Author Topic: Cannot get GSX to work in FSX:SE **SOLVED**  (Read 39206 times)

Baconbomb

Re: Cannot get GSX to work in FSX:SE
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 03:54:57 pm »
I hade the exact same problem as Fraz and the solution was to make a copy of the FSX folder in the %ProgramData% and named it FSX-SE.

I have not had Orginal FSX installed but i do have P3D v2 and a program called "migration tool" which is to simulate FSX for some addons in P3D.

I have unistalled GSX several times and downloaded the latest installer for it but i could get it to work until i tried the above.

Is there any way to change so that GSX use the %programdata%Microsoft\FSX instead? Reinstalling it dos not work.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 06:21:26 pm »
Is there any way to change so that GSX use the %programdata%Microsoft\FSX instead? Reinstalling it dos not work.

Reinstall it now, we updated again the modules now, and now the FSX Steam edition running stand-alone should be detected more reliably. You can remove the copy of the folder you made now.

fraz31383

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 12:50:50 am »

Reinstall it now, we updated again the modules now, and now the FSX Steam edition running stand-alone should be detected more reliably. You can remove the copy of the folder you made now.

Can confirm this is now the case on my system. Although I had not had a previous install of FSX disc version (had done a complete system re-install) the FSX-SE folder was created, however after re-installing GSX with the most up to date installer, this fixed the problem and the FSX-SE folder is no longer needed or present.

Baconbomb

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 05:53:06 pm »

Re-installed it and now it works without the FSX-SE folder.
Thanks for the help

razalom

Re: Cannot get GSX to work in FSX:SE **SOLVED**
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 10:12:21 am »
I am still having the issue where GSX is saying it cant find the FSX-SE. I have downloaded GSX again today and tried to install with the same issue. My FSX SE game is creating the folders just called FSX in local, roaming and Programdata so not sure why I am having this issue :(

Just tried to install KLAX and it didnt get any errors but it was not added to the scenery.cfg file in the FSX folder in ProgramData, I am guessing because it was expecting an FSX-SE folder to be there.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:41:36 am by razalom »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 01:30:11 pm »
I am still having the issue where GSX is saying it cant find the FSX-SE

This is not very clear. Are your referring to the GSX *installer* saying it cannot find FSX-SE ? Or something else ? In any case, what's the precise, exact, text of the message ?

razalom

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 09:23:31 pm »
Sorry yes the GSX Installer. Downloads the additional files ok, installs files correctly to the Steam location and then the error

C:\Users]\Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml Error on line 0, position 0:

The system cannot find the path specified

Your C:\Users]\Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml file has not been modified by this installer.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 09:29:22 pm »
Sorry yes the GSX Installer. Downloads the additional files ok, installs files correctly to the Steam location and then the error

C:\Users]\Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\dll.xml Error on line 0, position 0:

This was already discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11252.0.html

razalom

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 10:35:05 pm »
Hi there,

I have read that link and no where does it solve my problem sorry (or I am blind  ;D ). My problem is that I dont have an FSX-SE folder(s) but the installer (which I downloaded yesterday) still tries to find the the wrong named folders. All my Steam Edition folders are just called FSX as I dont have a boxed FSX installed.

If I create a blank FSX-SE folder and copy my dll.xml from the FSX folder then it updates that fine but the problem is that my sim is only looking at the folder called FSX and as such the dll.xml doesnt do anything unless I copy it across to the FSX folder.

All other addons from Orbx and Aerosoft etc and planes are installing fine and finding the correctly named FSX folders.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:40:15 pm by razalom »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:05:23 pm »
I have read that link and no where does it solve my problem sorry (or I am blind  Grin ).

The error message was the same. Since, so far, you haven't said you don't *have* an FSX-SE folder to begin with, I could only assume that, you were in the same case, since the error was identical. Now that you said you don't have a folder, then the issue is different.

My problem is that I dont have an FSX-SE folder(s) but the installer (which I downloaded yesterday) still tries to find the the wrong named folders. All my Steam Edition folders are just called FSX as I dont have a boxed FSX installed.

