Author Topic: KMEM Performance Update  (Read 25751 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
KMEM Performance Update
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:07:58 pm »
We released a major update for KMEM scenery, which focuses on performances and it also improves the visual quality of many textures, especially on ground. By doing a lot of careful optimization when possible, and redoing a lot of textures, we were able to obtain significant VAS saving, which will be helpful if using the scenery together with many complex addons.

Some testing results, using the default A321 with 0 traffic, sitting on the apron at KMEM:

Old version:

FSX SP2 with DirectX 9 1.7 GB
FSX SP2 with DirectX 10 1.3 GB
P3D V3.4 1.6 GB

New version:

FSX SP2 with DirectX 9 1.5 GB
FSX SP2 with DirectX 10 1.1 GB
P3D V3.4 1.5 GB

So, it's usually a 150-200 MB VAS saving over the previous version. Which hasn't been obtained by compromising the overall visual quality. In fact, most of the ground textures has been remade, so you'll find this version will look even better, in addition to be more optimized.

To install the new version, download the FULL KMEM installer. No need to uninstall the old version: the installer will know what to do and will remove files not needed anymore.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:27:16 pm by virtuali »

jscarano

Re: KMEM Performance Update
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »
Thanks

Gonzilein1970

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:22:43 pm »
Hi, it´s good to read that mak a great Update about this Airport-maybe now you can use the Airport without Crashs.
But Why you did make Test with a Default Airplane (A321)-nobody use this Plane:(
And why you talk about the Update with around 200 MB with the Full KMEM Installer, if i can only find a Installer with more than 400MB to download??
Thanks a Lot for the Answer.

Michael

skyline223

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:28:51 pm »
I also hope this increases the stability of KMEM. After having numerous CTDs on both mine and my friend's rig, we both made the decision to uninstall it. May give this update a shot.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 10:00:55 pm »
Hi, it´s good to read that mak a great Update about this Airport-maybe now you can use the Airport without Crashs.

The airport never crashed. Your sim crashed, because you have exhausted memory with some other memory-hungry airplane so, adding a detailed airport surely won't "improve" the memory consumption.

That's the whole point of the update: trying to SAVE some memory that was mostly already consumed by other addons, so users won't assume the crash was caused by KMEM...

But Why you did make Test with a Default Airplane (A321)-nobody use this Plane

The airplane used doesn't make ANY difference. We wanted to show the difference between the PREVIOUS KMEM and the UPDATED KMEM, all other things being equal. It's not as if you use a different airplane, the difference between the previous and current KMEM would change in any way.

But of course, we post the figures with a default plane, so everybody will realize that, if they have something like 3.7 GB (almost sure it will crash) used at KMEM, the cause is NOT the airport.

And why you talk about the Update with around 200 MB with the Full KMEM Installer, if i can only find a Installer with more than 400MB to download??

You are now confusing the size of the installer, with the expected memory SAVINGS. I said you can expect the VAS taken to be about 150-200 MB LESS than it used to be, not the installer is 200MB.

Morten

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:08:25 am »
Umberto, you and your FSDreamteam simply have most dedicated, engaged  and profound support within the whole SIM community - nothing like this....indeed also in terms of patience! Amazing!!!!  :)

Cheers

viperxbr

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 01:14:35 am »
Greetings,

Thanks for the update!

It seems, though, this installer cannot find my installation of FSX-SE.  All of your other installers worked find except this one.  Even the original KMEM installer has no problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Todd.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:23:08 am by viperxbr »
Thanks,
Todd.

Sim PC: Intel i7 7820x OC 4.8GHz, XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 Cooling, Rampage VI APEX MB, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC 11GB, 2xSamsung EVO 970 1TB NVMe, Samsung 840 SSD 1TB, Corsair 1200AX PS.

ahuimanu

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 01:24:25 am »
The installer says "kmem_fsx_setup.exe."  Does this also contain the P3D version?

dam942

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 02:02:05 am »
After intalling it, I have to reinstall the P3D native update?

johnny_gitara

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 09:59:04 am »
Umberto,

First af all, thank you for the update. Hope you will do the same for the rest of the  newer airports. Performance is just amazing with fslabs A320, ngx, 777x, new 747. Amazing!
 What i noticed is the white runway markings are flickering when it the outside view. In cockpit view, i don't see flickering of the markings.

Thanks,

Ivan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 12:18:36 pm »
The installer says "kmem_fsx_setup.exe."  Does this also contain the P3D version?

All our installers supports all sims. That's why the download button says "Download FSX/P3D".

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 12:58:43 pm »
After intalling it, I have to reinstall the P3D native update?

No, it's part of the installer now:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14639.0.html

The update is now included in the latest KMEM Full installer.

sticky1202

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 01:47:35 pm »
Great work as always! One question. I tweeked the original AFCAD (if its still called that) for my own personal parking preferences. Can I just recompile my saved AFCAD, which is saved in ADE, or is there changes in the newly released AFCAD, that would make re-tweeking the whole new one necessary.

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 01:54:53 pm »
Can I just recompile my saved AFCAD, which is saved in ADE, or is there changes in the newly released AFCAD, that would make re-tweeking the whole new one necessary.

There has been a few changes in the AFCAD, some parking positions has been moved a bit, and a single Ils hold short marker has been made transparent in order not to mix up with the custom one (but this would affect only P3D).

Hnla

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 04:34:03 pm »
Nice update. Hopefully this will fix a lot of the underlying issues that plagued KMEM.