Author Topic: Error Propagation installing GSX on Linux  (Read 641 times)

smyalygames

Error Propagation installing GSX on Linux
« on: June 06, 2023, 09:14:55 pm »
Hiya,

I understand that GSX is only supported for Windows, and that if you don't want to help me at all, I'd completely understand. I did take a gamble and see if GSX would work, as I got the PMDG 737 to work, running MSFS in Proton.

I have managed to get the installer to run and activate GSX, but when I do try to install GSX, I get an Error Propagation, and for the install to silently fail straight after.

Only thing I don't know is if this problem lies with me using an ext4 file system instead of NTFS, or if there are potentially missing libraries, as I think I did have to replace some Windows DLLs earlier to get the activation working (I messed around so much, I don't even remember if I didn't need to do this the first time). And I do see that the installer is creating folders, so I'm not entirely sure what propagation really is, as there's not a lot of information available to me to figure this out.

I attached a screenshot below with this specific error message:
Code: [Select]
Error Propagation flags need inheritance flags.
Parameter name: propagationFlags trying to create package folder

layercom

Re: Error Propagation installing GSX on Linux
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 12:28:02 am »
Steam support linux did you install msfs via steam?

I sure gsx expect an ntfs, id say try it.

I wanted to test this out install a supported linux and steam client then install msfs, but for advanced addons like gsx it would not probally work

smyalygames

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 02:02:40 am »
Steam support linux did you install msfs via steam?

I sure gsx expect an ntfs, id say try it.

I wanted to test this out install a supported linux and steam client then install msfs, but for advanced addons like gsx it would not probally work

I did install MSFS from Steam, I don't think it is possible to do it via the Microsoft Store.

It is very difficult for me to use NTFS on Linux as the file system is proprietary, I don't think it works well on Linux be it performance or just other problems there may be. :(

But if you do want to try MSFS on Linux with Steam/Proton, it would most likely require you to use Protontricks, and maybe sometimes a bit of knowledge in how Linux works. But ORBX Central and Volanta worksTM under Proton, PMDG required a bit of config for the Operations Center, and Navigraph just needed a way to get the browser to support the authentication system they use. Most of the time, if you're just installing mods that require a drag and drop, it is quite simple.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 12:31:25 pm »
Looking at the error message, it seems the issue happens when the installer is trying to set permissions on the installation folder, since it's very likely NTFS ACL and Ext4 ACL are quite different, so the standard .NET call we use fails, so the installer that is trapping exception, is logging the problem and doesn't continue.

We'll add an explicit check in the next update ( due out later today ), that will check if we are running under Linux/Proton, so it will skip the permission setting routine. Note that, I can't guarantee this will work, because the next issue would be requiring to create a Symbolic link, and those are only supported in NTFS, I have no idea if the Proton environment is able to intercept the call to create a Windows Symbolic Link and route it to create a Linux link instead, if it does, it should work.

smyalygames

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 09:55:06 pm »
Looking at the error message, it seems the issue happens when the installer is trying to set permissions on the installation folder, since it's very likely NTFS ACL and Ext4 ACL are quite different, so the standard .NET call we use fails, so the installer that is trapping exception, is logging the problem and doesn't continue.

We'll add an explicit check in the next update ( due out later today ), that will check if we are running under Linux/Proton, so it will skip the permission setting routine. Note that, I can't guarantee this will work, because the next issue would be requiring to create a Symbolic link, and those are only supported in NTFS, I have no idea if the Proton environment is able to intercept the call to create a Windows Symbolic Link and route it to create a Linux link instead, if it does, it should work.

Wow, thank you so much for the quick fix, this allowed me to download GSX :))

I will say that there is a problem with creating a symbolic link, but it's a very easy manual fix. I also have a screenshot of it working, I did this on a fresh install on my old computer as I RMA'd parts from my new computer, so default A320 it is.

Here is a guide for whoever wants to attempt this themselves:

The installer gives an error when finishing the install with RegAsm.exe missing (see screenshot), I don't know if this is a required component, but you would only need to create a symlink (make sure to change the path to the Proton folder depending on what version of Proton you use, or if you installed MSFS elsewhere, change the directory to match that)
ln -s ~/.steam/root/steamapps/common/Proton\ 8.0/dist/lib/wine/i386-windows/regasm.ex 
e ~/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata/1250410/pfx/drive_c/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/regasm.exe

Using Protontricks(https://github.com/Matoking/protontricks) is the easiest way to run the installer

Run the FSDT Installer in Protontricks, you may be able to right click and run the file with Protontricks, or running the command below in the terminal
protontricks 1250410 --guiThen when dismissing all the warnings that pop up, click ok to "Select the default wineprefix", then "Run explorer", find the installer and run it.

If you get the same error I got in this post or it seems like it does nothing when installing GSX, close the installer and run it from C:\users\Public\Desktop, find FSDT Installer and run it, it should update the installer. You'll have to find this path in steamapps/compdata or you can use "Run explorer" from Protontricks.

The installer will most likely not create Symlinks, so you will have to do this manually, and clicking "Relink" will make the installer freeze, so there are only 2 things you need to run in the terminal (if you didn't install MSFS in the default location, make sure to change that when running the 2 commands)
ln -s ~/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata/1250410/pfx/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/ 
Addon\ Manager/MSFS/fsdreamteam-gsx-pro ~/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata/1250410/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser 
/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft\ Flight\ Simulator/Packages/Community/fsdreamteam-gsx-pro
ln -s ~/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata/1250410/pfx/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/ 
Addon\ Manager/MSFS/fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways ~/.steam/root/steamapps/compatdata/1250410/pfx/drive_c/us 
ers/steamuser/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft\ Flight\ Simulator/Packages/Community/fsdreamteam-gsx-world-of-jetways

And now GSX should work in MSFS :)

Just a warning if you're changing Proton versions or revalidating MSFS in Steam to deactivate GSX in the FSDT Installer as it can wipe your activation for GSX

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 10:14:26 pm »
The installer gives an error when finishing the install with RegAsm.exe missing (see screenshot), I don't know if this is a required component

The Regasm.exe is part of a standard .NET distribution, and it's used to register .NET libraries, in this case, the QLM/Soraco libraries which are required by the activation system. If the installer fails to register them, it might not be a big problem, since the updater will also register them as well, if there was a problem with those, you couldn't activate GSX so, I guess you can ignore the installer warning.