Author Topic: Help with taxing.  (Read 3469 times)

jimstiles

Help with taxing.
« on: August 12, 2015, 01:44:56 am »
Hello,

Not an issue with product, just looking for suggestion to help me if someone has a couple minutes free.  I have just purchased my 4th airport from FSDreamTeam and am enjoying the heck out of them. Not being a real pilot and not ever having anything that didn't use the progressive taxi option before making these purchases, I'm having a little trouble getting from point A to point B while on the ground.

When departing and there is only one way out of the parking area I am in, I can usually follow the signs on the ground but when there are two or more ways to exit parking, how would I be able to go in the right direction to pick up the correct taxiway?

When landing, I just wait on the follow-me truck.

Thanks for any suggestions

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Help with taxing.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 09:56:29 am »
When landing, I just wait on the follow-me truck.

The latest GSX has a Follow Me to the runway too. And, you might also combine this with the ability to specify a custom Pushback point in the scenery customization.

A custom pushback is technically able to place you anywhere on the airport, although its more common  usage is to sort out difficult gates, like those at the innermost part of a terminal, where one direction would place you inside a building and the other one with the tail facing the taxiway.

jimstiles

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:15:17 pm »
Great, thanks, I haven't updated the GSX, probably need to do that anyway and having the follow me truck to lead me out would solve that problem.

Jim

PhantomTweak

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 08:06:40 pm »
Every taxiway is marked with a sign, usually a letter, sometimes a letter with a number, like A2. If you contact Ground and they say taxi to active on taxiways A, F, and G, just look for the signs. You should already know which runway is the active, having written down the latest ATIS, by the way. It really helps to have an Airport Diagram, with such info marked on it also. And be ready to copy Ground's instructions on a notepad, they really dislike repeating themselves.
Does a this answer your questions?

jimstiles

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:39:45 pm »
Thanks, that's what I've been trying to do when I could. Where I ran into trouble was when I started out at a gate that had two different ways to reach the taxiways. I would try to tell from the airport diagram where the active runway was and try to go the shortest route but sometimes would meet an oncoming plane on the same taxiway.

If I was at a busy airport, I'd wait at the gate until a nearby plane got intructions to the same runway then just follow it.

Now that I've got my GSX updated I can always call the follow me truck if I need to. I stll try to use the signs as much as possible though.

Thanks again

Jim

PhantomTweak

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:18:51 am »
Glad to help  :)
Like I said, IF you are using ATC/Ground (I don't. Hate those guys  ;D ) then when you get your ATIS just prior to departure from the gate you will know the active, and when you contact Ground for taxi clearance they will give you which taxiway letters to use in order, from your location. Thus, if there are 2 ways out of the parking area, Ground will tell you which to use. But like I said, they take a dim view of repeating themselves  ::)
And, naturally, you can get an airport diagram for nearly every airport from various sites like Skyvector and so on. That way you can have an idea of what's where and when Ground tells you what route to take, you know where to go.
People tell me where to go all the time!
By the by, using the Follow-Me all the time is cheating! LoL!
Pat☺