Author Topic: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET  (Read 282931 times)

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:46:07 am »
2018 FSX BLUE ANGELS F/A-18C HORNET

DEVELOPER NOTES:
LATEST NEWS:
-16 SEP 2018:  Hey everyone.  Just a quick update.  First of all, thanks for all of the sound feedback on the latest release.  It has become quickly apparent that although much has been added to the jet, it still isn't quite ready for prime time yet.  There are still many things to fix and tweak.  Because of that, I'm going to re-title this 18.4 as a "Prototype" or "Test" version for those to check out and test and re-name the 18.3 as the latest stable release until I get the 18.4 smoothened out.  Thanks again everyone for the support and understanding.

-31 AUG 2018: Hey everyone.  I know it's been a while and a little quiet, but I assure you steady progress has been made on the jet.  This update comes with a fair amount of fixes for noted problems as well as a few new features, in particular the TACPACKers.  A LOT of coding rework was done on this version, so I have to warn you that there may be a few new bugs in this version compared to older ones.  But this version is definitely a push forward none-the-less.

New RADAR & Forward Looking InfraRed (FLIR) Display

New Electronic Warfare (EW) & RADAR Warning Receiver (RWR) Displays

New Helmet Mounted Display (HMD)

New features include:

1. RADIOS:  A lot of work has been done on revamping both the COM and NAV radios to have better functionality.  The new radios allow both VORTAC Freqs as well as TACAN channels to be entered and tuned.  ILS needles and CRS arrows have been fixed as well.  This includes both land and carrier ops.
***With the new radios, please note that you will have to first turn on the NAV & ILS radios before you can set frequencies.  This is done by using the ON/OFF button located at the bottom of the UFC, opposite of the AP button.  The ON/OFF status of the radio is indicated in the scratchpad as "ON" for on and "OF" for off.***

2. AUTOPILOT:  Autopilot functionality has been adjusted.  Still working on it though...

3. TACPACK Stores Management System (SMS) (TACPACK ONLY):  Both the SMS display and Fire control system has been redone to closer match the real deal and for smoother and more consistent operation.  User now has the option to select between HI and LO gun rate via DDI display.  Framework has been set up for future weapon deployment options and details.

4. DDI Menu Layout:  New DDI Menu hierarchy has been implemented.  Displays are now divided into two primary menu pages, the "TAC" page that display all tactical related displays, and the "SUPT" for support related displays.  The user can switch between TAC and SUPT menus by first pressing MENU at the bottom center of the DDI and then pressing MENU again to switch from one to another.  Please not that "MENU" lettering changes to local zulu time (minutes and seconds) once airborne.  Menu functionality however, still remains the same.

5. RADAR WARNING RECEIVER (RWR) (FSX TACPACK ONLY): New RADAR Warning Receiver (RWR) has been implemented on the circular scope just below the right DDI. As most of you know, it's purpose is to warn of incoming threats by displaying icons on the display based on the azimuth of the threat and priority, which determines which ring in which the threat is displayed.  Although functional, this new feature is still being tweaked.

6. Electronic Warfare (EW) (FSX TACPACK ONLY): Also new and using the same logic as the RWR, is the new Electronic Warfare (EW) Page which shows same info as RWR but on DDI along with Chaff/Flare status and option to arm Jammer.  The EW page can be selected by selecting the "EW" option on the TAC menu.

7. Forward Looking Infra Red (FLIR) Display: New (and basic) Forward Looking Infrared (FLIR) capability added to the jet. Please note that it is in its infant stages of development currently, and has the following restrictions:
-The FLIR display only shows on the Right DDI due to coding limitations from VRS.
-Both the ASQ-228 must be selected from the Payload Manager (Shift + 7) and the FLIR switches much be on for the display to be shown.  The switches are located on the right, rear panel (where your right hip would be).  
-Basic functionality has been built into the display such as contrast, brightness, zoom and polarization.  These options are displayed on the right DDI within the FLIR Display.
-Currently, the FLIR camera is set to automatically point to whatever ground contact you have selected on your RADAR through the use of the "TUP" and "TDN" options.  There is no option to independently move or slew the camera as of this time.

