Author Topic: Consistant Airport Gate Labeling  (Read 2050 times)

Bingo41

Consistant Airport Gate Labeling
« on: April 29, 2018, 12:34:11 am »
Hi All,

I have almost all your airports, and I notice there is inconsistency in labeling the gates.

Examples A -  the following airports have the label “GA” used in what appears to be “Airline Gates” at the following airports:
KCLT, KORD, KFLL, KIAH, KJFK, KLAX, KSDF, and KMEM

Examples B – the following airports appear to have gate/ramp labels that match the expected A/C type, these are OK.
KDFW, All the Hawaiian Airports, KLAS.

I’m using an 3rd party ATC package where I can select a destination airport gate, and it will draw lines on the airport structure “moving map” display to aid in guiding my aircraft to the proper location. Of course, all this airport data in P3D V4 gets translated into a data base using Peter Dowson’s makerunways.exe, prior to being made available to ATC.

It would be more helpful if there were a consistent labeling scheme at each of your airports in Examples A, so I don’t confuse an Airline Parking space with a General Aviation slot?

Bill Clark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Consistant Airport Gate Labeling
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 02:19:21 pm »
This has been discussed so many times on the forum and no, it's not an "inconsistency" or a bug.

Labeling the gates that way, is done intentionally to prevent the sim from generating its own ground vehicles, which might conflict with both our custom ones, and with other scenery objects on ground. Other scenery developers use the same method, sometimes with different types, like flagging everything as military cargo, for example.

Of course, this wouldn't be a problem since we assume you have GSX (which is free to use at our airports) and, by using the GSX menu to position the airplane (using the "Warp me there" function), you can have a better and more realistic description of the gates compared to the one offered by the sim: grouped by terminal and with an indication if the parking is suited to your airplane, if it's taken by an AI and in how much time it will be free again so, using GSX, you have no reason to rely on the default "Go To Airport" menu.