Author Topic: Couatl/Addon Manager tried to add FB's new KMSP...  (Read 5791 times)

viperxbr

Couatl/Addon Manager tried to add FB's new KMSP...
« on: June 16, 2017, 03:30:03 am »
Greetings,

Just bought and installed Flightbeam's new KMSP. After testing I decided to install GSX, which I just bought, and it seems Couatl/Addon Manager tried to add/move KMSP to another directory. I'm assuming they are moving away from your Couatl/Addon Manager and have developed their own for this one.

I've posted this same post in their forum as well. 

Thanks,
Todd.
Thanks,
Todd.

Sim PC: Intel i7 7820x OC 4.8GHz, XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling, Rampage VI APEX MB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC 11GB, 2xSamsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe, Samsung 840 SSD 1TB, Corsair 1200AX PS.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl/Addon Manager tried to add FB's new KMSP...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:37:56 am »
Neither Couatl or the Addon Manager move anything.

Our updated installers will move an existing installation of any FSDT/Flightbeam sceneries to the new Addon Manager folder but, they move only sceneries which were always handled with our Addon Manager so, in case of Flightbeam KMSP, this is not included in the list of known sceneries that will be moved.

And, I checked the installer code, and it doesn't clean up the Flightbeam folder (while it DOES clean up the Fsdreamteam folder), for the *precise* reason that we might not known what future sceneries Flightbeam might release so, we remove the old Fsdreamteam folder from inside the sim, but NOT the Flightbeam folder.

viperxbr

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 02:05:33 pm »
I stand corrected, it did not move anything.  What it does do is change the path in the scenery config file for KMSP when I install a FSDT scenery.  It did it again after installing KCLT.
Thanks,
Todd.

Sim PC: Intel i7 7820x OC 4.8GHz, XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling, Rampage VI APEX MB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC 11GB, 2xSamsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe, Samsung 840 SSD 1TB, Corsair 1200AX PS.

Dimon

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 02:33:05 pm »
Confirming the issue.

PS. Really hate this new approach with FSDT Full Automation. Back-up files are ok, but they do not make my life easier. Please provide an selective options in your Live Updater.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 02:38:11 pm »
Ok, I understand why.  Could you please try this:

- Fix the scenery.cfg for KMSP manually to the correct folder (it's inside the main sim ?)

- Download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager and install

- Check if the area for KMSP is still unchanged

If you can confirm this works, we can reupload all the other installers, so it won't happen again to those that will download them from now on.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »
Really hate this new approach with FSDT Full Automation

The issue in this thread doesn't have anything to do with what you are referring to, which is the Live Update.

We are discussing a scenery migration issue, which is something done once and, NOTHING has changed compared to before: the sceneries must still be installed together, the only difference that, while *before* you were forced to install them together AND in the root of the sim, now you are FREE to install them everywhere, but they must still be together, which is obviously much better, and the migration is made for the precise reason they will still stay together, even in the new folder.

So, with "new approach with FSDT Full Automation", you are probably referring to the Live Update, which is a totally separate thing that doesn't have anything to do with the migration.

And of course, this is obviously the best and easier option for most users, that just want to be sure to have the latest version of everything, without wondering what has been changed, which is FAR better than the previous system, where you had:

- an update for the scenery scripts ("minor update")

- an different update of the Addon Manager ("major update")

- an update for the GSX vehicles to be downloaded separately

- updates for the sceneries themselves, that required either separate patches, or downloading the full installer of the scenery again.

I find hard to believe that anyone would prefer the previous system, compared to just clicking the Live Update icon on the desktop, and getting all the updates in one go.

Back-up files are ok, but they do not make my life easier. Please provide an selective options in your Live Updater.

Are you referring to the AFCAD file ? You surely won't like to have a list of thousands files, letting you to choose which one you want to update, and which one you don't...

And of course, this has already being taken care of, as discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,15922.msg114264.html#msg114264

It's a bit of a beta feature, so I wanted to get some feedback before making it a bit more official but yes, that option does EXACTLY what you are probably asking: protecting a folder from being updated.

