Author Topic: Pauses on Departure from KJFK - GSX  (Read 3189 times)

alpha3

Pauses on Departure from KJFK - GSX
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:22:50 am »
Installed GSX on FSX and spent some time with the program. Very impressed and has worked very well. However, when departing from FSDT KJFK V2 in the PMDG 777, I get two 3-4 second annoyingly long simulator pauses on departure about 5 miles out from the airport at ~3000ft. The simulator performs as normal after the pauses. When I disable GSX and perform the same departure, there are no pauses. I spent years getting the stutters and pauses out of this simulator, so it's disappointing to see this. I have flown the PMDG 777 out of KJFK many times before with a smooth 30fps frame rate and have never had a pause of any length. Help appreciated.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Pauses on Departure from KJFK - GSX
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:07:48 pm »
GSX cannot cause pauses when leaving the airport, since it doesn't create anything and it doesn't do anything, except checking which airports are around you, which is not something that can pause the sim, since it's done in the background without creating objects (only created objects can pause the sim) with the code running entirely outside the sim.

Nobody else reported this before. It's normal you would have a pause at the parking, when all the GSX objects are being created, but not when flying.

However, in order to be sure of this, I tried a departure from JFK with the PMDG 777, and couldn't notice any pause: just the 777 that halved my fps from about 45-50 with a default airplane, to about 20-25, but no pauses I could see.

However, I departed from a random runway, so it might be useful if you could say which runway you departed from, which direction you took, and the approximate location where you had the pauses, so I could try under the same conditions.

alpha3

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2016, 07:45:22 am »
Hi Umberto - First of all, thanks for the great work you guys have done at FSDT! Second, here's the scenario: PMDG 777-200LR at KJFK v2 Terminal 7. Accept catering and passenger load with 300s set for both. Verbosity OFF (no messages). Accept push-back and taxi to RWY 31R and depart per RWY heading. The pauses occur between 2kft and 5kft and last 3-4 seconds each. I was able to reproduce this twice. If I do the same scenario without activating GSX at all (although the add-on is still enabled), there are no pauses.

FSX configuration: Sliders maxed but no AutoGen, no AI traffic, and no water textures. Using TrackIR and AS16 with GEX NA ground textures, REX sky textures and REX soft clouds. Rig is an I7-4790k watercooled and overclocked to 5 Ghz. Video card is a GTX780ti running stock at 1 Ghz. Rig was built for flight simulation.

That's about it. I just installed GSX this weekend and noticed the pauses on the first departure with the 777. I had never seen this before and could only reproduce when I went through the GEX procedure as outlined above.
Thanks!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 04:05:31 pm »
I tried it now, started from Terminal 7, asked for Pushback, called a Follow Me to runway 31R and followed to the runway, then I departed on a straight heading.

Couldn't notice anything unusual, other than a very brief pause when most of Manhattan came in view, which is to be expected, and surely would happen just the same even if GSX wasn't installed.

alpha3

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 12:41:53 am »
If you're getting a pause on the default Manhattan load, then that is an entirely different performance issue, but I can assure you I have never experienced that. Otherwise, this has been the easiest FSX anomaly for me to isolate and reproduce. I've replicated it twice since. If I go through the GSX motions at terminal 7 and perform a 31R departure, the pauses occur for the same amount of time and at the same altitude and distance from KJFK V2. If I either disable, or just not activate GSX, and perform the identical departure, smooth as butter up to FL370.

When I have time I'll put on my surgical gloves and look at memory usage and other parameters to see what's going on with this add-on, but I did that for years and nowadays I just like to fly. Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 10:10:40 am »
If you're getting a pause on the default Manhattan load, then that is an entirely different performance issue, but I can assure you I have never experienced that.

But the issue is, that's the only thing I have found, trying to following the same path as in your report.

I've replicated it twice since. If I go through the GSX motions at terminal 7 and perform a 31R departure, the pauses occur for the same amount of time and at the same altitude and distance from KJFK V2. If I either disable, or just not activate GSX, and perform the identical departure, smooth as butter up to FL370.

Could you please indicate the exact coordinates ? My (brief) pause happened quite close to the outer marker.