Author Topic: KJFK Review on avsim.com - Dispraise?  (Read 51464 times)

Kappa

• FSDreamTeam developer
Re: KJFK Review on avsim.com - Dispraise?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2008, 09:24:42 am »
I'm going to amend my review in regards to the aprons/tarmacs. I overlooked what I said there by saying "tarmacs horrible as well" in my review. As I said earlier, I love the aprons, so that will be changed. However, after messing with the settings according to your recommendations, I see only slight differences; not nearly enough improvement to change my mind about the taxiways.

I am building a new PC in a week or two, so I will certainly see what it looks like then, as well.

My questions is; and this is in no way a complaint, simply a curiosity: How have scenery creators such as FlyTampa been able to produce such incredibly high-quality ground textures across whole airports? I get higher frame rates on FlyTampa in San Francisco, Miami, Dubai, and Boston than I do with your FSDT JFK.

Any who; I will have certain parts of the review changed by this weekend. I'll be checking this thread a couple times a day until then if you guys want to continue discussing it.

Thanks!

Please check the airport size/complexity and the surrounding area before
do these questions.  ;)
However we have many positive "frame rate" comments from our customer about NY, here and around the web.  :)

and.. just another point of view:
"De plus, FSDT combine la qualité avec un grand respect des FPS. Avec une scène réglée sur un niveau de détail moyen, la scène affiche énormément d'objets, autogen et encore plein d'autres détails, sans que les FPS ne soient affectés."

http://www.avionic-online.com/index.php?Mnu=JFK

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2008, 10:40:41 am »
However, after messing with the settings according to your recommendations, I see only slight differences; not nearly enough improvement to change my mind about the taxiways.

Have you seen this screenshot ?

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1260.msg10164#msg10164

This is not a "slight difference", it's totally different. So, if you don't see this on your PC, we should find WHY, and you are free to contact me in private so we can check better your config.

Don't forget that we have a Demo version, which has been downloaded by many thousands of users so, by leaving your review in public like that, instead of investigating the reasons why you don't get the expected results that most of the people are getting, the only damage you do is to your review only, since we have the Demo that is far more eloquent than any review might be.

How have scenery creators such as FlyTampa been able to produce such incredibly high-quality ground textures across whole airports?

Give the ample evidence that has been given in this forum, I think that until you are not able to find your issue, and reach the quality that JFK has been designed for, it's better not comment about other "incredibly" high quality ground textures. Also, I think you said yourself that you never had this issue at KORD, why don't  commenting about that, instead ?

I get higher frame rates on FlyTampa in San Francisco, Miami, Dubai, and Boston than I do with your FSDT JFK.

These airports are all way smaller than JFK, none of them has so many terminals with so many different textures ( texture repeteability keeps vram requirements down ) and none of them stays in NYC area, which has a considerable impact on fps on its own.  Again, have you tried other airports we did, like Zurich for example ?

And, evaluating fps for a scenery should be done in the correct way. For example, if you *really* want to know the fps impact of the scenery itself, you should turn off AI entirely, because in that case you are testing more of your AI package fps impact than the scenery. This is more true, the more parking stands the airport has, and also which models appear more often, which is another variable that should be excluded for a correct judgement.

Speaking of which, I would like to point out another problem of the review: you complained about not being able to selectively turn off features, like other developers do. It IS possible to turn off features, and of course in the most logical and simpler way: by using the Scenery Complexity slider, since the scenery objects that impact the most, DO respond to the complexity slider. And, this is better than simply cutting off whole BGL, because instead of turning off all objects of a certain kind, the scenery complexity slider allows for more granularity so, at Extremely Dense everything will be in, something will disappear at Very Dense, something more at Dense, etc. This way, it would be possible to still see some objects, instead of having to choose from on or off for whole classes.

I'll be checking this thread a couple times a day until then if you guys want to continue discussing it.

I'll be away for a couple of days but, feel free to contact me anyway, so we can discuss your system config in detail, your settings, your other addons, etc.

mave128

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2008, 02:29:18 pm »
hello together,

virtuali, you are right in saying that colins statements towards the gound sharpness are wrong.
his pictures really don´t show the reality!!!

i´ve took colins points and checked them on my machine.
the ground textures are clear!!

the only thing, i believe he was pointing out, is what has been mentioned in the topic i was refering to.
the difference between asphalt and concrete. you cleared up the reason and so its fine.

best wishes,
sören
best wishes,
sören

JamesChams

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 07:03:45 pm »
Here is my point in an example:

"A joke is ment to be funny; If you have to explain the joke, then its not funny"

Someone needs to provide more documented support for FSDT products, to help users resolve their problems; Who here is willing to do that?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 01:40:20 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

mave128

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 11:28:01 pm »
... ???

what do you mean?