8. Helmet Mounted Display (HMD) (FSX TACPACK ONLY): Just as new for the jet is again, a very basic Helmet Mounted Display  As of now, it just displays basic HUD info.  The HMD can be activated and deactivated by clicking on the small knob titled "HMD" located just above the stripped "SPIN RCVY" switch, which can be found on the right side of the right DDI.

9. FUEL SYSTEM:  New fuel system actually takes into account whether or not external fuel tanks are hung on the jet and adds/subtracts fuel accordingly

10. TMAP RADAR (TACPACK ONLY): New TMAP Radar installed on the aircraft that brings better capability for TACPACK operations.  Working modes include a basic Air to Air Mode, as well as MAP, GMT and SEA Air to Ground Modes.  Please note the following with this new RADAR:
-Tracks a maximum of 8 targets at a time, depending on which mode is selected.  RWS (AA), MAP (AG), GMT (AG) and SEA (AG) modes all track up to 8 contacts simultaneously.  TWS (AA) tracks up to 4 contacts at once, while ST (AA) tracks only one.
-Contacts shown can be cycled through by pressing the TUP and TDN options located on the right side of the display.  Once selected, a bracket will appear around the contact, as well as the contacts altitude (in thousands of feet), airspeed (in mach) and a tail indicating the heading in which the contact is headed.

11. FCS RESET BUTTON:  The FCS Reset button on the left panel is now functional.  Once pressed, all of the Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) Devices that controls the aircraft's Flight Control System (FCS) are momentarily blanked and reset.  This is useful for uncommanded pitch, roll or yaw oscillations encountered while in flight where the FCS starts to go wonky.

12. TEXTURES:  Updated cockpit and canopy textures.  Thanks Kea and Ed!

Well those are the biggies.  Bunch of other smaller fixes and adds.  Big thanks goes to Corrado, Dino Cattaneo, Pat (PhantomTweak), Kea and Ed for all the updates, textures, help and testing!

As usual, I'm always open for comments, discoveries, recommendations and feedback.  I've provided an autoinstaller this time.  Should be easier and more straightforward to install.

And......and....as usual.....don't ask about the Delta (two-seater) version.

2018 FSX BLUE ANGELS F/A-18C HORNET

LATEST FSX VERSION DOWNLOAD LINK:
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 18.3 link (as of 5 MAY 2018): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wpfjdjyaaLfuDdxOMk7VLdVrG0koa2jM

LATEST P3Dv4 VERSION DOWNLOAD LINK:
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 18.3 link (as of 5 MAY 2018):   https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cxJ3_NdSO-dLhFN9Y2jVc3XxMuEyaF54

PREVIOUS FSX VERSION DOWNLOAD LINKS:
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 17.31 link (as of 5 SEP 2017): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZemdlb0ZiYTg4aUk/view?usp=drivesdk

PREVIOUS P3Dv4 VERSION DOWNLOAD LINKS:
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 18.2 link (as of 4 APR 2018): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cKFVqr_yBHzlTwlKEvq5Z2hEmanTk99t
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 18.1 link (as of 4 MAR 2018): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SmfnVagsNYlpHVgjqjDq1VdleK4n_-SD

LATEST PROTOTYPE/TEST VERSION DOWNLOAD LINK:
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 18.4 (FSX) link (as of 31 AUGUST 2018): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Qn3y2uldzgZrPJbth2uW9S5GlgrBiykh
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 18.4 (P3Dv4)link (as of 31 AUGUST 2018): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FF6uavVqDkpSPRkWk9DjYM--dhF_LkyO

A BUNCH OF CHANGES since the 16.1 release!  Changes include, but certainly not limited to:

1. FCS & Flight Characteristics: Thanks goes out to ORION and ROY HOLMES for their help here!

--UA & PA Mode Blending: In the previous model, there was a notching or jerking that would occur when flight control logic was transitioning from Powered Approach to Up and Away, or vice versa.  This has since been remedied thanks to ORION.  The system now smoothly transitions from one mode to the other.  If flaps and gear are lowered at approximately the same time, the system will automatically trim the jet to 8.1 once airspeed is within 30 KIAS of calculated landing speed.  Once automatically set to 8.1, the pilot is free to reset the trim as he/she sees fit.  If gear and flaps are lowered at different times, the autotrim to 8.1 will not occur and the pilot is free to set the trim as he/she sees fit.  AUTO FLAP operation has been tweaked to better account for variances in the aircraft's speed.

