Author Topic: Follow me runs all over the place? Normal?  (Read 7464 times)

Clutch Cargo

• MileHigh Productions
Follow me runs all over the place? Normal?
« on: May 24, 2013, 04:09:56 pm »
Hey I always wanted to ask this and finally remembered.

I can be at FSDT KLAS and call up the Follow Me car to take me to the gate.  What I see is the car cutting across taxiways, over the grass through buildings (terminal).  This is only with FSDT add-on added, no special AFCAD just whatever came with the product.  This has happen a few times.

So is this normal?  I thought the car would follow the AFCAD.

Also, does GSX update its airports database (or whatever it is using), every time I check or un-check an add-on airport or scenery to keep current or would I have to restart P3D?  I am using P3D.

THx

Clutch
Clutch Cargo
"Long Live the Tak"

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Follow me runs all over the place? Normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 04:28:12 pm »
This is only with FSDT add-on added, no special AFCAD just whatever came with the product.  This has happen a few times.

First, check if GSX is really using the FSDT AFACD, this can be verified by opening the parking customization menu, that will list the name of the AFCAD in use.

So is this normal?  I thought the car would follow the AFCAD.

No, it's not. The car obviously follows the AFCAD. If this happens with the AFCAD supplied with the scenery, please indicate the destination gate you requested and the position you where when you requested the Follow Me car.

If another AFCAD was in use, please indicate its name. However, if another AFCAD it's in use, lots of other things wouldn't work in GSX, such as docking systems and our airport customization.

Also, does GSX update its airports database (or whatever it is using), every time I check or un-check an add-on airport or scenery to keep current or would I have to restart P3D?  I am using P3D.

It not needed to restart the sim, P3D doesn't make any difference, and in any case, you can also restart Couatl with its own menu.

Jetsetter

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 12:03:06 pm »

I had the same problem yesterday. I landed at Munich Int and requested the follow me vehicle which came straight out. All went well with the vehicle keeping a steady pace and on the taxi line. Then it suddenly deviated from the taxi way and across the airport apron and then stopped until I caught up with it. It then went back onto the correct taxi route all the way to the gate. Why it had this intermediate blip I don't know. A possible software bug!

I only purchased this software yesterday and checked for any updates, so the software is fully up to date.
Windows 7 Home 64bit - 128GB Crucial M4 SSD - 2TB Master Hard Drive
Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Patriot Viper V3 Red Performance/Gaming RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - FSX Gold - GSX - FS Cabin Crew -ASN SP3

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 07:33:33 pm »
I had the same problem yesterday. I landed at Munich Int and requested the follow me vehicle which came straight out.

As explained many times already (even in the last message), whenever you report something unusual, ALWAYS report ALL the following informations:

- The scenery used. If it's not default, indicate the scenery and the name of the AFCAD in use (as I've said in the previous message, this can be verified by opening the parking customization menu, that will list the name of the AFCAD in use).

- The destination gate you requested and the position you where when you requested the Follow Me car.

ONLY after we have ALL the above information, we can check if it's really a GSX bug, or it's a bug in the scenery AFCAD, which most of the time happens to be the case.

Jetsetter

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:34:20 pm »
It was the fsx default scenery and i had just landed and exited the runway. I will check what gate requested and get to back to you.

I notice that you regularly say 'as it has been mentioned many times'.  This is all very well for the regulars who know how this site operates, but for a new comer such as me I find it patronising.

Intel Core i7 4+4 Core 2600K 3.4Ghz 8MB L3 CACHE - ThermalTake Contac29 Cooler 16GB DDR3 2133Mhz Patriot Viper V3 Red Performance/Gaming RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB PCI-E 3.0 Ready Graphics - FSX Gold - GSX - FS Cabin Crew -ASN SP3

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:42:29 pm »
I notice that you regularly say 'as it has been mentioned many times'.  This is all very well for the regulars who know how this site operates, but for a new comer such as me I find it patronising.

Well, since you said I've "regularly" say this, it shows you HAVE followed previous threads...

It's just a suggestion to use the "Search" function, which is there for a reason: allow YOU to find a possible solution without having to WAIT for a reply so, it's all for your own benefit.

In this case, there wasn't any need to search in threads: my request to include the  destination gate requested and the position when the Follow Me car was in this very thread, in the message immediately before your own.

Jetsetter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 10:31:47 am »

I cannot retrieve the gate information, but I have provided an image attachment if that is of any help. (Munich Int Airport)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 10:36:36 am »
I cannot retrieve the gate information, but I have provided an image attachment if that is of any help. (Munich Int Airport)

Just open the GSX parking customization page when you are there, and read the Gate number.

Jetsetter

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 05:09:59 pm »

It's highlighting 101, but is that the actual gate or just being highlighted because that is the first in the list.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 11:12:45 pm »
It's highlighting 101, but is that the actual gate or just being highlighted because that is the first in the list.

The highlighted parking in the list should be the parking you were on. To be sure of this, you can open that page using the "6 - Customize this parking position" menu item of the CTRL+F12 GSX menu when parked.

Also, try to remember your approximate position when you called the Follow Me car, for example something like "after landing on runway xxx".

Jetsetter

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 09:19:56 am »
OK.

Fortunately I always save my approach and landings, so I should be able to replicate the same scenario with a screen shot.

Apologies for hijacking your post Clutch Cargo.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:21:50 am by Jetsetter »

Jetsetter

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »
The screen shot below is the same taxi way used originally.

First attempt.
Requested taxi to the gate with Munich ground and was given gate G205. Then I requested the follow me car which turned up as requested and off we went. All was going fine with the follow me car keeping to the taxi way. We were well on our way to the parking gate when out of nowhere a default FSX ground service vehicle cut right across the front of me causing a crash. Flight reset.

Second attempt, same taxi way.
Requested taxi to the gate with Munich ground and was given gate G212. Then I requested the follow me car which turned up as requested and off we went. Again all was going well with the follow me car keeping to the taxi way. Then we turned a corner on the taxi way only to be met with another jet taxiing towards us on the same taxi way!. We both came to a halt but the follow me vehicle drove straight through the other jet and stopped the other side to wait for me. The other jet was not going to move so I have to manoeuvre around it and pick up the follow me vehicle. Finally we make it to the gate. A bit of a palaver though.

So to summarise.

Apart from either being cut up and stopped in my tracks the follow me vehicle behaved itself.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:55:56 pm by Jetsetter »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2013, 06:10:49 pm »
We were well on our way to the parking gate when out of nowhere a default FSX ground service vehicle cut right across the front of me causing a crash. Flight reset.

This wasn't obviously a GSX Follow me problem: it would have happened just the same even if you were taxiing on your own.

Then we turned a corner on the taxi way only to be met with another jet taxiing towards us on the same taxi way!

The Follow me car doesn't know anything about other vehicles. Since FSX AFCAD do not have the concept of taxiway directions (eg. one-way taxiways), it would probably impossible to find a path without causing traffic deadlocks anyway.

Jetsetter

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 06:16:43 pm »

Oh well, let's hope the first follow me vehicle glitch was a one off.