... ???

regards
sören
best wishes,
sören

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 06:02:57 am »
Are you saying that unless you get the documentation you want, FSDT is a joke? ???
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"

Dylan K. Duncan

• Especially KJFK by FSDT
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 03:33:50 pm »
Are you saying that unless you get the documentation you want, FSDT is a joke? ???

I think its too bad that JamesChams is still hurting from being temporarily banned from this forum three times. It looks like he only want to make trouble for FSDT.

Virtuali shows a lot of patience with JamesChams. Maybe JamesChams could show some respect in return instead of writing all his foolish stuff. This is an important topic and JamesChams does not help it.
Thank you and best regards,
Dylan

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2008, 06:10:01 pm »
This is an important topic and JamesChams does not help it.

Neither does dousing the fire with gasoline.  ;)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Dylan K. Duncan

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2008, 06:18:28 pm »
You may be right Bruce. I'm sorry if I also make trouble. I would just like to see more respect for people from Mr. Chams.

Bruce, I like your signature. It makes me laugh.  ;D

Have a good day  :D
Dylan

sundance70

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2008, 06:37:48 pm »
Guys,

I agree with Bruce, we are falling in the trap of fuelling JamesChams posts which allows him to continue to make a spectacle of himself on this forum. He is obviously frustrated with FSDT and for his own reasons continues to argue. I think Umberto has done a very good job of dealing with him and will continue to do so as I am sure this will continue.

In my opinion, he does not represent the majority of the users on this forum and if the sceneries designed by FSDT don't suit his needs for his flight simming experience, he can choose not to purchase them in the future. I personally am happy with their work and will continue to support them however way I can to promote their great sceneries.  I believe the Avsim reviewer will make the necessary changes (origin of this post) to show the greatness of this scenery.

I look forward to the next scenery and will continue to monitor this forum quietly and not let JamesChams influence my thoughts on this great company.

Thanks

David

Asus P8P67 deluxe Motherboard
Intel i7 2600K 3.4GHZ OC @ 4.8GHZ
2 x 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600MHZ Ripjaws
EVGA GTX 570 SC - Rev 296.10
ECO ALC Cool IT system
2 x 1TB Seagate HD drives 32Mo cache
Thermalake ToughPwr 1.2KW ATX PSU
22"+18.5" SAMSUNG
Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Track IR 5
Saitek X-65F

Kiwiwanabe

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2008, 06:48:43 pm »
Sundance - I agree fully with your post, except I think you are merely elaborating on Dylan's point. If you agree with Bruce that Dylan is fueling a fire, then what is it you're doing... ???

But again, I completely agree with you. I think more people should speak out against James as he is now obviously and simply trying to undermine FSDT.

Dylan K. Duncan

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2008, 07:03:56 pm »
We should let this topic be about the inacurate review AVSIM made. I have sent James Chams a private message and I'm sure he feels badly about this. I know he is a good person and will be more respecful in the future.

I'm sorry I changed the topic, but I'm sure Mr. Chams will be better now.

Everybody have a nice day please.
Dylan

coolcolin09

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2008, 12:31:50 am »
Give the ample evidence that has been given in this forum, I think that until you are not able to find your issue, and reach the quality that JFK has been designed for, it's better not comment about other "incredibly" high quality ground textures. Also, I think you said yourself that you never had this issue at KORD, why don't  commenting about that, instead ?

Because when I did comment about KORD being higher quality than the JFK taxiways, you shot me down saying that the screenshot I used as an example by a certain member has always given you amazing screenshots in contrast to another shot from someone from a potentially less-quality machine.

And to Dylan, the only inaccurate aspect of the review are the 1 or 2 things I've already explained multiple times that I'm going to amend.

I'm done posting here, so if you want to contact me about anything, email me at coolcolin09 [at] msn [dot] com. Thanks and have a nice week.

Kappa

• FSDreamTeam developer
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2008, 01:21:18 am »

Because when I did comment about KORD being higher quality than the JFK taxiways, you shot me down saying that the screenshot I used as an example by a certain member has always given you amazing screenshots in contrast to another shot from someone from a potentially less-quality machine.

And to Dylan, the only inaccurate aspect of the review are the 1 or 2 things I've already explained multiple times that I'm going to amend.

I'm done posting here, so if you want to contact me about anything, email me at coolcolin09 [at] msn [dot] com. Thanks and have a nice week.

Thank you Colin.
Just a couple of screen from my amd64 and 8800 gtx.
Have a nice week. :-)

[attachment deleted by admin]

coolcolin09

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2008, 04:07:10 am »
Just an update, I'm ordering my new PC this weekend:

ASUS P5Q Pro
E8400 3.0GHz
CORSAIR 4GB RAM
ATI 4870 512MB
ASUS VW224U 22" Monitor
Vista 64-bit

Should run quite nice on that. I may replace some screenshots as well to show any differences; I'll definitely report here to show some before/after pics to show any differences.

Thank you everyone for your feedback!