But I still think having the AFCAD being backup is the best choice. For example, we just had TWO updates for KIAH *today*, in the scenery folder, one the GSX .INI, which fixed a problem with pushback preferences, and one the AFCAD itself, to fix a problem with flickering runways. So, if you had your way, and you always chose to not update the AFCAD, you would have missed the runway flickerking fix, and if you protected the whole folder from updating with the "DONTUPDATE" file method, you would have missed the new GSX .INI file, which fixed the pushback preferences.

So, regardless how much you "hate it", I still believe letting us update everything (making a backup of your AFCAD), is still the best option, but in the current version of the Live Update, with the DONTUPDATE file method discussed above, you surely have complete freedom to cut you off from updates...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:57:02 pm by virtuali »

Dimon

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 03:05:42 pm »
So, let me understand the routine.

If I want do preserve my current AFCAD/ADE file, I merely need to manually take it back from the back-up and return to the specific scenery folder after each LiveUpdate. Correct? While I', partially accept this method, I'd like to have a selective option to update the SPECIFIC scenery (not all of them) once the update has been made by FSDT. If you don't provide this option, I would have to manually restore AFCAD/ADE files in EACH of FSDT sceneries (and I have all of them) after every LiveUpdate.

PS. Also, my understanding that I still have an option not to use LiveUpdate Option at all, rather using individual installers, correct?

i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 03:17:48 pm »
If I want do preserve my current AFCAD/ADE file, I merely need to manually take it back from the back-up and return to the specific scenery folder after each LiveUpdate. Correct?

Exactly.

I'd like to have a selective option to update the SPECIFIC scenery (not all of them) once the update has been made by FSDT.

The option to do this is already there, but there isn't any user interface for it yet. You must run the Couatl_Updater.exe from the command line, for example:

Couatl_Updater /product=KCLT will update only KCLT
Couatl_Updater /product=KIAH will update only GSX

PS. Also, my understanding that I still have an option not to use LiveUpdate Option at all, rather using individual installers, correct?

If you start Live Update yourself, from the Desktop icon, it will update everything. Same if you install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager.

If, instead, the Live Update is running as the final step of a product installer, it will update only the core Addon Manager files, and the files related to the product being installed so, GSX, for example, will only update the GSX files, while a fully scenery installer will only update itself.

Dimon

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 03:27:40 pm »
If I want do preserve my current AFCAD/ADE file, I merely need to manually take it back from the back-up and return to the specific scenery folder after each LiveUpdate. Correct?

The option to do this is already there, but there isn't any user interface for it yet. You must run the Couatl_Updater.exe from the command line, for example:

Couatl_Updater /product=KCLT will update only KCLT
Couatl_Updater /product=KIAH will update only GSX

Thanks for he clarification. Any ETA for this option to be implemented in the LiveUpdate's interface?

viperxbr

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 07:18:03 pm »
Ok, I understand why.  Could you please try this:

- Fix the scenery.cfg for KMSP manually to the correct folder (it's inside the main sim ?)

If you can confirm this works, we can reupload all the other installers, so it won't happen again to those that will download them from now on.

Manually fixing the path in the scenery config file worked.  Currently at work then off to the cottage.  I'll try the rest when I get back on Sunday.  Hopefully someone else can confirm for you before then.

Thanks!
Thanks,
Todd.

viperxbr

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 04:38:29 am »

Just completed the above tasks and I can confirm that KMSP was not changed this time.

Thanks!
Thanks,
Todd.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 01:13:21 pm »
Just completed the above tasks and I can confirm that KMSP was not changed this time.

Ok, we updated all installers now, and sent Flightbeam updated installers for their previous sceneries, so this won't happen again.

Dimon

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 01:14:05 pm »

Ok, we updated all installers now, and sent Flightbeam updated installers for their previous sceneries, so this won't happen again.

Thank you!