Author Topic: Trouble downloading a demo scenery of an airport  (Read 3127 times)

Nick

Trouble downloading a demo scenery of an airport
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:49:28 am »
I was wondering if there is a way to activate only the demo of scenery through the addon manager? It seems, because I have purchased the Chicago scenery, that every time I wanna download the do of an airport, I have to download a whole another addon manager package of that airport. Oddly, when I do that, the Chicago scenery disappears mysteriously.

So what I have to do to get rid of the demo is uninstall addon manager and everything within like the couatl which ultimately totally wipes away the Chicago scenery along with the demo.

So in the end I have to re download addon manager for Chicago to get my purchased scenery back up and running again.

Downloading the stand alone manager wont do much as I have tried that. I do intact have the latest Addon manager. In the end I just wanna know if there's an easier way to download a demo for a scenery. Does this make sense?

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Trouble downloading a demo scenery of an airport
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:20:43 am »
I was wondering if there is a way to activate only the demo of scenery through the addon manager?

Don't understand the question: one of the functions of the Addon Manager is exactly to activate the demo of a scenery so, it's already doing what you are asking, unless I haven't understood what you were asking here.

It seems, because I have purchased the Chicago scenery, that every time I wanna download the do of an airport, I have to download a whole another addon manager package of that airport. Oddly, when I do that, the Chicago scenery disappears mysteriously.

No, you don't. Every scenery installer comes with the Addon Manager and automatically install it, and they always include the most current version (which is downloaded online anyway, so it's *surely* the most current version of it)

So what I have to do to get rid of the demo is uninstall addon manager and everything within like the couatl which ultimately totally wipes away the Chicago scenery along with the demo.

Again, you are not very clear: first you asked how to activate the demo of a scenery, now you are asking how to get rid of it. By "getting rid of it", do you mean activate the scenery so the demo message will go away, or uninstall a scenery you downloaded to try it ?

Because, obviously, to uninstall a scenery, you simply run its Uninstaller from the Windows Control Panel, and this will NOT remove the Addon Manager and Couatl (stopping other installed sceneries from working), unless you explicitly told to do it, by replying YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl engine?" which are made at the end.

And, you don't get just these messages: there ALSO a clear warning stating that, if you reply YES to those questions, all products requiring the Addon Manager and Couatl will stop working, and you have to acknowledge this message too, in order for the uninstaller to *really* remove the Addon Manager.

So in the end I have to re download addon manager for Chicago to get my purchased scenery back up and running again.

If you replied YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl engine?" and you go ahead after the warning that tells you that doing that will stop any other product from working, then obviously yes, you have to REINSTALL the Addon Manager, because this is exactly the effect which was described in the two warnings above. You don't obviously have to DOWNLOAD it again, provided you use the most current version of the Addon Manager installer.

Downloading the stand alone manager wont do much as I have tried that. I do intact have the latest Addon manager.

If you download (again, NOT needed if you *already* have the most current version of its installer) the Addon Manager, the scenery WILL surely work again.

The issue is, if you have AN OLD version of KORD scenery, and you insist wanting to use it with the CURRENT version of the Addon Manager, then yes, it might not work, but you should see a warning about you having an old version of the KORD scenery, suggesting you to upgrade. However, since we put an option to stop you for getting these notifications, it's possible you asked the Addon Manager in the past to stop alerting for old sceneries installed, and forgot about it, so you won't be notified, but this won't automatically make an old scenery working with the current Addon Manager, because it won't.

So, it's possible the real reason you don't have your installed scenery working again, even when reinstalling the Addon Manager after having removed it, it's because you have an OLD version of KORD installed so, the correct solution should be installing KORD using the most current installer, not keep playing with the Addon Manager trying to make it work with your version, because it will never will.

In the end I just wanna know if there's an easier way to download a demo for a scenery. Does this make sense?

Downloading a demo can't be easier, just download it and install it. But if you have old versions of a scenery, they might not work with the most current version of the Addon Manager that come with the current sceneries, so you will have to upgrade the installed scenery too.

We have a notification of old sceneries installed, of course, but several users asked if it was possible to turn it off, so we added this feature, but if you use it (and you might forgot about it), you are left on your own to keep track of scenery upgrades.

Nick

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 05:55:52 pm »
My apologies for not making myself clear. You have answered my numerous questions,however one more has arises after reading all of our answers. Because I can activate the demo and as I know the full scenery through Addon Manager. How do I go about trying the demo through addon manager. Hope I'm clear on this, if not, apologies in advance. Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 06:24:25 pm »
Because I can activate the demo and as I know the full scenery through Addon Manager. How do I go about trying the demo through addon manager. Hope I'm clear on this

This question is even more obscure than the first ones...I really don't understand what you are asking, the concept can't be simpler:

1) If you download and install a scenery you haven't purchased, its installer will install everything that is needed to use it, (Scenery+Addon Manager) and it will work in Trial mode, you don't have to "do" anything, and when you go to that airport, a message will clearly announce you are in Trial mode for that scenery, which means buildings will disappear after 5-6 minutes, then you'll have to restart FSX in order to see the scenery again, for 5-6 minutes at time.

2) If you BUY the scenery from the Addon Manager, or if you activate it manually with a Serial Number obtained by purchasing it on the Web site, it will work in full, without doing anything extra or downloading anything.