Author Topic: Stuttering in FS9: Can it be fixed?  (Read 14063 times)

crunk747

Re: Stuttering in FS9: Can it be fixed?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 07:27:57 pm »
Yes, I use nHancer but let me give this profile a try and I'll see what it does  ;) Thank you !

Regards,
Dan

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 07:36:45 pm »
U welcome, I hope it works  :)
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 07:58:22 pm »
Yes, I use nHancer but let me give this profile a try and I'll see what it does  ;) Thank you !

Regards,
Dan

Remember to turn the antialiasing OFF!  in the FS2004 options, otherwise it won't work  :)
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

crunk747

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 01:48:43 am »
Ok I used that nVidia nHancer profile u provided and I am pleased to say there has been minimal to no stuttering!!!  ;D ;D ;D However on the nHancer control panel on the profile u gave me on the CPU Support section when I selected multi core it says " Not all settings in this profile can be activated automatically in Direct 3D games. Use it for OpenGL game or activate it manually." How do I fix this??

Regards,

Dan

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 08:03:07 am »
U have to make a new profil for each game or you can chosse "Best quality" then the game choose the best settings, games like Battlefield2, Far Cry and so on...

I only have one profile and that's FS9. When I play other games I choose "best quality"  :)

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 07:41:34 pm »
Is it working  ???

atco

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009, 11:51:30 pm »
If you run with a lot of AI, if you have any DXT3 textures that don't have an alpha channel you will get stuttering.

Even a single texture will cause a stutter.

Try the airports without an AI at all and see if you get smooth performance.
Then try with the AI on, if you get stuttering only with AI on then that is possibly the problem.

The way to check if there is an alpha channel present is to open the texture in imagetool and it will tell you.

Just an option possibly I've been stuck in this hell before myself - it was only with the help of FS-GS that I got a wonderful, smooth sim.
But this was a serious cause of trouble for me, and adding the alpha to a few textures that were missing one, solved the issue.

*********EDIT*********
Interesting, just browsing through my FSDT KLAS texture folder and lo and behold a bunch of DXT3 textures with no alpha channel.
Bingo - say hello to stutters.
Offending files found so far:
KLAS_FINGER.bmp
KLAS_roof_01.bmp
KLAS_roof_02.bmp
KLAS_roof_03.bmp
KLAS_roof_04.bmp
All the KLAS_ED_ textures

You can check for yourself by opening these files in imagetool and you will see on the panel on the right side it says "Alpha: None"

To add an alpha channel to a texture simply open it in DXTBMP (Freeware by Martin Wright) and save it again. DXTBMP will add a white alpha to the texture. If you look at the same texture again in imagetool it will now say "Alpha: Alpha"
Looks like KFLL is the same too :(
I can see the next hour is going to be spent resaving textures from my FSDT folder.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 12:46:16 am by atco »

crunk747

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2009, 06:16:50 pm »
Oh yes FS9 appears to be fixed with stuttering its only minor at FSDT airports. I will also try that texture thing too.  ;) Now I'm trying to fix the problem with FS9 textures and how they only render within a certain radius of my aircraft, but in FSX it doesnt do that. I think it has to do with anisotropic filtering which FS9 doesnt have.  :-\

Regards,

Dan