Author Topic: Ground shadows not visible  (Read 5016 times)

markjans

Ground shadows not visible
« on: June 06, 2016, 12:46:00 pm »
Hi Umberto,

First - thanks for this amazing scenery! The quality is unbelievable while also bringing some renewing design techniques. Awesome job!

The issue I'd like to bring up is that I'm not seeing any ground shadows at all (using P3D v3.2). I read in the manual that this MAY be the case on several parts of the airfield, but I'm not seeing any shadows at any place I move my airplane to:

http://puu.sh/piGcJ/d12665ec1c.jpg

http://puu.sh/piGeL/8c87fdbbbd.jpg

The only conflicting addon I can think of that I'm using is ORBX Vector. I've already disabled Airport Elevation Corrections (AEC) for KMEM but that didn't solve the issue.

Any ideas on this? Thanks for your help!

Mark
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:02:10 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Ground shadows not visible
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:02:47 pm »
Are you sure all the relevant options about which objects Cast/Receive shadows are enabled ?

markjans

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 02:58:51 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Yes that's all correctly set as the shadows work corectly at other airports.

I noticed that upon ENABLING the AEC in ORBX Vector, I am able to "descend" through the main terrain to a layer beneith. In that case I am seeing ground shadows casted on the layer beneath. Does that help to point you in the right direction?

Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 03:03:44 pm »
Does that help to point you in the right direction?

Only there might be something related to one of those OrbX addons. They seem to cause lots of issues with elevation. Do you have shadows over 3d buildings ?

markjans

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:21:25 pm »
Hi Umberto,

Please see these screenshots. I'm not sure whether the shadows for 3D buildings come from a texture or whether they are native P3D shadows.

http://puu.sh/pjci1/5e0a81978c.jpg

Here's when I ENABLE KMEM in Orbx Vector AEC:

http://puu.sh/pjc9K/a3872312c9.jpg

So the aircraft shadows are displayed on a layer beneath the main ground layer. I just enabled AEC to provide you with this screenshot, normally I have it turned off to prevent terrain issues.

Again, using P3D v3.2 with Avatar mode enabled.

Thanks for your help!

Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 12:17:09 am »
Please see these screenshots. I'm not sure whether the shadows for 3D buildings come from a texture or whether they are native P3D shadows.

No, they are coming from the textures, and are just the pre-baked Ambient Occlusions. It seems you are missing all realtime textures, which are handled by the sim itself. What happens on another airport ?

markjans

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 08:35:15 am »
The ground shadow issue has been sorted by enabling RECEIVE simobject shadows. At most other airports, CAST simobject shadows is sufficient for simobjects shadows to be casted on terrain. However at some airports it appears that RECEIVE simobject shadows should also be turned on.

In any case, the issue doesn't seem to be specificly related to KMEM.

Thanks for your help/time!

Mark

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 09:33:03 am »
However at some airports it appears that RECEIVE simobject shadows should also be turned on.

Yes, all sceneries that are using Simobjects to draw ground polygons will need that which, incidentally, it's one a way for not being affected by all the changes that are continuing to happen to backward compatibility with legacy FS8 code (and get better fps in exchange).