Author Topic: Couatl updater  (Read 8665 times)

Gary630

Couatl updater
« on: May 12, 2014, 03:58:48 pm »
This morning I opened FSX and received a message from Couatl that there was a new update available. Since I recently installed a new airport, I thought it might be an update for it. So, I ran the update.
Long story short, FSX shut down and will not start now. I run it as administrator, and tries to open but gets to the loading scenery and shuts down. Now I am getting the idea that this was not a legitimate update.
I tried restoring my computer  to the last Microsoft update, 5/10/2014 but it did not work. I tried using the FSX Acceleration repair disc, it did not work.

How do I get rid of Couatl's last update?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl updater
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 04:22:26 pm »
If you installed the Live Update that runs from inside FSX, with a Minor update message, the one that doesn't ask you to restart FSX, it's not possible it could cause to shutdown FSX, that's for sure, because it only updates files that are now known to FSX, but used internally by the Couatl.exe so, in the WORSE case, like getting a bad download for some reason, the worse it can happen, is that the Couatl program won't work properly but, being an external .EXE, it cannot affect FSX in any way.

If, instead, you got a prompt to a Major update, asking to exit from FSX, download and install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, that *might* stop FSX from running if, due to some kind of security product, like an antivirus or a firewall, you might have ended up with a version mismatch, with some files updated and some not, because your security software has blocked some files, but let others going through.

In this case, be sure to download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX, with the antivirus DISABLED

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

ironcondor

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04:41 am »
What did the update consist of?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:24:01 am »
What did the update consist of?

There's always an option to read the release notes before applying the update. The very last one was to fix the disappearing markings/lights at KDFW due to too strict LOD optimizations, discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,10208.0.html

Gary630

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 08:31:58 pm »
The update message, as best as I can recall, was the standard, "There is a new version available, you do not need to close FSX". There might have been more to it, and yes it did  offer a prompt to see what the update consisted of , but I did not choose it. And I do not have my anti virus on while flying.
After choosing the update, the installation progress bars appeared as normal for an update. When the progress screen closed, FSX shutdown completely. Everything I have tried will not open it. I looked in my control panel to see if it showed the update, and it did not. When I go to the FSDreamTeam files I can find folders with the update date shown on them but when I open them everything has a much older date, which I have determined was the original installation date.
Running the FSX repair disc does nothing. I have gone to Microsoft for tech support but each time they request the product name, I get a message saying product cannot be found.
What my biggest fear is, is that I will have to reinstall FSX and not be able to activate it.
I opened FSX at KDFW, and the PMDG 737NGX. I was running FS Global Real Weather, and that was about it. I usually fly for my virtual airline, but that day I decided to do a personal day of flying.
Now if I'm forced to reinstall FSX and can't activate it I see no choice but to go to X-PLane 10 or P3D. If I have to go to P3d, would I be able to load my FlightBeam and FSDreamTeam and Fly Tampa, and Imagine airports? Or would I have to purchase a whole new set.
Gary630

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 11:11:31 am »
The update message, as best as I can recall, was the standard, "There is a new version available, you do not need to close FSX".

After choosing the update, the installation progress bars appeared as normal for an update. When the progress screen closed, FSX shutdown completely.

I'm sorry, but I can only repeat and confirm the Update that doesn't restart FSX CANNOT do anything that would result in FSX shutting down, let alone making it impossible to run it after the update.

The update the doesn't require an FSX restart, doesn't change ANYTHING in the FSX files, THAT'S why it can be applied without an FSX restart to begin with! The only files that are updated by it, are only files unknown to FSX, the ones related to Couatl module that, being a separate .EXE, cannot (by definition) affect FSX in any way. Even if you got everything corrupted from the download, the worse it could happen is that Couatl might not start or work correctly, but this won't affect FSX in any way.

Running the FSX repair disc does nothing. I have gone to Microsoft for tech support but each time they request the product name, I get a message saying product cannot be found.

This is not very clear: a message from what/who ?

What my biggest fear is, is that I will have to reinstall FSX and not be able to activate it.

I don't think you'll have to reinstall FSX, if it's ok for you, we can have a Teamviewer session, because I would like to have a look at your system, to find out what really happened.

If you don't have Teamviewer, you can download it for free here:

http://www.teamviewer.com/

PM or Email me after you have it installed and ready to start a session, and send me the Session ID and Password.

startrail

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 05:31:49 pm »
after the new update and upon starting GSX all controls to DOOR , jetway and FSX keyboard commands stop operating intermittently.

Please advise how to solve this issue or return to the old update.

Thanks

Mike

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 10:42:54 am »
after the new update and upon starting GSX all controls to DOOR , jetway and FSX keyboard commands stop operating intermittently.

It's not possible the update could have anything to do with this. Nothing in the GSX program ever touches or affects any of the default FSX controls and keys.

The problem has been surely caused by something else, it's just that it might have happened at the same time as the update, you might have been mislead thinking the update could have anything to do with it.

You can use the FSX option to restore all key commands to default, this might fix your issue, but again, nothing to do with GSX.

startrail

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 03:35:24 pm »
I have already restored the fsx keys to default. I tried re installing but " no internet connection" keeps poping up  and GSX will use the .bgl file instead.

No other programs have  been  installed beside the new updater.

Do you recommend un installing and reinstalling updated and GSX.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 09:27:02 pm »
I have already restored the fsx keys to default. I tried re installing but " no internet connection" keeps poping up  and GSX will use the .bgl file instead.

As explained in many other threads in the forum, that message it's due to the fact we replaced one of the two Live Update mirror servers, so if you still ran with the old updater, you had a 50% chance of getting the server that is down right now.

To fix this, you must download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX, which will update the updater program too, that now connects to the right servers.

However, nothing of that would have any effect to your keyboard commands or caused the problem you reported. Which, BTW, you don't say if it has been fixed by resetting the FSX keys to default.

startrail

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 09:33:17 pm »
Resetting commands to default did not fix the problem

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 10:27:14 pm »
Resetting commands to default did not fix the problem

Then you probably haven't described the problem accurately because, if it was the airplane doors not opening anymore, or the jetways don't move anymore, it could only be some kind of problem with the default FSX keys.

Assuming you were using a default airplane. If you are using a 3rd party airplane that uses non-standard commands to open its doors, if something goes wrong with it, resetting the FSX default key commands won't obviously do anything to such airplane.

If this is not the case, perhaps were are discussing about different things so, please clarify exactly what do you mean with "after the new update and upon starting GSX all controls to DOOR , jetway and FSX keyboard commands stop operating intermittently", because that sentence is not clear at all, also because it seems to contain things related to default keys, and GSX things, which is very confusing.

Clearly and precisely indicate what's happening.

brucek

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 01:48:00 am »
I too installed the update (to both FSX and P3Dv2.2, at separate times yesterday) and got an error both when updating FSX and P3Dv2.2.  Now, when I go to KDEN, I get the error:
"Couatl scripting engine for FSX/ESP has stopped working"

I will try downloading and installing the stand-alone  Download Manager again and see how this works.  But please be aware that the most recent update (which does not require quitting FSX /P3D) has some issues. 

Thanks,  Bruce.

brucek

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 06:17:03 am »
Followup-  I noted in the detail of the last Couatl update that it required KFDEN v1.1, which seems to have fixed the issue I was having...

Thanks,  Bruce.