--Available for P3Dv4: In addition to the aforementioned, ORION has recompiled the FCS.dll to work for P3Dv4 as well!  Unfortunately, avionics still do not work.  Recoding avionics in currently in progress...

--Engine Performance Update: Working with ROY HOLMES, we were able to more accurately reflect engine performance at both low altitude (sea level) and at high altitude (36,000 ft)

2. 3D MODEL: Because of the great work and contributions of CORRADO and KEA, we have made some long awaited and significant strides in the project regarding both the 3D model of the jet and TACPACK integration.  Because of their work, we were able to accomplish the following...

--Payload Configurator: A payload configurator is now available for the jet!  Although it works jets (except for the Blue Angel variants) with or without TACPACK, you will need TACPACK in order to release the missiles, bombs or rockets.  The configurator is accessible by pressing Shift+7.  You will need to click the "GUNS ONLY" option in order to show the pylons, then you can simply click on which stores you want on the jet.  Although stores weight hasn't been adjusted for non TACPACKed aircraft, drag is.  You should notice that more power is required to fly equivalent airspeeds depending on what you have attached to the jet.

--Weapons Viewable From Inside Cockpit: In addition to seeing ordnance from the exterior, you can now see the ordnance from inside the cockpit as well!

--Viewable In Multiplayer: Tail hook, Wing fold and Refueling Probe from other FSXBA F/A-18C Hornets are all now visible in multiplayer.

--Blue Angels Gloss Textures: High gloss textures have been implemented on the Blue Angels variants of the jet thanks to CORRADO.

3. AVIONICS: We are currently starting the lengthy and painful process of transitioning the avionics of the aircraft from those used on the Acceleration F/A-18.  This is mainly due to the incompatibility of the existing avionics with newer versions of P3D and Flight Sim World and the increasing functionality of the jet that needs to be integrated into the jet's avionics.

--SMS Page: A new SMS page has been upgraded, so that players can now see what stores they have loaded on the aircraft, in addition to having the ability to select and arm the ordnance that they would like to employ for those who have TACPACK installed.  This now page is available by pressing the "MENU" button at the bottom of the Left or Right DDI, then pressing the button next to "SMS".

--FCS Page: A new SMS page has also been added as well.  It reflects the basic FCS readouts for the flight control surfaces.  It can be accessed by pressing the "MENU" button and then pressing the bottom button on the right column of buttons on the left or right DDI (FCS option is not labeled on MENU page).

--ENG RPM Readout: Engine MIL and Afterburner RPM has been adjusted to better reflect throughout altitude envelope.

4. GAUGES: Updated a few gauges...

--Carrier Landing & Refueling Gauges: Now automatically pop up when either the hook is lowered or the probe is extended respectively.  The Carrier Landing Gauge has been reorganized to better work and display in conjunction with other gauges.

--FCS Gauges: The two FCS gauges that were originally assigned to Shift+7 and Shift+9 have been consolidated and assigned to Shift+9.

--Audio Warnings:  Thanks to RAZOR, new audio warnings have been added such as "Roll Left/Right" warnings which are transmitted when the aircraft is at a low altitude with excessive bank, a radio chime has been added once the battery is turned on, and updated audio warning cycle has been included with is triggered by the "LIGHT TEST" switch on the right panel.

5.  TEXTURES:
--Thanks to the contributions of GROOM LAKE SIMULATIONS and a few others, we now have over 80 great textures for the jets!

6. OTHER:

--Functional Checklist: Thanks to HENRY from cNATRA who has included a new functional check list for the jet.

