Author Topic: Texture layer 'peeling back'  (Read 11442 times)

martinlest

Texture layer 'peeling back'
« on: May 01, 2016, 09:14:02 pm »
I notice that the whole airport has a texture layer (at least tarmac, aprons, taxiways etc.) that adds a slightly darker veneer. Looks nice. However, there is always an obvious demarcation line which peels back as you taxi or pan, revealing a lighter texture below. Not so nice!

Am I missing a flatten or something? Or, how do I fix this?

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Texture layer 'peeling back'
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:09:47 am »
I guess that's an effect of mip-mapping, and there's nothing we or you can do to remove it entirely

martinlest

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:02:40 pm »
I think it's a flatten issue. It's not an uncommon problem and I have created a number of flatten bgl files in the past which immediately solve the problem. Not normally for payware scenery though..

I have never know mip-mapping to cause this kind of thing, I add (or remove mips) myself on occasion to improve appearance of detail from the air and help reduce shimmering (but as the creators of the scenery, you would probably know better than me about this in KORD).

I could just remove the bgl file responsible. Any idea which one it is that creates that overlay? (Otherwise I will have to find it by trial and error).

martinlest

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:36:34 pm »
Hi, just to say you were right and I was wrong, Virtuali! I am sure that this is due to mips now - the effect looked like a layer peeling back, but in fact the apparent difference in brightness is caused by the difference in mipping. The unmipped textures look darker as they don't sparkle and shimmer in the same way of course.

I have added mips to some of the textures and this has gone a long way to mitigating the problem.