Author Topic: Las Vegas "trial" started but not on my machine  (Read 5362 times)

Opa

Las Vegas "trial" started but not on my machine
« on: June 21, 2011, 12:10:58 pm »

Hoppe you can help - recently re-installed FS2004 and then re-install my purchased copies of O'Hare and Dallas-Ft.Worth.  They work just fine.

Happen to try to start a flight at KLAS (Las Vegas) and I am getting a message that my trial period for KLAS has started.

I do not have your KLAS on my machine.

The airport area is largely covered with a white texture blocking a good portion of the default runway.

Any ideas what is going on?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Las Vegas "trial" started but not on my machine
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 01:35:40 pm »
If the Addon Manager says Trial for KLAS started, it means you have installed KLAS. Most likely, you have reinstalled FS9 without running all the proper uninstallers and cleaning up its folder so, some files are still there, but not all of it, because if you see a white large area, it means the .BGL from KLAS are still there, but all the textures are missing.

When reinstalling FS9 from scratch, always run the proper uninstallers for products, then run the FS9 uninstaller, then remove the FS9 folder.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 04:57:32 pm »

Hoppe you can help - recently re-installed FS2004 and then re-install my purchased copies of O'Hare and Dallas-Ft.Worth.  They work just fine.

Happen to try to start a flight at KLAS (Las Vegas) and I am getting a message that my trial period for KLAS has started.

I do not have your KLAS on my machine.

The airport area is largely covered with a white texture blocking a good portion of the default runway.

Any ideas what is going on?

David,

The same thing happened to you once before, no?  Maybe the same issue with the KLAS_parte1SFND.bgl from the 1st release of KDFW?

Discovered a strange issue this morning.

I do not (and never have) have FSDreamteam KLAS installed on my FS2004 setup.  However when I start at KLAS, I get the message that the trial time has started.  I do have another (freeware) KLAS installed and yours does seem to be displaying (at least partially) somehow as it blocks out a part of the other enhancement until the "trial" time expires - then everything is back to normal.

I do have KDFW and KORD (with the latest update) from you folks installed (purchased versions).

I have searched my HD for anything from FSdreamteam which might be related to KLAS but find nothing.

Any ideas?  I am stumpted.  Hope you can help.

UPDATE:

I believe I found the problem!

In my KDFW scenery subfolder was a file named KLAS_parte1SFND.bgl

I removed it and KLAS displays normally now.

How it got there is a mystery unless it was accidently included in the original KDFW download package.  I only found it in the FS2004 version.

Hope that info may help someone else who has the same issue.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »
Yes, of course it must be it. Usually, we have to assume one installs the latest version of the scenery, especially considering KDFW was updated in August 2010, and the issue was fixed back then.

Opa

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »
Yes, of course it must be it. Usually, we have to assume one installs the latest version of the scenery, especially considering KDFW was updated in August 2010, and the issue was fixed back then.

Thank uou Unberto - that was indeed the problem.

I had forgotton we went thru this before and what the solution was.

You might want to advise the "team" which first responded to my question this time as their "canned" response ignored that I clearly stated that I did not have KLAS on my machine.

I note you mention an "update" to KDFW - is this something I should have (i.e. does it make an already superb KDFW any better?) and if so, how would I go about getting and installing it?

Thanks again for having a better memory than I.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:11:32 pm »
You might want to advise the "team" which first responded to my question this time as their "canned" response ignored that I clearly stated that I did not have KLAS on my machine.

I replied to your question, there's no such thing as a "canned" response here, I simply forgot of that issue, also because it lasted only a few days after release (KDFW was released August 6th 2010, the installer was already fixed the next day).

I surely noted you said you don't have KLAS on your machine, but that didn't automatically mean you *never* had it before, which is why I've said to be sure nothing was left of it, which is very easy situation to end up, if you uninstall FS9 without uninstalling *all* addons first (the FS9 uninstaller will only remove what was installed by it so, if you reinstall it in the same folder, you'll end up with leftover files)

I note you mention an "update" to KDFW - is this something I should have (i.e. does it make an already superb KDFW any better?) and if so, how would I go about getting and installing it?

The updated was announced on the forum, here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3391.0

And was released just 3 days after the main product.

Opa

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:33:05 pm »
Thanks once again - I must apologize for the way I worded my last response.

It just seemed that the initial response was much like one gets when one calls telephone support for many products these days - an answer read from a script.

I will check the update.  

As always you have been very helpful and prompt to respond also.  It is much appreciated.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 09:25:15 am by virtuali »

skimmer

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 05:24:18 am »
I got -trial version of Flightbeam KSFO has started. I emailed them and I just got an email from them, that said there was a bug with old FSDT addon manager and I should install new one.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 10:06:58 am »
I got -trial version of Flightbeam KSFO has started. I emailed them and I just got an email from them, that said there was a bug with old FSDT addon manager and I should install new one.

Yes, similar issue, but exactly the same.

In case of KDFW, we included a file coming from KLAS by mistake in the installer, with KFSO it was the opposite, we haven't listed a file in KSFO which the Addon Manager needs to check to know if the scenery is *really* installed, and not activate when the user simply enters the area.

In any case, we fix these things usually a couple of hours after discovering them, KDFW and KSFO were fixed the next day they were released and, since all the installers download the latest version of the Addon Manager automatically when they start, it's usually enough to just reinstall the scenery.

HOWEVER, in case of KDFW, the scenery was ALSO significantly updated, it was not just a matter of fixing this very minor issue, which is why, in THIS case, I've told the user to download the scenery again, since he was using the original release, but the current 1.0.3 it's a lot better so, it's not a good idea to get the updated Addon Manager only, but to update the scenery as well.