7.  STILL TO FIX: There are still a few things that we are working on that we know are messed up.  Those include:

-ANIMATIONS: Throughout our work on the 3D models some animations were lost such as the Throttle Cutoff animations.  Working to get those working again.

-AVIONICS IN P3Dv4: As mentioned earlier, many of the avionic displays are no longer functioning in the new, 64-bit FSX based simulators such as P3Dv4 and FSW.  We have started the process of updating the avionics so that they will eventually work on those platforms.  Currently no ETA on when they will be complete though.

-FIRE CONTROL: Although the fire control system does work for TACPACK, there are still some glitches here and there.  Still working to fix.

-ADDITIONAL FUEL WITH DROP TANKS:  Still working on being able to have additional fuel when adding drop tanks.

As usual, if you see anything, report it!  I'll be out of pocket for major changes for the next couple of months, but will get back to it once I'm able.
 Thanks!

Version 17.1.31 Addresses the following:
1.  Tailhook for Fleet Version:  Clicking on Tailhook in Virtual Cockpit of Fleet jet now functional.

2.  Tailhook/Probe Issue for Blue Angels Version:  Tailhook and Refueling Probe now work correctly in Blue Angels variant.  Wing fold still an issue.

3.  Updated Textures:  All textures have been updated to include air intake and pylon graphic details.

....and NO, I have NO updates or info on the Delta/Two-Seater version, so don't ask...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 09:31:15 pm by jimi08 »

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Orion

Re: FSXBA F/A-18C HORNET
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:24:37 am »
I'll update this post with any NOTAMs or FAQs regarding the FCS gauge too.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 08:02:17 am »
Still loving this latest version. It gets better and better. Still a few minor things need to be fixed, but other than that...

Jimi, hope you have a great PCS experience. It doesn't seem hardly a month ago you PCS'd to Hawaii! Enjoy your time in Italy. Lots of touristy kinda spots to see there. History up the yin-yang...
Hope you family does well, too.
Looking forward to seeing you back hard at work on this incredible bird. No rest for the weary, is there?

Orion: Good to hear from you. Seems like it's been a while. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Pat☺

ctec1

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 01:37:17 pm »
Gents,

-I've decided to start a new thread so I can have a little more control over posting and updating the tread.  All updates for the project will be posted here.  Please post inputs and feedback here as well.  Thanks.

LATEST NEWS:
-One of the more enjoyable (or painful) aspects of being active duty military, is that you have to PCS (Permanent Change of Station) from time to time.  I am currently in the process of moving from Hawaii to Italy, and my household goods (gaming/coding computer included) isn't scheduled to make it to Italy until mid-December.  That being said, expect slow progress on the jet as I will not be able to make many changes, updates or fixes to the project until then.

-P3Dv4 Version still in progress.

-Don't ask about the Delta (two-seater) version.

2017 FSX BLUE ANGELS F/A-18C HORNET

LATEST VERSION DOWNLOAD LINK:
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet ver. 17.31 link (as of 5 SEP 2017): https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3So3WwTLPRZcHVKUVczdm53Z1k

Just a heads up on that link for the new version posted above. The link above points to a manual install not the auto installer. Not sure if Jimi intended to link to the manual install or auto installer. Just FYI.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:51:36 pm »
Just a heads up on that link for the new version posted above. The link above points to a manual install not the auto installer. Not sure if Jimi intended to link to the manual install or auto installer. Just FYI.

Should be fixed now.  Thanks for the heads up.

Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 05:03:35 pm »
Still loving this latest version. It gets better and better. Still a few minor things need to be fixed, but other than that...

Jimi, hope you have a great PCS experience. It doesn't seem hardly a month ago you PCS'd to Hawaii! Enjoy your time in Italy. Lots of touristy kinda spots to see there. History up the yin-yang...
Hope you family does well, too.
Looking forward to seeing you back hard at work on this incredible bird. No rest for the weary, is there?

Orion: Good to hear from you. Seems like it's been a while. Hope you and yours are doing well.

Pat☺

Thanks for the good words Pat!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

Victory103

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 02:16:49 am »
Wow, tough duty going from Hawaii to Italy, guess I was in the wrong rate/branch or air wing guys just don't have it as good as we thought! Looking forward to more Tacpack testing in the future with this model.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

PhantomTweak

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 07:39:28 am »
Thanks for the good words Pat!
My pleasure!