The installer correctly recognizes BOTH:

- An FSX Steam DUAL installation, which means FSX with its own folders and its own registry keys, and FSX:SE under its own separate FSX-SE folders

- An FSX Steam SINGLE installation, which means no FSX installed, and FSX:SE using the FSX folder and registry keys.

Of course, it can only rely on your registry to find which kind of installation you have so, if the installer is looking into an FSX-SE folder, it can only means your registry keys are pointing there, perhaps as a result of a previous dual installation, and then a removal.

To confirm this, you can activate logging in the installer this way:

- Open a command prompt  ( start -> CMD -> enter )

- go to the folder where you have the installer, for example:

CD c:\Users\Yourname\Desktop

Assuming you put the installer on the Desktop

- launch the installer (GSX, in this example) with this command:

gsx_fsx_setup.exe /log=install.log

This should hopefully create a file named install.log on your Desktop. If you have it, then send it to me ( via Email, please ).

razalom

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:11:16 pm »
OK thanks for the info will do that once I get home from work.

Cheers

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:30 am »
OK thanks for the info will do that once I get home from work.

The log you sent me by email, confirms the installer is correct, and the problem is your registry keys which are not right.

You said you installed FSX:SE without FSX. In this mode, FSX:SE will use the FSX registry keys and FSX folders. Instead, if you install FSX:SE alongside an existing FSX installation, it will use the FSX registry keys and folders.

The issue is, on your system, the registry key for FSX:SE WAS present, and pointing to its own folder on Steam, so the installer correctly assumed a Dual installation, and would use all the specific FSX:SE folders for things like XML files and .CFG files. But this is not normal, because if you installed FSX:SE stand-alone, the FSX:SE registry key should not exists.

Perhaps you installed in Dual mode, then removed FSX ? In that case, probably the registry keys remained as if they were in Dual mode, you are likely supposed to uninstall AND reinstall FSX:SE too, after an FSX removal.

Note that, you could have proceeded with the installation, if you simply replied NO to the 1st request to install into FSX Steam mode, because the installer is smart enough to check the FSX folder then, and check if there's a Steam FSX installed there, so you still have a chance to install into Steam in "Single mode", even after your replied NO to a Steam "Dual Mode" install.

razalom

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 10:47:29 am »
Hi there and thanks for checking that.

I had uninstalled FSX prior to installing FSX-SE and had used a registry cleaner to remove any traces afterwards but I am guessing it must have missed something along the way.

Have checked the HKCU and HKLM in the registry and it only mentions FSX-SE.

Oh well thanks again

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 01:00:05 pm »
I had uninstalled FSX prior to installing FSX-SE and had used a registry cleaner to remove any traces afterwards but I am guessing it must have missed something along the way.

The problem are NOT the FSX keys which were still remaining: the problem are the FSX:SE keys, which were created when FSX:SE was installed alongside FSX.

That's why I said that, after uninstalling FSX and cleaned the registry, you should have Uninstalled (and verified if the FSX:SE keys were removed) AND Reinstall FSX:SE, in order to give a chance to the FSX:SE installer to set the registry keys to be like FSX, which is what they are supposed to be on a Single installation.

Uninstalling FSX won't change the FSX:SE keys, because the FSX uninstaller doesn't know anything about them, and a registry cleaner won't (hopefully) touch something that is still installed.

Have checked the HKCU and HKLM in the registry and it only mentions FSX-SE.

And THAT'S the problem!

If you install FSX:SE stand-alone on a clean system, you are not supposed to see ANY FSX:SE keys, the registry keys will look like exactly as if were FSX, just the folders they points to, will point to the Steam installation, usually under Programs\Steam\Steamapps\common\FSX

FlyingAce

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2015, 12:54:06 pm »
Note that, you could have proceeded with the installation, if you simply replied NO to the 1st request to install into FSX Steam mode, because the installer is smart enough to check the FSX folder then, and check if there's a Steam FSX installed there, so you still have a chance to install into Steam in "Single mode", even after your replied NO to a Steam "Dual Mode" install.

That's exactly what I did. I replied No to the request to install into FSX SE. But when I check the values in the "Date modified" column for dll.xml and exe.xml it says 19/05/2015 for both. If these files were modified today by the GSX installer, wouldn't the "Date modified" reflect that?

Thanks,
Tony B.
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.