Author Topic: FSX Takes a Very Long Time to Close  (Read 7125 times)

kmanning

FSX Takes a Very Long Time to Close
« on: June 28, 2017, 04:43:47 am »
Hi, virtuali

I don't know if this has been report, at least I haven't found any topic on it. I have the new Charlotte airport and if I'm at Charlotte and I close the simulator, it takes a full 2 and a half minutes for the simulator to close, and it only does this at Charlotte airport. Is there a reason for it to take so long for the simulator to close at this airport?

Ken.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX Takes a Very Long Time to Close
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 10:25:05 am »
Nobody has ever reported this, and I cannot see any difference closing the simulator at KCLT or any other airport.

The time it takes to close the simulator is entirely dependent on your settings, your free ram, what airplane you use, how many *different* AI you have, and for how much time the last session lasted, which all adds up to the memory that needs to be reclaimed. Even the other Windows apps you are running have an effect on this, depending how much fragmented the memory is.

Of course, as long the simulator closes correctly, you don't have to worry.

viperxbr

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:14:33 pm »
I have the same symptom but instead of closing cleanly, it CTD's after that amount of time.

There could be somewhat of a relation here...

Thanks!
Thanks,
Todd.

Sim PC: Intel i7 7820x OC 4.8GHz, XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling, Rampage VI APEX MB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC 11GB, 2xSamsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe, Samsung 840 SSD 1TB, Corsair 1200AX PS.

maxhades

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 05:44:32 pm »
Same here. Takes a long long time to close the sim and followed by a ntdll.dll error!

Win 7
FSX
ORBX/Vector/Chaseplane/AS16/mytraffic 6.5a

Cheers
Max
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:52:16 pm by maxhades »

kmanning

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 10:47:12 pm »
Nobody has ever reported this, and I cannot see any difference closing the simulator at KCLT or any other airport.

The time it takes to close the simulator is entirely dependent on your settings, your free ram, what airplane you use, how many *different* AI you have, and for how much time the last session lasted, which all adds up to the memory that needs to be reclaimed. Even the other Windows apps you are running have an effect on this, depending how much fragmented the memory is.

Of course, as long the simulator closes correctly, you don't have to worry.

You probably have a better computer than I do. But on mine, if I'm at Charlotte and I click the Exit to close the program, it goes to the desktop and it takes every bit of 2 and a half minutes for it to completely close, or before I can re-open it. It only does that at KCLT and it does not do this at any other airport. I can even doubled clicked the FSX icon to start the program, and a message comes up and says, flight simulator X is still running, although I am on the desktop. Before the install of the new KCLT, my sim would close practically immediately.

I don't know if this has been reported but I also had another problem at Charlotte. While pushing back using the GSX, I was starting the engines on the PMDG 737-800. I switched to the VC from the 2D panel so that I can move the fuel switches to the run position. When I switched back to the 2D panel, and I can't remember if I switched from the wing view to the cockpit panel, but it seems that I may have, the airplane acted as if it dropped a few feet and I saw a cloud of smoke on the right side. I thought the sim was going to crash to the desktop, and 2 times already while making a flight or when arriving, I get these error messages and the simulator has to close. It burns me up when it does that after wasting all this time. I have had more of these since the install of these sceneries, but it usually happens when switching views or something. When I got ready to taxi and added power to get the plane rolling, the plane would not move at all, even at full power. The wheels of the plane would just spin but no movement of the aircraft. I had to start all over again. Just wanted to report this and see if others have had this issue and if it can be corrected. The sim will close completely at this airport but I don't want to wait 2 and a half minutes if there's something that can be done to fix it.

Ken.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 10:51:40 pm by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 10:26:34 am »
Have you raised the "Anti pop-up" slider in the Addon Manager ?

While this will surely improve smoothness, it will require way more memory so, if you are already close to exhaustion, because your settings are too high, or you are using a memory-hungry airplane, or you use too many AI, or a combination of all these things, on a 32 bit sim, you will likely end up your memory. An ntdll.dll error can (and it usually is) be a too few memory error.

As I've said, the more you are close to memory exhaustion, the more your memory is fragmented, the more it takes to close the sim. Of course, all of this is only relevant to the 32 bit simulators. Under P3D V4, memory problems no longer exists.

Some ways to reduce memory usage in FSX:

- Enabled DirectX 10

- Use the Steam version

- Reduce the Scenery Radius and the Autogen

- At KCLT, disable the 3d cars on parkings using the CTRL+F12 menu for KCLT.

- Set the Addon Manager Anti-popup to low values, like 1 or 2

maxhades

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:24:30 pm »
I test it without AI and with a Default plane. Normal Autogen. I have a lot VAS hungry airports. But this one is completly diffrent to all others when it comes to close the sim. It needs a long long long time and ended up with a ntdll.dll. Never ever had this before. There is something wrong here.

Cheers
Max

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 09:23:16 am »
It needs a long long long time and ended up with a ntdll.dll. Never ever had this before. There is something wrong here.

You mean: something wrong on you system because, as I've said, I cannot see any difference compared to other airports, it takes the same amount of time to close, and surely doesn't crash.

Do you see ANY difference if you do this ?

- At KCLT, disable the 3d cars on parkings using the CTRL+F12 menu for KCLT.

maxhades

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:09:00 pm »
Sorry the tips doesn't help!

Yes it could be my system...sure. I hear that now for 15 years from different developers. At the end at 90% it was not the users system. Sad but true.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 08:10:40 am »
Yes it could be my system...sure. I hear that now for 15 years from different developers. At the end at 90% it was not the users system. Sad but true.

I had so many Teamviewer sessions over the years with users having what they seemed to be unsolvable problems, which were all totally convinced it "wasn't their system". Out of hundreds of sessions, it probably happened once or twice that we found something in the software that needed a fix, which of course was made immediately. Whenever I assist someone over TM, I always come across with extremely messed up installations, with dozen of entirely useless or outdated addons, that it's usually enough to clean the cruft, that everything automatically starts to work again, without touching any of our installs, of course.

So no, in my experience, 99% of the times IT IS the user system.

maxhades

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 12:01:49 pm »
Teamviever is a good idea. I do that with a developer few days ago. At the end it was not my fault. I am ready for teamviewer...anytime!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 07:29:06 pm »
Teamviever is a good idea. I do that with a developer few days ago. At the end it was not my fault.

I obviously was reporting MY own experience with OUR software. And nowhere I said it was the "user" fault. It's always invariably another addon, or another non-flight sim related software, in the vast majority of the cases.

PM me to arrange the TM session.

maxhades

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 09:11:31 pm »
Thx! I will pm you next days😀

pgde

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 05:46:57 pm »
Umberto: Does the anti-popup option work in P3D v4? And is there a user's manual for this (if so, I am having a senior moment).

Thanks!

P.
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, Blk Ed MB; Intel I7-4790K CPU (@4.5 Ghz); Deepcool 240 AIO Cooler; 16 Gb G.Skill RAM (F3-2400); Win10 Pro (P3D V5.3); 2 Samsung 1Tb SSDs;Toshiba 3Tb hard drive; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2017, 11:20:31 am »
Umberto: Does the anti-popup option work in P3D v4? And is there a user's manual for this (if so, I am having a senior moment).

Yes, it works, meaning we set it to 30 ( max value ) by default in V4, so it doesn't basically do any memory management, resulting in the best smoothness. But you are still allowed to change it, and reduce it, if you prefer a bit better frame rate.