Wow, tough duty going from Hawaii to Italy, guess I was in the wrong rate/branch or air wing guys just don't have it as good as we thought! Looking forward to more Tacpack testing in the future with this model.
I don't want to hear about it! I was stuck in YUMA, a place I despise, for 7 of my 10 years. And I was on det for 6 months of my last year, which was in beautiful Beaufort by the Sea. My first 2 were in Millington, TN, going to school. And a little time in El Toro, CA, waiting for PCS assignment.
Then I went back to Yuma, after I got out. For another 20 years...
Hated every minute, but I had property by then, and a family to raise, so I stuck it out.
So yeah, I understand "Wrong rate or airwing"!

Jimi's lucky. He's going to see some beautiful places, and already has. My father was a UAL pilot, and we did a lot of traveling as I was growing up. More than the rest of my life :D

Have fun all!
Back to the wonderful aircraft :)
Pat☺

Razgriz

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 10:26:44 am »
Some of the cockpit sounds don't work for me in P3Dv4, for example the high AoA sound, AoA.wav.  I definitely had at least some more sounds working in P3Dv3 and years ago in FSX.  Also I'm getting a lot of tail wagging with the rudder with this current version (17.1.31).  Regardless, great work on this jet!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 02:59:56 pm by Razgriz »

Jax

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 08:23:50 am »
Awesome, Can't wait to test this out. Thanks.... ;D
vRCAF
No.416/433 TFS

oldpop

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 04:30:27 pm »
Just install newest ver of FA18C in P3DV4. Attempted to follow all the "fixes" for the 64 bit system but still no DDI's. Is that normal for this stage of development?

Razgriz

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 09:33:03 am »
Just install newest ver of FA18C in P3DV4. Attempted to follow all the "fixes" for the 64 bit system but still no DDI's. Is that normal for this stage of development?

Believe so for now

armenius

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2017, 05:51:09 am »
Is there a way for me to change the blackout effect, or raise the G-limit where it occurs in the cfg? Doing a loop at 5 G and everything goes black, stays like that uncomfortably long. Is this supposed to be realistic?

Would also like to change the in-cockpit turbine sound or lack of, there is no change of pitch with throttle changes. Sounds great outside the aircraft.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 10:57:33 pm »
As to whether you can alter the in-built G effect: No, there's no way I ever heard about to change the effect of the values there-of.

As to the cockpit turbine sound: Yes you can. I believe you need to either edit the turbine's .wav file, or the sound.cfg file in the Plane's Sound folder. I'll check up on that some more and let you know more as soon as I can, ok? I'm no sounds expert, but heck, can't hurt to learn new stuff :D

Pat☺

Late Edit: Ok, I figured it out. There are two things you can do. Whichever you prefer. The easy, simple thing to do is to go to Settings>Sound> Cockpit, and run the slider up a ways. See what effect that has. If it's enough, then you're good to go. If not, well, ....
Second way you can do it is to get into the sound.cfg and change some settings. If you want to try that, I can show you what needs to be done, but I suggest the slider method first. MUCH easier and simpler.
Pat☺
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:24:42 am by PhantomTweak »

armenius

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 05:10:36 am »
Turning up the sound isn't the issue. It sounds like a monotone APU in the cockpit, not like I'm strapped onto 2 F404's. I would like to hear the change in engine tone and pitch when modulating the throttles. View outside the aircraft sounds great, it would just have to be less volume in the cockpit. I would like to change the sound.cfg, just can't tell which section or what values to change.

Back to the G effect issue. What is going on here? Is no one else perplexed by this? Has the F-18 been downgraded to a 5G limit, or is this some Blue Angels customized setting because they don't wear G-suits. I black out at the top of my loop, stays that way for 10 seconds until the jet completes the loop and is heading back up the vertical. I've been reading about this F-18 for quite some time, with all the work done and experts contributing to the flight model. But this..its beyond words.. frankly.