Author Topic: AI Carriers.NET and P3D ... Windows 10 removes DirectX 9  (Read 8576 times)

Tregarth

AI Carriers.NET and P3D ... Windows 10 removes DirectX 9
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:18:53 pm »
I have very recently moved my Win 7 PC to Win 10. During the install I decided to save nothing so I could remove all the rubbish from my HD and start again.

When I started to install FSX I only saw a black install screen, when I came to run FSX I saw a black screen and a message saying FSX needs DirectX 9.  I have checked DxDiag and see I now have Dx 11.2.  I have downloaded Dx9 from MS but when I try to install it I am told it will only work with Windows XP to 8.1  I didn't think this would work, Windows only moves in 1 direction.  I saw a message about Error logs - see attached.

Thus I cannot run FSX.

I am thinking of going to P3D (I am a student) but would like to know if anyone is running AICarriers2 either the original (Java) or .NET versions?

Otherwise I will have to roll back to using Win 7

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thank you,

Tregarth
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:20:51 pm by Tregarth »

SpazSinbad

• RAN FAA: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
    • A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
Re: AI Carriers.NET and P3D ... Windows 10 removes DirectX 9
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:03:56 pm »
I do not have Windows 10 to verify the info in this video. Please go there to get the URLs for more advice below the text excerpted here below.

Windows 10 - Flight Simulator X Runs Great Without Mods
"Published on Oct 2, 2014 Old Guy Geek

Here's FSX running on Windows 10. It's not crippled, and it doesn't crash. And no other third party software 'patches' needed. You don't even need to use the Compatibility function.

NOTE: You HAVE to install SP2 or the Acceleration Pack to get the aircraft preview screen and full-screen mode working. Both enable DirectX10. If you are still getting a black screen, use Alt-Enter to go into windowed mode and then Alt-Enter to go back to full screen. It should display fine.

Here's some other useful information for FSX users...."

https://www.faaaa.asn.au/spazsinbad-a4g/
RAN FAA A4G NAS Nowra ɐıןɐɹʇsn∀ :-)

Tregarth

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 05:29:09 pm »
Thank you for the reply.  I was optimistic that installing the Acceleration disk would solve the problem as per the video.  As soon as I put it in the PC I saw a message saying I had to register FSX first.

I went back to FSX which still tells me it still needs Dx9.  One suggestion has been to install the last available version of Dx9.  I have found it and tried to install it but I have asked where to install Dx9 - I have no idea so that has not worked either.

Regards and thanks,

Tregarth

SpazSinbad

• A4G Skyhawk & Fixed Wing history scrapbook PDFs & videos RAN FAA + How to Deck Land Various Aircraft
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:17:32 am »
Because I do not have Windows 10 (one day I'll upgrade) I have this suggestion - which may not be practical or possible in your situation. Does Windows 10 have virtual machine technology? Windows 7 used to have it so users could install WinXP on a MS virtual machine. Perhaps this virtual machine approach is possible in Windows 10? It may not be practical with your setup? Dunno. Perhaps there is a free virtual machine download compatible with Win10 for you to try? So whatever your old Windows install (Windows 7) you can use that to setup that working with your FSX version in your Win10 virtual machine running Windows 7.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 02:19:39 am by SpazSinbad »

Charles246

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 06:36:55 am »
Thank you for the reply.  I was optimistic that installing the Acceleration disk would solve the problem as per the video.  As soon as I put it in the PC I saw a message saying I had to register FSX first.

I went back to FSX which still tells me it still needs Dx9.  One suggestion has been to install the last available version of Dx9.  I have found it and tried to install it but I have asked where to install Dx9 - I have no idea so that has not worked either.

Regards and thanks,

Tregarth

A few months ago I moved over to windows 10 and at the same time switched over to  FSX-SE.  I have not looked back since.   All my addons, PMDG, A2A, FS2crew, GSX etc  have been working perfectly. I have had practically no crashes and I do not spend so much time fiddling around  with FSX.cfg.   I was very skeptical purchasing FSX – SE,  especially since I need an Internet connection to make this work but I no longer have to wonder  when or why I suddenly find myself out of the simulation and  crashing to the desktop.  I have had all previous versions of flight simulator starting from the one on the Commodore 64 and I ended up being perfectly satisfied with an $8 purchase on a Steam sale.   I suggest you do the same if the fact that you need to be connected to Steam does not bother you.

Charles246

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 09:36:31 pm »

(Charles246) - FSX:SE can be started and run in offline mode.

Ok thanks.   I will check it out.   I am on Vatsim most of the time anyway so need to stay connected most times. 

SpazSinbad

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 08:08:22 am »
There are other Youtube videos about running FSX in Win10 so this is one of them.

FSX Boxed: Windows 10! How well does it work?