConnect before I got this fatal error during the installation of GSX.

Microsoft ESP SimConnect Client v 1.0.20.0
Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v 10.0.61242.0
Microsoft Flight Simulator SimConnect Client v 10.0.61259.0

I have not removed anything from the P3Dv2.5 install.

So I'm not really sure what the fatal error I get during GSX installation means and as far as I can recall there wasn't an error code but guess I could try uninstalling GSX and then reinstalling it again if that would be of interest?

Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 04:36:14 pm »
I got this fatal error during the installation of GSX.

As I've said, it's important to know if this "fatal" error ( we don't use this word in the GSX installer ), is coming from the GSX installer, so it will appear like this:

"there's has been an error running the Simconnect client installer, the result code is: xxxx"

Or, it's ANOTHER error, coming from the Simconnect installer itself.

I have not removed anything from the P3Dv2.5 install.

As I've said, there were TWO possible reasons. 1) Installer missing OR 2) Installer reporting back an error.

If you HAVE the Simconnect.MSI installer in the SDK legacy folder, than it's likely your are in the #2 case.

WebMaximus

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:44:26 pm »
As I've said I don't get the kind of error message you're suggesting and certainly not any error codes. To avoid spending too much time having these kind of discussions with you (I've been down this road before...) I uninstalled GSX and reinstalled it to get the exact messages and I grabbed two screenshots so you can see for yourself what they look like and what they say. However after reading what you've already said you don't include any fatal error messages in the GSX installation program so I guess what's seen here must then be from SimConnect.

And as I've said everything seems to be working just fine in regards to SimConnect including GSX so I won't spend any more of my valuable spare time pushing this issue any further. As long as things are working I'm happy. Just thought it was a bit weird why I get this/these error message(s) during the GSX installation.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9239F42836CB1282!2742&authkey=!AINMxy0IFElr3Cw&ithint=file%2cJPG

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=9239F42836CB1282!2741&authkey=!APBAX7j-TqOyuYo&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG
Richard Åsberg

hrhett

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2022, 05:01:17 am »
Umberto,

I know this is an old post but recently I lost my HDD and have been forced to reinstall P3D. When installing airport scenery I get a Setup popup "Fatal error during installation". Behind the installation window the install point is the Simconnect Client. I clear the message and the installation continues. Live Update runs and on launching the sim, the scenery seems to be intact without errors. Even though the message indicates a major failure for simconnect to install, it proceeds nonetheless and following LU the ship seems to self-rights itself.

Any idea on how to mitigate the error window to start with? I followed other threads on this topic and none of the recommendations seem to have an affect.

Best regards,
Howard 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2022, 11:11:05 am »
Umberto,When installing airport scenery I get a Setup popup "Fatal error during installation". Behind the installation window the install point is the Simconnect Client.

Yes, that message is not coming from our installer, it's coming from the Simconnect own installer we just launch during the installation, which is the FSX-SP2 Simconnect redistributable, located here:

\Prepar3D v5\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib

However, with 64 bit P3D, having the FSX Simconnect properly installed is not affecting our products, since we have been moving to use the native 64 bit Simconnect a while ago so, even if the FSX redistributable is always useful to have, a problem with it won't affect our products.