Author Topic: 2 copies of FS2004 on one computer possible ?  (Read 15988 times)

christiaan

2 copies of FS2004 on one computer possible ?
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:11:21 pm »
I have the FS2004 installed on my 2nd HD (D), as it is not possible to install the 9.1 update, as I cannot use Cloud9 or DreamTeam, which requires this up-date, without removing the many add-ons I have installed over the last few years.

PLAN A
Is it possible to install the FS2004 also on the "C "HD so that I can start from scratch , install the 9.1 update and then all the Aircraft, Airports (both free and payware ) Ground textures etc. Incase Plan B goes wrong.

PLAN B
Then remove the FS2004 from the "D" HD and re-install FS2004 on the "D" HD to it's present state as now, with the update before removing the FS 2004 from the "C" HD as I like to keep this for none- FS2004 files.

I do not want to remove the FS2004 from the "D" HD until I am sure it will work and not be left with nothing.

I know it will take a while to get a FS2004 with the up-date back to the original "D" HD so that I can enjoy the DreamTeam sceneries but I can be patient.

If it is possible is there a way to copy FS 2004 files from the "D"to the "C" once the update has been installed.

As I mentioned I want to have the renewed FS 2004 eventually back to the 2nd HD as I only want the FS & related files on this HD

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:20:13 pm by henry »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: 2 copies of FS2004 on one computer possible ?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:35:28 pm »
I have the FS2004 installed on my 2nd HD (D), as it is not possible to install the 9.1 update, as I cannot use Cloud9 or DreamTeam, which requires this up-date, without removing the many add-ons I have installed over the last few years.

Who told you that, if you want to update FS9.0 to 9.1, you need to reinstall all the addons ?

The only thing you should check to successfully update to 9.1, is that both FS9.EXE and all the original .DLL in the MODULES folder are in their original unmodified state, otherwise the udpater will fail.

So, if you have patched the FS9.EXE to allow >2GB or you have patched it to eliminate the CD check, you need to restore the original .EXE BEFORE trying to run the 9.1 update, update, and than patch over the updated FS9.EXE

And, you might also need to remove the BACKUP folder the 9.1 updater creates.

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 02:49:01 am »
Hello Virtuali,

Sorry to impede on this topic, but I've been wondering, where can I get the 2gb patch for FS9?  And, is the patch for FS no matter what OS you're running?  I'm using Vista 64bit.  And when when I install it, how much RAM will it be able to process then?
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"

christiaan

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 11:51:00 am »
My excused for this long post but I am desperate.

I have written before about this topic, I had used your sceneries without having the fs9.1 update, I do not know how, I presumed that it was installed with another airport down load.
On 29 april 13.34 all the scenery files from Dreamteam & Cloud 9 changed.

I thought maybe a new addon update was released on that date which may have deleted mine unintentionally

I only noticed this a couple of weeks later at EHAM and that the ADDON MANAGER had disapeared from the FS9 Taskbar.I can send you my e-mail addres so tht you can confirm my orders.

I installed the up-date in the same folder were all the other FS9 Files are fs9.exe, Modules,SCENERY etc.

I have not patched the fs9.exe in any way.

At your request I tried to start the fs9.1 update but if freeze up at the modules ABLSCPT. I then removed the update from the FS9 main folder.

The fs9.exe and 33 of the dll files in MODULES have the same date  13-06-3003  and number 9.0.0.30612.

I then tried an old addon manager O'Hare version 1.50.0.0 dated 13-03-2008 which seemed to install but when I started the FS9 I was asked to update the airport then the FS terminated.
When I tried to install I got the message that it was not possible because I did not have the fs9.1 update.
I then had to remove the bglman.dll as I could not start the FS.

In the module file I have3 DAT files also dated 13-03-2008, BGLMAN, bgl_fsdt and blgman_skymakers. which I presume remained over from the ADD-ON MANAGER when I could use your scenery.

Have a backup file  which contains unpatch and unpatch.bak both with 0 kb changed 14-4-09 which is probably when I attempted to install the 9.1 update.

I downloaded the FS2004_is_Here, I did not need to alter anything as the path was perfect.

You also wrote
You can try to check write permission for the FS9 folder, perhaps the updater is failing because it can't write to it. Check the permission on the main folder, and give the "Everyone" user read and write access, and be sure to apply the setting to the main folder + subfolders.

I have tried to find this but I get a message that it is  "simple " and the tick box is grey for everyone as it has a code" 5 (according to Internet) which means a high security risk.

Once again Virtuali thanks for your patience in the past.
I am desperate not only for the sceneries that I have lost but I also want to install your LAS VEGAS

Best Regards
Henry

« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 11:59:12 am by henry »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 12:03:30 pm »
You have two different issues at play here:

1) Addon Manager: you just can't use an older version of it, because the current sceneries requires the version that comes with them, the older ones will not work anymore.

Note that, you might have been to have an older installer to run, because older installers (and all Cloud9 installers) did not checked for FS9.1 to be updated, but then the scenery wouldn't work properly, that's why we check the FS version in the current installers, so people would not install it in FS9.0 by mistake, only to discover the scenery would probably crash randomly because of this.

