Author Topic: GSX PBR Update  (Read 97128 times)

simtom

Re: GSX PBR Update
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2019, 06:20:16 pm »
So, I uninstalled everything and disconnected my computer from the internet (for preventing the Live Updater to download anything).

I had no problems with the installation and all the files were still present.

I was also able to register GSX in P3D but as soon as I reconnected to the internet weird stuff started to happen. Whenever I request something from the CTRL + F12 menu Couatl crashed.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2019, 06:22:30 pm »
So, I uninstalled everything and disconnected my computer from the internet (for preventing the Live Updater to download anything).

Which of course is precisely what you should NOT do, since we released some fixes in the meantime

Whenever I request something from the CTRL + F12 menu Couatl crashed

Has it crashed with a suggestion to open the error log ? If yes, open the error log, save it, ZIP it and Attach it to a post.

AFS

« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2019, 06:26:15 pm »
Dear Umberto,

maybe you should tackle the problem from another angle.

It makes no sense now to examine countless systems for possible misbehavior. Smarter would be to make the installer so that it runs everywhere.

I'm also wondering why all the other updates have always been hassle-free and now not at all. Have you changed anything and if so, what?

Since the update obviously has allocation problems with installations that are NOT installed on C: - I'm NOT talking about your computer now - it would be smart to ask for user input instead to use the  "full automatic" mode .

For example, the query for which version of the flight simulator should be updated. Here, of course, the registry can be read out and a suggestion made, but the user can change the path according to his own needs.

The same can be done by querying the valid GSX installation path.

Thus, the installer knows exactly what he (files for FSX or P3D4, only legacy or only PBR files) exactly install or update and what is not. The user input is then the basis for the installation or the update.
Errors are then automatically only on the user - in contrast to now.

The problem with different registry entries to perhaps nonexistent simulator installations is then non existent.

I also think it would be wise to put just the new full installation files for downloading on the server instead of this huge live update.

This certainly requires less server time than the live update with such a large amount of files.

If the setup file does the same user queries before installation, nothing can go wrong. This gives users the freedom to decide what they want to install where.
Many software manufacturers do this, e.g. REX, and there is no problem with that.

I would use the live update only for small updates, as before.

Perhaps this option would be more efficient in the long run than having to deal with bugfixes now and all the time.

Maybe you can think about it.

simtom

« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2019, 06:26:28 pm »
Which of course is precisely what you should NOT do, since we released some fixes in the meantime

All right, I'll uninstall it again without disconnecting.

Has it crashed with a suggestion to open the error log ? If yes, open the error log, save it, ZIP it and Attach it to a post.

I'll update you on that after reinstalling (if still occurring).

simtom

« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2019, 06:32:41 pm »

The crash log isn't very long, this is all I get:
couatl v3.2 (build 4231)
panic log started on Tue Jul  2 18:30:56 2019

problem raised by engine or unspecified addon
{'Airport': 'KSFO', 'User Pos': (37.61067183629535, -122.38701042433878, 6.36775 m, 2.40575 m, 210.28998983289128)}

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2019, 06:38:01 pm »
It makes no sense now to examine countless systems for possible misbehavior. Smarter would be to make the installer so that it runs everywhere.

In order to make an " installer that runs everywhere", one has to examine countless systems for possible misbehavior.

I'm also wondering why all the other updates have always been hassle-free and now not at all. Have you changed anything and if so, what?

We rewrote the Live Update from scratch, before users complained it was too slow.

Since the update obviously has allocation problems with installations that are NOT installed on C: - I'm NOT talking about your computer now - it would be smart to ask for user input instead to use the  "full automatic" mode .

The installer obviously WORKS on every drive. And I'm not talking about "my" computer, I also talking about the computers of all our testers, and I doubt they ALL installed into C:

For example, the query for which version of the flight simulator should be updated. Here, of course, the registry can be read out and a suggestion made, but the user can change the path according to his own needs.

The place which or were the simulator is installed doesn't have any effect on the path the user is supposed to choose for FSDT.

The same can be done by querying the valid GSX installation path.

Sorry, no. The GSX path MUST the same of the last FSDT installation, and we cannot risk stuff not working, just because GSX was installed in a different folder than, let's say, JFK. They are DESIGNED to work TOGETHER.

So, the current solution is the right one:

- Leave total freedom of choice to users on the FIRST FSDT install

- Store a key in the registry about that choice.

- Automatically install into the same key all the other products.

]he problem with different registry entries to perhaps nonexistent simulator installations is then non existent.

We already fixed this.

I also think it would be wise to put just the new full installation files for downloading on the server instead of this huge live update.

That's exactly as it is now.

This certainly requires less server time than the live update with such a large amount of files.

That's why we suggested to use the Full installer, rather than the updater for THIS update. But that doesn't mean the updater won't work, it's just  slower.

If the setup file does the same user queries before installation, nothing can go wrong. This gives users the freedom to decide what they want to install where. Many software manufacturers do this, e.g. REX, and there is no problem with that.

That's exactly how it is now. You have complete choice over where to install into. But all FSDT products MUST be together.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2019, 06:39:34 pm »
The crash log isn't very long, this is all I get:

It's best if you open a separate thread about this.

simtom

« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2019, 06:43:58 pm »
It's best if you open a separate thread about this.

Ok, will do!

As for the re-installation, same outcome. The live updater removes essential files.

Syzygy

« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2019, 06:49:41 pm »
Hi again Umberto,

I sent you my Teamviewer ID and Password by PM as requested. I’ve waited quite a while but I can only guess how busy you are at the moment. I cannot wait any longer so will close down for the moment.

Thanks anyway  :)

Roger

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2019, 07:12:44 pm »
As for the re-installation, same outcome. The live updater removes essential files.

Is your K:\FSX the folder where FSX is installed into ?

Renoi71

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2019, 08:05:50 pm »
Hello support

So I fixed my problem ... For me I uninstalled all FSDT products delete the folder C: \ Program Files (x86) -->Addon Manager<--    reinstall it update PBR and the FSDT Live update , everything works...
Damage that we have to reinstall all the airports... :-\

mcdonoughdr

« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2019, 08:06:35 pm »
Any chance of finding an API or something to download real world airport fuel prices? Seems much more realistic then just the Department Of Energy price.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2019, 08:54:48 pm »
Any chance of finding an API or something to download real world airport fuel prices? Seems much more realistic then just the Department Of Energy price.

Sure, as long as you prepared to pay a subscription price for GSX JUST to get a more realistic fuel price.

Of course, we researched this and, the only API which are available and lists the actual fuel price at airports, are available only as a subscription, to be used by real-world flight planners (also sold under subscription), and usually have data for the US only.

There was some guy who made a free website, we contacted him about an API, never got any reply. If you can find an API that can be used for free, and has a Worldwide coverage, we'll be more than willing to replace the existing one.

PC Pilot

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2019, 09:03:29 pm »
Please post the link for the new thread regarding this issue so the rest of us can at least follow it.

And please report any solutions from TM sessions as I would imagine they will apply to those of usexperiencing this issue.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2019, 09:08:02 pm »
Please post the link for the new thread regarding this issue so the rest of us can at least follow it.

Which issue ? This thread is already unreadable because everybody posted about everything.

And please report any solutions from TM sessions as I would imagine they will apply to those of usexperiencing this issue.

The TM session is required only to check for ONE thing:

- The supposed inability to install into a folder on a different drive than the sim, which works perfectly here and for all out testers too so, because I cannot replicate it, I need to have TM session with someone affected by THIS specific issue.

There are no other issues I'm aware of, and we already fixed what was the only known bug on the jetway logo, which affected only FSX users.