Author Topic: Install of FSDT Universal Installer  (Read 2907 times)

por930

Install of FSDT Universal Installer
« on: February 21, 2022, 03:06:32 am »
Hi Umberto, I saw where you have released a new FSDT Installer. It said on install, which I did not proceed, It noticed I had already installed products using FSDT Live Update, so this installation of the Universal Installer will use the same folder previously used to install products, to keep them all together.

Before I create havoc in my FSDT system, if my previous FSDT products were in my E:\Addon Manager\ folder, the installer is saying, if I do not change the folder, all "present and Future" FSDT product will remain here.

If I wanted all my FSDT product to be re-located from E:\Addons to D:\ FSDT, I would have to manually uninstall all FSDT product from E:\Addons and manually reinstall to D:\FSDT. As the Universal Installer will then be set up for the new D:\FSDT folder, it will locate FSDT product in future. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:35:37 am by por930 »
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Install of FSDT Universal Installer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 11:34:02 am »
Hi Umberto, I saw where you have released a new FSDT Installer. It said on install, which I did not proceed, It noticed I had already installed products using FSDT Live Update, so this installation of the Universal Installer will use the same folder previously used to install products, to keep them all together.

Of course. The new installer ( which for P3D and FSX is not yet an installer ), it's JUST a ( greatly ) updated version of the existing Live Update and, when it runs as an updater, it's a direct replacement for the old one.

So no, no uninstall is required. It will just use whatever folder structure you already set up, and will see all products installed (or not) and activated (or not) as they were.

That's the normal behavior. Now, you say you want to relocate everything to a different drive. In this case, it's best if you follow this procedure:

- Uninstall all the currently installed products AND ( important ) reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager ?"

- Reinstall them all. Strictly speaking, you need to uninstall ONLY your FSX/P3D products. On the first product you'll install, you WILL be asked to select a new destination for the Addon Manager folder, provided you replied YES to the question of the previous step.

You might wonder why this is required, if we have a new Universal Installer but it is, IF some of your products are for FSX/P3D, because the Uninstaller can't install them from scratch yet, but we'll surely add this feature in the future. It's just that installing a product in FSX, P3D1,2,3,4,5 is way more complex than installing it for MSFS, so we need to test it first thoroughly before releasing it to the public.

So, if you have FSX/P3D products, or a mix of FSX/P3D and MSFS products, you must uninstall them all and reinstall all the ones for FSX/P3D using their own normal Full installer. The MSFS product don't need to be reinstalled from their own original installer anymore, because those CAN be installer with the Universal Installer right now.

- Finally, install the Universal Installer, which will automatically direct itself to the Addon Manager folder you just selected during the Reinstall. If you have MSFS products too, you can install them now, directly from within the Universal Installer

So, basically, if you kept full installers for MSFS, you can safely delete them, since the Universal Installer is replacing them all, and installation from there it's both easier and faster. In the near future, we'll achieve the same result for FSX/P3D products as well, so the Universal installer will be the one and only program you'll ever need.

por930

Re: Install of FSDT Universal Installer
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 01:17:58 pm »
Thanks Umberto, fantastic explanation. The Universal Installer is a live update on steroids.
I thought it smart to make the Installer atypical...suitable for FSX, P3D and MSFS.

Love your products, especially GSX. They make visiting airports come alive.
Geoff