So, you have to use the current version, that requires 9.1 to be installed.

2) FS9.1 - The updater froze on ABLSCRIPT, but I don't think that file is the issue, it just happening to be the first in alphabetical order of the FS9\MODULES folder that needs to be updated, so the Updater failed immediately.

Having a BACKUP folder or not, should just change the fact that you get a message from the updater that you already have installed it, it shouldn't make it fail so, there's something else going on here.

You might try another solution:

- Manually remove FS9.EXE

- Manually remove all the original Microsoft .DLL modules in the FS9\MODULES folder. They should be quite easy to tell apart from the 3rd party modules, because they all share the same date/time

- Insert your FS9 CD1, run setup, and see if it offers you to "Repair" the installation, it should just restore the file you removed, in their original form.

- Try to run the 9.1 Updater, after having removed the BACKUP folder, if there's any.

christiaan

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 02:39:25 pm »
Two small questions,

Must I make a back-up of  the files in case something goes wrong with a repair attempt so that I can paste them back if necessary.

The FS9.exe which is in the main FS folder has an aircraft symbol, this is the one you mean?

In the main folder I still have the  fs9.1 update installer plus an un-installer file.
Shall I remove thee first.

Will repair cause any issues with all the payed  and freeware addons which I have,

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 02:50:45 pm »
Must I make a back-up of  the files in case something goes wrong with a repair attempt so that I can paste them back if necessary.

It wouldn't hurt...

The FS9.exe which is in the main FS folder has an aircraft symbol, this is the one you mean?

Yes. And, it's much better if you turn on the View option in Explorer to show you the full name+extension of files AND, is also suggested to turn on the option to show system files, otherwise .DLL files might not be shown.

In the main folder I still have the  fs9.1 update installer plus an un-installer file. Shall I remove thee first.

It's best to move just the 9.1 updater to another folder, before reparing. Don't touch the uninstaller. Remove the BACKUP folder, if you have one.

Will repair cause any issues with all the payed  and freeware addons which I have,

As I've said already, no.  Unless, something happens, you try to fix it in the wrong way, then you don't know what to do next, then you might screw it up to the point you can't recover it anymore.

But no, the update itself won't cause any problem to installed addons, what can cause problems might be wrong subsequent actions made trying to fix it in the wrong way...

christiaan

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 03:45:50 pm »
Thanks for your quick answer.

The fs9.exe. path is according to it's properties

D:\Program Files\Microsoft games\Flight Simulator 9

The fs9.exe and the default dll's in the modules can I make a back up in case of problems and put them in another place along the the 9.1 updater.

I am not an expert and therefore inclined to ask 10 times before I alter anything.

You have been extremely patient with me up to now which is greatly appreciated.

Henry

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »
The fs9.exe and the default dll's in the modules can I make a back up in case of problems and put them in another place along the the 9.1 updater.

Just create a new empty folder anywere (even your Desktop), copy FS9.EXE there, then copy the whole modules folder inside this new folder. This should be enough to give you a backup.

christiaan

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 08:07:00 pm »
I have just inserted CD 1

After set up I get 4  options

Express Install

Custum Install

Web Connection

Register Online.

Which do I have to use in order to the the "REPAIR" programme?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 09:04:27 pm »
Try to select FS2004 from the Windows Control Panel, and see if it offers an option to uninstall and an option to repair.

If it doesn't, or you don't see an entry for FS2004 in the Control Panel, perhaps your Windows registry for FS9 is wrong, missing, or pointing to the wrong folder. That might be also the source of your issues trying to update to 9.1

You can also try to run this utility from Flight1

http://www.flight1software.com/files/FS_Registry_Repair.exe

that should fix the registry entries. I don't know how it works, never tried it.

Aeroman

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 12:49:21 am »
Sorry to impede on this topic, but I've been wondering, where can I get the 2gb patch for FS9?  And, is the patch for FS no matter what OS you're running?  I'm using Vista 64bit.  And when when I install it, how much RAM will it be able to process then?

Can someone help please?  Is it an actual patch or is it a modification to the FS9.exe? 
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
"We know why you fly"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 12:56:49 am »
Can someone help please?  Is it an actual patch or is it a modification to the FS9.exe?

No, it's not a patch, it's a modification that you can do yourself with some .EXE editing tools

It has been explained here:
http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1239243552/15#15

That post mentions several things, just follow the explanation when he discusses the >2GB patch.

Aeroman

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 01:12:32 am »
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  I googled it but couldn't find a good link off hand.
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
"We know why you fly"

christiaan

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:21 pm »
Hi Vrtuali,

Sorry about the delay since my last post but I was not able to work on my computer.

Because I could not find the repair  on the CD 1  I transferred the fs9, install update 9.1   & default modules  back to the FS main folder

I ticked on the up-date install and got a message that the 9.1 update seams to be installed.
So I downloaded a new stand alone manager on the KJFK scenery.

When I tried to install it says that modules'g3d.dll was from FS9.0.

Am I getting any further in getting my sceneries back?

Regards
Henry

Checked the forum about this

I do not have a g3d.dll but still have the default GLOBAL & G3D dll's version 9.0.0.30612 in the Modules map
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:11:52 pm by henry »