Author Topic: Any replacement sounds available for the default boarding/deboarding sounds?  (Read 9165 times)

WebMaximus

I found some old posts regarding this where people found the default boarding/deboarding sounds is GSX to be a bit repetitive and I guess some updates of GSX have been released since then where these sounds might have been improved but I honestly still find them a bit repetitive and some parts of them are quite annoying.

So...thought I ask all the GSX experts in here if there are any alternative GSX boarding/deboarding sounds available for download somewhere?

Thanks in advance!
Richard Åsberg

StevenK

There are no alternative sounds that i have come across BUT you can edit and change them to suit.

You can find them here {FSX LOCATION}\fsdreamteam\couatl\gsx\sounds
There are a number of files in there that you can edit and change just like i did.

IMPORTANT
Make sure you make a backup of the OLD files BEFORE you edit them
You can also make a backup of your new files as they MAY be replaced in updates

Hope this helps
Steven Kiberton
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz | Coolermaster Hyper TX3 | ASUS Motherboard M5A 78L-M | 16GB DDR3 RAM | EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1gb PCI Express DDR3 DVI HDMI | 750w Corsair AX750 | 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD | x2 - 20" WideScreen Monitors

WebMaximus

OK, thanks but not sure how I could change them myself. Was more hoping someone already made some alternative sounds but maybe I'll have a look anyway and see what I can come up with.
Richard Åsberg

StevenK

you could use some free audio software
Audacity is a good free one that will allow you to replace the sound files
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Youtube would be a good place for sound samples but you need to contact the creator of that video.
Or you could do what i did and go to your local airport and sit in the arrival lounge and record some sound sets of your own.
You could even add some background music to them.

Play around with them and you will get them to what you are happy with

Just a tip. Dont make the volume too loud that you can hear them over the top of your cockpit noise.
Do them faint in the background like it is in the real world.

Have fun
Steven Kiberton
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 3.3Ghz | Coolermaster Hyper TX3 | ASUS Motherboard M5A 78L-M | 16GB DDR3 RAM | EVGA Geforce GTX 550 Ti 1gb PCI Express DDR3 DVI HDMI | 750w Corsair AX750 | 1TB HDD + 120GB SSD | x2 - 20" WideScreen Monitors

WebMaximus

Actually I already have Audacity and I know you can do lots of cool stuff like adding effects and so on but what you mean is to simply replace the origional sound files with new ones containing  your own sounds?

If taking that approach couldn't I use almost any application capable of saving wav files?

One other thing, if my memory serves me the original boarding and deboarding sounds are different depending if you're in the cockpit or in external view. Does that mean there's both internal and external sound sets?

Well, guess I'll have a look at it myself tomorrow. Must admit it would be cool if I was able to come up with my own custom sounds and especially if they are from real life! I do have ESSA only some 15 minutes drive from where I live so that wouldn't be a problem. Not sure though what sounds I would record that would suite as realistic boarding and deboarding sounds without actually board an aircraft since I need a flight attendant welcoming people aboard :)
Richard Åsberg

WebMaximus

Started looking into this and was amazed by all GSX sounds available and can't help wondering what some of them are for and when they will be played like dance2.wav and Handcuffs_Clicking.wav :D
Richard Åsberg

StevenK

Actually I already have Audacity and I know you can do lots of cool stuff like adding effects and so on but what you mean is to simply replace the origional sound files with new ones containing  your own sounds?
Yes

If taking that approach couldn't I use almost any application capable of saving wav files?
Yes

One other thing, if my memory serves me the original boarding and deboarding sounds are different depending if you're in the cockpit or in external view. Does that mean there's both internal and external sound sets?
Im not sure on that one
I just made them the same as the other ones just a little quieter

Well, guess I'll have a look at it myself tomorrow. Must admit it would be cool if I was able to come up with my own custom sounds and especially if they are from real life! I do have ESSA only some 15 minutes drive from where I live so that wouldn't be a problem. Not sure though what sounds I would record that would suite as realistic boarding and deboarding sounds without actually board an aircraft since I need a flight attendant welcoming people aboard :)
You could get a friend to record some voices for you
I got my wife to record me some.
I would be happy to share those files with you. Send me your email address in a PM

Started looking into this and was amazed by all GSX sounds available and can't help wondering what some of them are for and when they will be played like dance2.wav and Handcuffs_Clicking.wav :D
You will like the "dance2.wav" when it happens (it will be when parking with the marshaller)
Steven Kiberton

WebMaximus

Very kind of you but this discussion making your own sounds got me going and I actually find it part of the fun trying to come up with something good on your own so I will give it a go and create my own files first and if I don't succeed I might take you up for that offer.

Cool about that dance wav and I imagine when you do a bad parking is when you will hear that hand cuff sound ;)
Richard Åsberg

StevenK

Cool about that dance wav and I imagine when you do a bad parking is when you will hear that hand cuff sound ;)

not sure what that one is for lol
good luck with the sounds
Steven Kiberton

WebMaximus

Maybe it for when the ground crew suspect you might have some more than juice and coffee to drink when you do that bad parking ;)

Thanks, will be fun trying to come up with some great custom sounds and will look further into it tomorrow!
Richard Åsberg

jasonboche

I've only gotten 1 dance from the Marshaller. He is extremely critical.

WebMaximus

Found some rather good boarding clips on YouTube and ended up using one of them after downloading only the sound from it and doing some own modifications to only keep the part I wanted. Must say I'm very pleased with the result! Having that real sound of people boarding does a lot for the overall immersion during preflight I think!

I also removed all the other boarding and deboarding sounds since I found them very repetitive so now I only have the main boarding/deboarding sound and it works great so thanks for the great idea!!
Richard Åsberg

StevenK

Found some rather good boarding clips on YouTube and ended up using one of them after downloading only the sound from it and doing some own modifications to only keep the part I wanted. Must say I'm very pleased with the result! Having that real sound of people boarding does a lot for the overall immersion during preflight I think!

I also removed all the other boarding and deboarding sounds since I found them very repetitive so now I only have the main boarding/deboarding sound and it works great so thanks for the great idea!!

No problem
Glad i could help
Steven Kiberton