Author Topic: FSDT all on C: drive! How to change?  (Read 6477 times)

looping

FSDT all on C: drive! How to change?
« on: June 09, 2017, 06:01:10 am »
Hi,

I just wanted to update KLAS and learned that this is possible by a new installer.
After starting the new setup_addonmanagerX.exe downloaded 7.6.17, without asking any questions, nor offering any alternative install path nor giving any information what is going to happen, all FSDT and Flightbeam sceneries were moved to my C:\Programme(X86) drive.

I extremely hate this sort of imposing procedures and don't want to have any FSX sceneries on my relatively small C: drive, but all seems to work.

My questions:
1. Can I move the entire Addon Manager folder from the C drive back to my FSX on E drive, re-modifying the scenery.cfg accordingly?
2. Wich folders in Simobjects\Misc. can I remove without harming the sceneries (I have no GSX installed)
3. What is best procedure to have it all to my installation of my choice?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards
Ernst

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
Re: FSDT all on C: drive! How to change?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 07:31:09 am »
The new installers would move the Add-on Manager and associated sceneries by FSDreamteam and Flightbeam into a folder of your choosing. If you weren't paying attention and hit next, that would have been the default location.
Captain Kevin

looping

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:09:07 am »
Thanks Captain Kevin!
But now, how to continue best to get those folders into e.g. FSX?
Just start  setup_addonmanagerX.exe  anew and choosing the new directory?
Thanks for further help and hints.
Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 09:10:14 am »
I extremely hate this sort of imposing procedures and don't want to have any FSX sceneries on my relatively small C: drive, but all seems to work.

??? I think you really got it backwards:

- The OLD installers forced you to install in the root of the sim, with no choice.

- The NEW installers are finally allowing you to freely choose ANY folder or ANY drive.

So, instead of saying "I extremely hate this sort of imposing procedures", I would expect a "thank you for finally allowing me to freely select the destination folder"

The installer is only SUGGESTING a default folder that, like any other Windows program out there, is under C:\Program Files, but that's just a suggested default, nobody is forcing you to accept it.

Or course, having the freedom to select a folder, also means you might not pay attention to it, make a mistake, change your mind, etc. If you realized you made such a mistake, the correct procedure to "move" the installation of several products is as follows:

- Uninstall everything

- As the last stage of uninstalling, reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?". This will clear up your initial choice, allowing to select the folder freely again, on the next install.

But now, how to continue best to get those folders into e.g. FSX?

Now that you can choose the destination folder freely, selecting the FSX root as a destination might not be the best choice. Just choose any folder, on any drive, that has enough space for everything. The FSX location is totally irrelevant now.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 09:12:51 am by virtuali »

looping

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:10:23 am »
Hi Umberto,

Thanks for your reply and instructions.
I usually am very cautious when installing anything but I obviously missed something here :-[
I am sorry when I upset you and confirm to see a real advancement with the new installer.

How to uninstall everything precisely?
By de-activating in the Addon Manager panel?
By really uninstalling all related files by the Windows programs uninstaller?

Thank you in advance for your detailed advises!

Best regards
Ernst

por930

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 07:57:59 am »
Umberto, On this same thought...I am in the process of rebuilding a new PC, and noticed that when the addon manager drive choice came up, and in my case I selected E:. I notice though, with the load of CYVR only at this stage, that there is some 565 MB in the E:\ Addon Manager and a further 155MB of data has appeared in C:\ProgramData\Virtuali. Will this MB addition to my C: drive be the case every time I load a scenery?

My C: drive is a small 250GB SSD, as it just holds the OS and its supporting programs. My Flightsim SSD Drive is 1TB, with a further 2TB HDD for overflow and general. Maybe I need a larger OS drive?   
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 03:19:13 pm »
a further 155MB of data has appeared in C:\ProgramData\Virtuali. Will this MB addition to my C: drive be the case every time I load a scenery?

It's just a special case of CYVR, KMEM, KJFK and KIAH, because these sceneries require to be patched at runtime, to adjust depending if the sim is P3D or FSX.

We plan to abandon this system because, with the new installer that can be installed anywhere, we don't risk any write permission issues trying to patch files that were installed in the sim, which was the reason to have these files installed in C:\ProgramData in the first place.

por930

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 03:47:09 pm »
Thanks Umberto,

Another small issue is when you load sceneries and GSX now, it places a FSDT Live Update, FSDT Installation, shortcut on the desktop every time. I save one in the FSDT file and kill the rest. Maybe your future coding can see we have more than one instance of FSDT sceneries and either not place any more or place these shortcuts in the sceneries folder. Until P3Dv4 get more aircraft converted, I have FSX along side P3Dv4, making for a few of your shortcuts.
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 11:00:11 am »
I save one in the FSDT file and kill the rest. Maybe your future coding can see we have more than one instance of FSDT sceneries and either not place any more or place these shortcuts in the sceneries folder.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, especially with "kill the rest". I only see a SINGLE FSDT Live Update icon on the Desktop, and nobody else has reported about multiple copies of it when running several installers.

looping

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 04:20:12 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Please let me have your instructions on your advice to uninstall everything on C: drive,
as requested above.

I don't know exactly how to uninstall best.

Thank you!

Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 12:18:25 am »
I don't know exactly how to uninstall best.

Uninstall everything from the Windows Control Panel, like any other Windows program out there. Reply "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" at least once, so it will clear up your original choice, allowing to select a new folder on the next reinstall.

But don't reinstall, until you have removed everything FSDT/Flightbeam.

por930

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:34 am »
I save one in the FSDT file and kill the rest. Maybe your future coding can see we have more than one instance of FSDT sceneries and either not place any more or place these shortcuts in the sceneries folder.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, especially with "kill the rest". I only see a SINGLE FSDT Live Update icon on the Desktop, and nobody else has reported about multiple copies of it when running several installers.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe the issue was a bran new machine and the FSDT scenery software was the very first load after P3Dv4, because I have since loaded 6 more of your sceneries and the problem of multiple desktop shortcuts stopped.
Geoff

looping

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2017, 10:17:20 pm »
Hi Umberto,

As per your above instructions I have uninstalled all FSDT and FB sceneries including Addon Managers.
New installation was in FSX\fsdreamteam\OhareX  (no install option).
Reinstall with SN in the FSX Addon Manager menu (there are 2 Addon Managers present) resulted in nothing, scenery remains deactivated.
FSDT Live Update is just starting and immediately closing without any effect.

What to do next for reactivation of the uninstalled sceneries?

Thanks for your help!

Ernst

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 12:18:30 pm »
ddon Managers.New installation was in FSX\fsdreamteam\OhareX  (no install option).

That's because you missed this very important step of my previous instructions:

Uninstall everything from the Windows Control Panel, like any other Windows program out there. Reply "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" at least once, so it will clear up your original choice, allowing to select a new folder on the next reinstall.

Uninstall everything, don't forget to reply to this question at least once this time, and then reinstall everything. Now that you have the freedom to install everywhere, installing inside the root of the sim is probably the worse choice.